Menu

Crazy/Inappropriate Gifts

Supertechmom

have we started this thread??? Doesn't matter whether anyone agrees with your thoughts but here's a place to share the gift that made *YOU* go HMMM....... (adn it could be the giver of the gift that makes it strange and this year or past and of course you can never ever say anything about it IRL) So list it here before you explode! This could get fun!!!

I'll go...... Dec kids birthdays

10 year old received Imagine next Dino from Aunt and Uncle :confused: (He's 10!!!) The four year old loved it!

1 year old received Sponge Bob character with make noise book From Grandma! (HE's 1!!!) (he's also the fourth and we have never done Sponge BOB :confused::confused:)

One from last year, I received very nice very expensive beautiful place-mats. Cork backed hard place-mats with a lovely country rooster on them. Place-mats that can't get the backing wet. A full set of 8. to be used with 4 messy spilly kids. Even my hubby was like O dear GOD what are we going to do with those?? In my very modern sleek chrome/steel/black kitchen and dining room. beautiful lovely and expensive place-mats. Just so not us!!! We quietly repackaged them and gave them to my mother who loves them and has them displayed on her table where they fit right in! She gets compliments from everyone who comes in about how beautiful they are. They would have stuck out like a sore thumb and been an eyesore in my house.

Gotta love gift giving time!!! they are certainly full of surprises! :D And we enjoy it!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our most memorable....my aunt and uncle gave my dd (then 4 yrs. old) a book called 'Everybody far*s'....all about passing gas. It got passed around, laughed about, and promptly pushed under the sofa where it stayed until we disposed of it after the festivities. I'm not a prude, but that was one book that we didn't need on our shelf. :tongue_smilie:

Our most memorable....my aunt and uncle gave my dd (then 4 yrs. old) a book called 'Everybody far*s'....all about passing gas. It got passed around, laughed about, and promptly pushed under the sofa where it stayed until we disposed of it after the festivities. I'm not a prude, but that was one book that we didn't need on our shelf. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: We had the same book one year given to one of them. It met an accidental thrown out with the wrapping trash too!

One year mil gave me a green silk track suit that was dry clean only. I had a 2yo and a 2 mo and had just moved to the country. I was like :confused: Later she told me she wanted me to have something pretty for when I wanted to look nicer. I thought, "Well, thank you, that makes a little more sense, but I'd really rather have something I can use!"

I actually have a trunk full of this stuff! I have a really nice step mother who gives weird/wrong stuff. One year she gave my 7yo daughter a backless Dora summer dress size 6x for her birthday. First of all, my 7yo out grew Dora at 5 and her birthday is in November in Colorado, she would freeze to death and by the time summer arrived, she'd out grow it. I gave it to dd3 for easter. This year she sent my 9yo a plastic play tea set (you know--the one for 3yos?). I just cull before the children see her stuff, then I give it to a local shelter.

Lara

My grandmother gave my sister and I dainty handkerchiefs one year when we were kids. She was also an alcohol, so we just rolled our eyes and thanked her.

My dh gave me cologne one year. What he failed to realize is that it was men's cologne. I didn't even like the smell. I think I've used as expensive air freshener for the last five years.

When I was a sophmore in high school (15 YO), my boyfriend's mother gave me a set of underwear that she had sewn herself. She was an excellent seamstress and they were the style that I would wear (more sporty, not sexy, bikini briefs) but I still thought it kind of an odd gift for your son's 15 YO girlfriend. LOL! I loved her dearly, though!

My dh gave me cologne one year. What he failed to realize is that it was men's cologne. I didn't even like the smell. I think I've used as expensive air freshener for the last five years.

:lol:

One year (I was about 17) my aunt gave me a pair of shoes that looked something like this:

1.jpg

I'd guess they were a size 10. In toddler sizes. :001_huh: The best I could figure is they were supposed to be "decorative."

DH's parents gave him a Lime Green leisure suit one year. He had to wear it to go to dinner with them. After that, it hung in his closet until he met me and I threw it away. I only found out about it because I was joking around and said, "Next thing you'll tell me is that your mother gave you a lime green leisure suit!" Yup, I'm psychic! :-)

My grandmother gave my sister and I dainty handkerchiefs one year when we were kids. She was also an alcohol, so we just rolled our eyes and thanked her.

My dh keeps getting suckered by an Avon lady we know. The kids (really dh) gave me perfume for Mother's Day. It smells nasty and makes me sneeze. Then a few months later for my birthday I got another bottle of the same perfume plus lotion in the same scent. After that I had to tell him not to buy me perfume.....ever. A week or so ago he said that E was going to corner him again because it was almost Christmas. I begged and pleaded. We will see what happens! At least it is women's perfume! :lol:

When my oldest son was 10 he received a Cinderella picture/press-and-speak book. His brother who was 7 got a firetruck book of the same genre.

We are now the caregivers for my inlaws. MIL is demented and FIL is just clueless. I have spent umpteen hours driving them to appointments, WalMart, emergency room, etc. So for Christmas last year FIL went all out and got the boys and dh really cool pocket knives. I got the free calendar that came with from his seed catalog :glare: I would have been happy with a pocket knife! I really had my feelings hurt and that doesn't happen easily. But I'm over it pretty well and now just figure I have a great "inlaw" story to tell.

Several years back, while celebrating Christmas with DH's family, our niece (early-20s at the time) opened a gift from her great-aunt. It was this hideous track suit. Charcoal with glossy black grids on it...with grey splattered all about. She was kind and thanked her great-aunt. Then...SIL opened her gift from same aunt. It was an identical suit. This is when the rest of us started to worry. Sure enough, all of the women got the same thing, except for one SIL (it didn't come in her size). I donated it. I really wish that I'd taken a photo, though.

M-i-l, who worked for a major high-end children's clothing label, gave ds (1 at the time) an adorable outfit! The trouble was that it was black velour pants with beautiful bows on the ankles and a leopard-print faux-fur jacket. Our current 1 yr old, a girl, looks adorable in the outfit.

The funniest part is that m-i-l is from a culture where leopard prints are VERY popular -- on girls. I have NO idea what she was thinking! She's normally very appropriate with her really nice clothing gifts.

Edited by zaichiki

An envelope with a check and a card that read, "for a vasectomy":glare:

ETA: it was promptly turned down. Obviously.

Wow, that's just cruel. I'm sorry someone felt that was OK.

My in-laws gave me a stuffed cat that meowed and was supposed to be just like a real cat. I actually have 2 real cats. They weren't as creepy.

Oh yeah.. My in laws

So this year, you'll be getting them some lovely cyanide pills?

Or perhaps they might prefer a bunch of nursing home brochures.

Maybe you could get each of them a one-way ticket to someplace unpleasant.

If they give your dh another check this year, thank them profusely and tell them you'll need the money for newborn-sized diapers and another car seat. And then look mysterious.

Cat

A former boyfriend's mother, who made no secret of loathing me, gave me an initial necklace for Christmas one year. Nice, right? Peace offering?

Except it was the letter A. My name does not begin with A. It was also bright red.

She claimed it "symbolize[d] my good grades in school." Uh huh.

So this year, you'll be getting them some lovely cyanide pills?

Or perhaps they might prefer a bunch of nursing home brochures.

Maybe you could get each of them a one-way ticket to someplace unpleasant.

If they give your dh another check this year, thank them profusely and tell them you'll need the money for newborn-sized diapers and another car seat. And then look mysterious.

Cat

:lol: I feel your pain but man, that's just so darn rude, it's funny. I would have taken the check and then claimed it didn't take. Or I might have been too mad!!! But yeah, I do believe I would have an envelope of nursing home/assisted living brochures to give to them at Christmas with my recommendations of which to go live in.

Glad to know by this thread , i am not the only one who gets crazy things! DO you think our in-laws/parents just have duh moments or are we going to be like that too??? :svengo:

Cat

LOL

I was a couple months away from having our third when they did that.

And I AM pregnant this Christmas!

I think they've finally given up hope.

A former boyfriend's mother, who made no secret of loathing me, gave me an initial necklace for Christmas one year. Nice, right? Peace offering?

Except it was the letter A. My name does not begin with A. It was also bright red.

She claimed it "symbolize[d] my good grades in school." Uh huh.

I'm not sure there is a smiley for this one. That just goes beyond and beyond......:001_huh:

The inappropriate gift award goes to my FIL.

Christmas of 2003, he & MIL apparently 'over ordered' thong undergarments from Victorias secret and gave one to each daughter, and of course me (wouldn't want to omit the daughter by marriage).

As if that wasn't horrible enough, did I mention I had just given birth to my first child only 2 weeks prior?

:001_unsure::thumbdown::ack2:

My MIL is a wonderful woman- she just isn't very good at shopping and some year are better then others.

One Christmas was a bad year- I got a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit. The last gift was a new toilet seat with fish all over it. LOL! In her defense, at the time our bathroom was decorated with fish and the toilet seat did need to be replaced.

Oh yeah.. My in laws

Ok, you have to give them envelopes of $ this year & label them

"For liposuction"

"For botox"

"For Depends"

I'm sorry--I just have no patience for other people's opinions about something as private as reproduction. On a brighter note, though, at least they didn't label it "For a Tubal." :001_huh:

Did they match your decor? :)

Nope. Not remotely. And really, she hadn't given me a gift/seen me since I was about 4yo, so...it left me rather speechless.

(There are some people I wouldn't have posted this about, because I'd have known they were trying, but as funny as these shoes were combined w/ how narcissistic that aunt is, I don't feel bad about it. Really, her personality is half of what makes it funny. She's over 50 now, & I'm pretty sure she thinks she's 21.)

Can I just thank you for posting this? There are very few things that make me genuinely thankful for my inlaws.

I am sorry they did that and hope they have come to appreciate their grandchildren.

My mother is the queen of wrong gifts, but she has reined it in pretty well in the last few years. Last year, though, she kept talking about how she was making tee-pees for the grandkids. At one point, she wanted to know if dh (who is a plumber) could get EIGHT FOOT lengths of pvc pipe for the tee-pees. I was really sweatin' it for a while, wondering if three (or even just one) 8-foot-tall tee-pees were descending upon my house come Christmas. And she would always talk about it as if I had told her my dream gift for the kids would be 8-foot-teepees! :svengo: I'm clutter-phobic and the kids' toys take up enough room already!

Strangely, though, she quit the project a week before Christmas, apologizing for the "disappointment" that was coming and confessed that she's just not physically up to making big projects like that anymore. I felt bad that she was sad about it...but I was also..."HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!" :D

When I was 17 (senior in hs) my mother gave me a gift. The clues were, "You'll be able to take it to school and work." She was sooo excited to give it to me and told me I would LOVE it.

It was a wooden cane with a brass duck head. Can you imagine me showing up in a public high school with a cane? Or at a job? Social suicide.

And I don't need a cane. I walk perfectly normally. She just imagined me walking around school and work (I worked at NSA) swinging my cane like Charlie Chapman.

Edited by Garga

Ok, you have to give them envelopes of $ this year & label them

"For liposuction"

"For botox"

"For Depends"

I'm sorry--I just have no patience for other people's opinions about something as private as reproduction. On a brighter note, though, at least they didn't label it "For a Tubal." :001_huh:

They would be thrilled if I got them the first two.:001_huh:

No, they saved the tubal suggestion for in the hospital room 2 months later after dh and I had just been informed delivery wasn't progressing on our breech delivery and I would need a c-section. MIL glibly asked if we'd told the dr to a tubal while in there.:glare:

Sigh.

None of it went over very well at the time.

Now it's funny. Kinda. Sorts. A little.;)

My mother is the queen of wrong gifts, but she has reined it in pretty well in the last few years. Last year, though, she kept talking about how she was making tee-pees for the grandkids. At one point, she wanted to know if dh (who is a plumber) could get EIGHT FOOT lengths of pvc pipe for the tee-pees. I was really sweatin' it for a while, wondering if three (or even just one) 8-foot-tall tee-pees were descending upon my house come Christmas. And she would always talk about it as if I had told her my dream gift for the kids would be 8-foot-teepees! :svengo: I'm clutter-phobic and the kids' toys take up enough room already!

Strangely, though, she quit the project a week before Christmas, apologizing for the "disappointment" that was coming and confessed that she's just not physically up to making big projects like that anymore. I felt bad that she was sad about it...but I was also..."HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!" :D

This is awesome. Rarely does something literally make me laugh out loud but I love this story. :lol::lol::lol: