Menu

How would you write this sentence?

In the introduction to a recipe, my husband wrote:

"This is my sister-in-law, _____'s recipe...."

The copy editor is saying that as written, it says that he only has one sister-in-law. How should it read to show that the recipe came from my sister?

I'm not sure I understand how it's showing only one SIL. :confused: (I'm also not sure why this is terribly important for a cookbook, but I'm just along for the ride. :D)

Copy editor's exact comment:

"____, do you have one or more sister-in-laws? Believe it or not, the punctuation would be different! (As punctuated, _____is your only sister-in-law.)"

Back in my classroom days, students lost points for this error--the comma turns it into an antecedent.

My sister-in-law, Susie, makes great cookies. = ONE sil

My sister-in-law Susie makes great cookies. = undetermined number of sisters-in-law.

Okay, I see that. So how would it be correctly written to show ownership? Just eliminate the comma?

"This is my sister-in-law P.J.'s recipe...."

Back in my classroom days, students lost points for this error--the comma turns it into an antecedent.

My sister-in-law, Susie, makes great cookies. = ONE sil

My sister-in-law Susie makes great cookies. = undetermined number of sisters-in-law.

Ut-oh...I dont even know what an antecedent is...:tongue_smilie: Apparantly, we haven't covered that yet.

The only sister in law that I have is named Susie! HAHAHAHA

But if I had to write a sentence about any of her recipes, it would probably sound like this... Tell my sister in law, Susie, that she doesn't have to bring anything to the potluck. :lol:

In the introduction to a recipe, my husband wrote:

"This is my sister-in-law, _____'s recipe...."

The copy editor is saying that as written, it says that he only has one sister-in-law. How should it read to show that the recipe came from my sister?

I'm not sure I understand how it's showing only one SIL. :confused: (I'm also not sure why this is terribly important for a cookbook, but I'm just along for the ride. :D)

Copy editor's exact comment:

"____, do you have onehttp://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2272321 or more sister-in-laws? Believe it or not, the punctuation would be different! (As punctuated, _____is your only sister-in-law.)"

I agree take out the comma.

But I have to ask did he really write sister-in-laws? Or did he write sisters-in-law? Cause if he's nit picking the comma (really does it matter how many he has?) and says sister-in-laws... :tongue_smilie: Seriously, that would drive me crazy working with him.... LOL! :lol:

Just wondering....

But I have to ask did he really write sister-in-laws? Or did he write sisters-in-law? Cause if he's nit picking the comma (really does it matter how many he has?) and says sister-in-laws... :tongue_smilie: Seriously, that would drive me crazy working with him.... LOL! :lol:

Just wondering....

I was about to say the same thing!!!

Lara

Just wondering....

HAHA!!! NICE CATCH! He wrote "sister-in-laws." *smirk*