Menu

curric help-textbook approach

sherry80

I have 4 kids, am homeschooling 2nd/3rd and basic prek like learning letters, etc. We have a 1 yo and I am expecting a new baby in Jan.

My 2nd/3rd grader are very different in learning styles and strengths. I have a list of what is working for us....

family devotions/Awana

piano taught by me

Handwriting without Tears for 2nd/3rd and prek

All About Spelling (we did level 1, now on level 2)

Growing with Grammar (both are doing grade 2)

Phonics Pathways (for 2nd grader) we are more than 1/2way done, will finish by end of school year

Hooked on Phonics grade 2 for 2nd grader, will finish by end of year

CLE Math 2nd/3rd

So basically, the things we need to change are:

Art-currently have I Can Do All Things

Health

History-currently have MFW Adventures

Science-currently what is in MFW Adventures

typing-would like to add

My 2nd grader does not do well with literature approach, she loves workbooks and her strength is math and not reading. I am mostly focused on getting her caught up on phonics but some history/science would be good.

My 3rd grader loves reading books and does fine with lit approach but wants more, especially with science. She has a ton of the abeka readers and is wanting to try abeka health history and science and art. She is tired of always having to wait on mom to get to Adventures and tired of waiting for sis to catch up to understand what we are learning in Adventures. I think she needs something independent especially with baby coming.

So I am thinking mostly of Abeka health, history, science and art. I have looked at CLP b/c it is cheaper and have looked at BJU but it seems more teacher intensive.

We have tried SL, SOTW and MFW and I don't think the lit approach is working. We did try CLE Science and SS in 1st and 2nd grade but I thought they were very dry.

I guess once the kids are reading well, I think I will be needing an independent program. I was thinking I could get Abeka and add in books to read that are on good lit lists. I was hoping I wouldn't need to get all the tests and teachers manuals as I was thinking the comp questions at the end would be sufficient.

So any other suggestions or support would be helpful! I also feel like I am missing a Writing curriculum but have no idea what to get for that.

Sherry

To me the questions are more challenging, and the texts are more attractive.

Don't be stuck on grade levels either. I used the same level of science for two kids several grades apart by having them do it orally and then having the older one write down the answers, and I am currently using a grade ahead in history for my youngest.

I prefer BJUP, To me the questions are more challenging, and the texts are more attractive.

Don't be stuck on grade levels either. I used the same level of science for two kids several grades apart by having them do it orally and then having the older one write down the answers, and I am currently using a grade ahead in history for my youngest.

:iagree:

I also like BJU Science far better than Abeka. Also, what about BJU English/Writing. It is combined and I really like it. Just my thoughts.

Have you considered K12? I've heard their history is very good, and science is also well done.

I recommend Atelier for art, as it's taught by DVD. :D It's also a very solid program which Ariel thoroughly enjoyed.

I've heard Dance Mat Typing is very popular, but I don't have any firsthand experience with it.

You might try Primary Language Lessons, it's for both second and third grades and I believe it teaches writing as well as grammar, so you could use it after finishing GWG. Another option is Writing Tales 1 for your third grader, and maybe Writing With Ease for your second grader.

I would skip the art and health curriculum in order to simplify. You are teaching your dc what they would learn in a health book. We just do a semester of health in junior high to cover anything I miss. :001_smile: Art for that age can be a box of art supplies used frequently.

I would choose one level of A Beka or CLP science and history to use with both dc. I love BJU for junior high and high school, but I don't like their elementary history program. We have all of the A Beka and CLP science and history books on our shelf, and though I don't use them for school, my dc enjoy reading them. I purchased them all used to have on hand (it's hard to find non-fiction books with a conservative, Christian worldview.)

Typing can be a program done independently. Timberdoodle carries a great typing program. My ds used Timon & Pumba Typing, which was surprisingly effective (and inoffensive) for a Disney game.