Menu

Where do I buy fels naptha soap?

You could also use Zote soap, or Ivory soap should be easy to find.

Just regular Ivory bar soap right? But no matter what I use, I have to grate it don't I?

I think I was thinking Fels Naptha was a powder like Borax and washing soda and that's why I choose this recipe, so I didn't have to grate soap. If I have to grate all of them (ivory, Zote, FN) then I guess I'll go with the ivory because I have that on hand. At this point I've just about got more bars of soap than undies left! LOL!

Thanks!

Just regular Ivory bar soap right? But no matter what I use, I have to grate it don't I?

I think I was thinking Fels Naptha was a powder like Borax and washing soda and that's why I choose this recipe, so I didn't have to grate soap. If I have to grate all of them (ivory, Zote, FN) then I guess I'll go with the ivory because I have that on hand. At this point I've just about got more bars of soap than undies left! LOL!

Thanks!

I have found Fels Naptha soap in camping goods stores (e.g. REI). It's recommended for washing if you happen to walk through poison ivy. :-o

Thanks. I'll go grate now. I've got to start laundry early tomorrow!

My recipe is:

2 cups grated soap

1 cup washing soda

1 cup borax

For somereason the liquid versions aren't appealing to me. I think it's the having to mix in the water and trying to get it all to mix up and picturing having to do that in my big spagetti pot. I'm really hoping this 'powdered' mix works well.

I love the idea of no more buying plastic bottles of company made laundry soap!

I purchase mine at Kroger. :) The only place in my town that even sells it!

I've been making my own detergent for clothing and cloth diapers for 5 years now!:001_smile:

Also when I make mine...I put all the dry ingred. in first. Then I fill the gallon jug (I use 2-one gallon tupperware jugs I got at Walmart) half way with warm water...then I have the grated soap melting with 1-2 cup(s) of water on the stove. When it's melted to my liking...I pour it into the jugs evenly and add the additional water (I fill the pot I melted the soap in and use that to pour water in the jugs to fill them as well as adding any remaining soap from the pot into the jugs)....and mix with a really long spoon and in 24 hours it's liquidy gel :)

Edited by mamaofblessings

Guest Cindie2dds

Our local Ace hardware ordered it for me in bulk along with my washing soda and called me when it came in. That way I avoided shipping. I've heard you can use Ivory soap in place of it, but I really like the results of my current recipe, so I won't be changing it. :)

Our local Ace hardware ordered it for me in bulk along with my washing soda and called me when it came in. That way I avoided shipping. I've heard you can use Ivory soap in place of it, but I really like the results of my current recipe, so I won't be changing it. :)

We ordered a case of it from Ace hardware online and had it delivered to our local store to save the shipping charge. If I recall correctly, it worked out to be about 1/3 less per bar than buying it by the bar in the stores.

Recipes for the fluid stuff, Mamablessings et al? Also, do these recipes work in HE front loaders??

Here is my recipe and I use it in a front loader HE machine:

Hot water

1/2 cup Washing Soda

1/2 cup Borax

1/3 bar Soap (grated)

• In a large pot, heat 3 pints of water. Add the grated bar soap and stir until melted. Then add the washing soda and borax. Stir until powder is dissolved, then remove from heat.
  • In a 2 gallon clean pail, pour 1 quart of hot water and add the heated soap mixture. Top pail with cold water and stir well.
  • Use 1/2 cup per load, stirring soap before each use (will gel).

I use an entire bar of Fels-Naptha when I make it and I also always add vinegar (1/2C) to the wash and as a fabric softener. My front loader never smells moldy and I attribute that to the vinegar.

I know you already made your soap, but I really really like this soap better it is from Virginia soaps and scents. It is a lard based soap, which is what I believe Fels Naptha used to be before they were purchased by a bigger company P&G I think.

ttp://www.va-soaps.com/vss2_006.htm

I make the liquid in a 5 gal bucket and use my dh's paint mixer attachment on his drill to mix it. It make a great gel and I use it in my front loader with no problems.

Having looked around a bit then I am now preferring to make the dry detergent. I think storage-wise then it would be easier and safer with the young kids around.

I read about someone who used a goat-based soap. That would make it have a nice smell and make it potentially organic, no? At least better for sensitive skin and babies? Has anyone tried this?