Menu

In Case You're Wondering...

You know, I can see what they're getting at. Homeschooling is, essentially, saying, "I can do it better." And it takes a fair amount of ego strength to follow through on that statement by actually doing it yourself.

And, yeah, ego strength isn't the same as narcissism. But I can kind of see what they're getting at. I just choose to think of it as healthy narcissism. As opposed to pathological narcissism. After all, I'm right. ;)

You know, I can see what they're getting at. Homeschooling is, essentially, saying, "I can do it better." And it takes a fair amount of ego strength to follow through on that statement by actually doing it yourself.

And, yeah, ego strength isn't the same as narcissism. But I can kind of see what they're getting at. I just choose to think of it as healthy narcissism. As opposed to pathological narcissism. After all, I'm right. ;)

:iagree: I was just getting ready to say that.

:iagree:

There is nothing wrong, IMO, with having a little narcissism when it comes to caring about your child's education. OF COURSE I want the best for my kids and feel like I can do it better than a government institution (that's really not saying much, IMO).

Edited by rootsnwings

Homeschooling means that we have narcissistic traits.

According to one of the psych assessments I've undergone, that is. It literally says, 'narcissistic traits, as seen by homeschooling...'

Honestly. What a freakin bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

:eek::eek::eek:

now which one is most appropriate for your post?

:scared: or :crying: or :cursing: or :banghead: or :scared:

(btw, will catch up with you later. Going out on a date with dh tonight and relaxing for a few before I finish getting ready!)

And, apparently, wanting my children to be successful and happy is 'living through them' :glare:

Honestly. Probably best that this guy died in his sleep recently, or I might hunt him down...

(I'm not even sure how much of that is joking. The hunting down part. Apparently, he really did die)

:confused: Homeschooling is narcissistic? I guess then being a psychologist is REALLY narcissistic. I mean - thinking you're sane and have the right to determine how sane everyone else is?

(I do realize there are good Doctors out there but there are also a lot of quacks and I've been on the receiving end of those)

:confused: Homeschooling is narcissistic? I guess then being a psychologist is REALLY narcissistic. I mean - thinking you're sane and have the right to determine how sane everyone else is?

(I do realize there are good Doctors out there but there are also a lot of quacks and I've been on the receiving end of those)

The comment that I was afraid to disagree with my dh had Wolf laughing til he was almost in tears though. :001_huh:

I do see it... but yeah. Hearing from people about how the psychological community views homeschooling SO negatively is something that makes me really sad. I feel like therapists and other psychological professionals can be a lot of help for people sometimes. In my former life as a teacher, I often dealt with wonderful child therapists and psychologists. However, like some other homeschoolers, I would be extremely hesitant to ever seek one out - especially for my kids - because I've heard such horror stories about the hostility so many otherwise good therapists have toward homeschooling.

But I *can* do it better LOL. I guess I wasn't looking at it that way. Narcissists want everything to be about them. Homeschooling is about the children. I don't even have time to go to the bathroom LOL! If I were narcissistic, wouldn't I want the dc out of the way so I could bask in my own glory?

But I *can* do it better LOL. I guess I wasn't looking at it that way. Narcissists want everything to be about them. Homeschooling is about the children. I don't even have time to go to the bathroom LOL! If I were narcissistic, wouldn't I want the dc out of the way so I could bask in my own glory?

Thats what I said to SpecialMama! :lol:

Well . . . to play devil's advocate, the fact that homeschooling makes us so terribly busy could be seen as narcissism . . . it's like being a workaholic. I.e., "Everything depends on me, nothing can happen without me, if it weren't for me it'd all fall apart . . ." you know, the business being a sign of your centrality to the universe. So, in a weird way, not having a minute to yourself is comforting, because it shows that you're necessary.

(btw, I am NOT saying that this is you! "You" here is "theoretical hs'er". I'm just saying that homeschooling could be approached this way or interpreted this way. The truth is, I assume most hs'ing mothers are doing what they're called to do the best that they can do it, and it just is a time-consuming, life-altering thing.)

The comment that I was afraid to disagree with my dh had Wolf laughing til he was almost in tears though. :001_huh:

:lol: DH would have the same reaction if someone said that about me.

And I'd loved to have spoken with that dude - I'm not narcissistic to think I do a better job teaching mine than the local ps did. I have documented evidence. :D

Well . . . to play devil's advocate, the fact that homeschooling makes us so terribly busy could be seen as narcissism . . . it's like being a workaholic. I.e., "Everything depends on me, nothing can happen without me, if it weren't for me it'd all fall apart . . ." you know, the business being a sign of your centrality to the universe. So, in a weird way, not having a minute to yourself is comforting, because it shows that you're necessary.

(btw, I am NOT saying that this is you! "You" here is "theoretical hs'er". I'm just saying that homeschooling could be approached this way or interpreted this way. The truth is, I assume most hs'ing mothers are doing what they're called to do the best that they can do it, and it just is a time-consuming, life-altering thing.)

Yes, I understand. Although, not having a minute to myself is more a sign of having a 2yo than homeschooling, now that I think about it. :D