Menu

I am standing on a stool, MEOWING

... at the top of my lungs. I have a mop and with the handle, I am banging pot lids and pots on the pot rack. I am alternating the Loud Meowing with yelling, "Mouse, I am a Big Giant. I am hitting my Mouse Smashers. Can you hear them? Be gone or get Dead."

My desk, my computer are in the pantry. I heard a sound. I saw a mouse.

What else can I do to get rid of it now? Are mice deaf?

I screamed bloody murder. DS2 came to rescue me. He is not amused. This is his fifth or sixth time in here in 5 minutes.

Oh good, DH got up. Useless. Men are useless. So are dogs.

Edited by RoughCollie

You realize that the mouse is laughing at you, don't you? ;)

And the trap with the peanut butter that Zaichiki suggested is your best solution. If you want to catch him alive and release him outside, there are traps for that, too.

I hate to say this, but I always heard that if you see one mouse, there are others in the house, too. You also have to figure out how they are getting in.

Time for some mouse traps.

Cat

PS. Once, years ago, we had 6 cats in the house... and mice. :glare:

... at the top of my lungs. I have a mop and with the handle, I am banging pot lids and pots on the pot rack. I am alternating the Loud Meowing with yelling, "Mouse, I am a Big Giant. I am hitting my Mouse Smashers. Can you hear them? Be gone or get Dead."

My desk, my computer are in the pantry. I heard a sound. I saw a mouse.

What else can I do to get rid of it now? Are mice deaf?

I screamed bloody murder. DS2 came to rescue me. He is not amused. This is his fifth or sixth time in here in 5 minutes.

Oh good, DH got up. Useless. Men are useless. So are dogs.

Glue traps work best. When we get mice, it seems we catch most of them under the sink. Mice love peanut butter--skip the cheese. (It stinks if you forget to pick up the traps, but PB will just dry out.)

Give up on the meowing. If they were smart enough to figure out how to get into the house, they probably know you don't have a cat. :D

I have two cats and they have been great mousers, but sometimes mice laugh at them too. Right now the score is dh 1, cats 1, mice ??? I've seen more than I care to in the last week. And I heard this loud skittering, scampering noise in a new place the other night. Sort of in the ceiling. Cats heard it too. We all just stood there waiting, watching. Then all of sudden a little mouse pokes its head out of a hole up near the ceiling. The cats couldn't get it. So we all just continued to stand there looking at each other, mouse included. Then.....I swear this is true.....the mouse goes back into the hole, turns around, and just sticks its butt out at us for awhile!! The cheek! (I meant the nerve, but upon reading it the cheek is too funny!) Anyway, that is way beyond laughing at us. I think it is the mouse equivalent of the finger. Traps are sounding good.

Load up any instant food you have on hand in your car & drive to the nearest hotel/friend. Leave a note for your family to call you when the mouse is taken care of.

(They'll have to get the mouse or learn to cook. My money's on the mousetrap. And besides--how well would you sleep tonight if you know you only *scared* the mouse off?) ;)

There is a Sex and the City episode where Mikhail Baryshnikov (as Carrie's boyfriend) see a mouse run across her kitchen counter and immediately hits it with a pan and kills it. I would have proposed on the spot.

I've told this story before, but my sister once had a mouse. Her dh put down a glue trap. A mouse was caught in the trap, her 2 year old dd found it. Her dd fed the mouse to the cat. The cat then has bits of mouse and a glue trap stuck to it. She calls the 800 # on the box and the *second option* is "if the glue trap is stuck to a cat..."

I've told this story before, but my sister once had a mouse. Her dh put down a glue trap. A mouse was caught in the trap, her 2 year old dd found it. Her dd fed the mouse to the cat. The cat then has bits of mouse and a glue trap stuck to it. She calls the 800 # on the box and the *second option* is "if the glue trap is stuck to a cat..."

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I spit coffee on the keyboard when I read that!

Cat

We had to resort to glue traps when we had a rat in the house. (It was the remodel from hell.) As soon as the rat fell into the trap, it started making loud noises in its attempt to escape. I smashed it with a shovel. (Although the iron pan would have been good, too.) It did not have to starve to death.

However, for mice, I get snap traps. Quicker for the poor little critters. You can buy ones that encase the whole mess (trap, mouse and all) in a plastic housing. Once you hear the snap and see the tail, you can just pick the whole thing up and toss it.

If you get a glue trap, you're going to have to let it starve to death. :(

I've caught many in glue traps, and we never let any of them starve to death. You pick up the trap and throw it down HARD in a bucket or empty trash can. It's as humane as the traps that snap shut.

Unfortunately, we have to use the glue traps, as the mice are too small to trigger the snap traps. They are field mice & darn cute tiny little buggers :sad: (but they can't stay, and I won't let them suffer).

I always hear them trying to escape the trap and dh sleeps right through it, so this job always seems to fall to me and that's my solution.

Ok, I've got to know.

Are you still on the stool?

Because every time I see the title of this thread, I can picture it in my head and I know I shouldn't be laughing, but I just can't help it.

I'm telling you, that mouse is sitting around with his little rodent pals, bragging about how he scared a giant.

Cat

As soon as the rat fell into the trap, it started making loud noises in its attempt to escape. I smashed it with a shovel. (Although the iron pan would have been good, too.) It did not have to starve to death.

I've caught many in glue traps, and we never let any of them starve to death. You pick up the trap and throw it down HARD in a bucket or empty trash can. It's as humane as the traps that snap shut.

I guess I (wrongly) assumed most people wouldn't want to do something like that.

We were VERY successful with peanut butter in a live trap. Then you have to take the mouse somewhere else though because it's alive licking its whiskers. So...the task fell to dh on his way out to work one morning. An hour later he called me laughing and said he felt so terrible because when he opened the lid of the mouse trap it fell out of his hands just as the mouse was exiting and it cut part of his/her tail off. I am sure that particular mouse never came back to our place...

I'm going to town tomorrow, so I'll get some mouse traps. Someone else will have to deal with them. I am afraid of all rodents, all insects, all reptiles, and all corpses.

No one told me when we moved to the country that there would be wild animals in the house! This includes snakes and insects. Pennsylvania is a hotbed of animalian terrorists.

DD is allergic to cats, or I'd get a whole herd of them in here. My sister has 11, as a direct result of feeding a pregnant stray. None of them like people (except my sister), but I bet they'd like mice. And my sister sure would like to get rid of all those cats.

There is a Sex and the City episode where Mikhail Baryshnikov (as Carrie's boyfriend) see a mouse run across her kitchen counter and immediately hits it with a pan and kills it. I would have proposed on the spot.

I did that once! I got one on the stove top with a saucepan. (It was acting delirious, so was not much of a challenge of my reflexes. It had probably eaten some old d-CON somewhere in the basement.). It emerged from under a gas burner and just sat there looking at me.

Kitchen got a GOOD cleaning after that...

Ok, I've got to know.

Are you still on the stool?

Cat

Yes. It's killing my back to lean over to type. I am wearing shoes in case it leaps onto my feet. I have two sons who are old enough to know better, but are laughing at me every time I hear a noise. One of them thinks I am insane. I told him that is hereditary. The other one suggested we get snakes to take care of the problem. Ha. Ha. Ha. Then he said if I just resume my regular activities, I will soon discover that mice are harmless and Nice. Fat chance. I am guarding the doorway. If it gets into the rest of the house, we are doomed.

I would leave. But there is no point. The males in this house are Total Failures. They seem to Like Mice. All they do is laugh, and ask dumb questions, like "Why is your mother screaming? Is everything all right down there?"

Now I ask you, do people usually scream when everything is All Right? Especially when the Only Time I Scream is when there is a Mouse, Dead or Alive?

Besides which, I don't just sit here and decide to scream. I have more dignity than that. It is totally involuntary.

Edited by RoughCollie

I have two sons who are old enough to know better, but are laughing at me every time I hear a noise.

Tell them that you may be afraid to whack a mouse with a frying pan, but you aren't afraid to do it to them. ;)

One of them thinks I am insane. I told him that is hereditary.

:lol::lol::lol:

Hope you get off the stool soon!

Cat

Unfortunately, we have to use the glue traps, as the mice are too small to trigger the snap traps. They are field mice & darn cute tiny little buggers :sad: (but they can't stay, and I won't let them suffer).

Ours are really cute, too.

Dd was lamenting, tonight, about her father having to do away with one that was caught in a glue trap. Well, they CAN'T stay. They poop everywhere! They'll spread disease, fleas, whatever. They're not pets. (So I tell her...)

I remind dd that it's better that they go quickly and painlessly. If we wanted to torture them we'd offer them to the chickens.

I stole a line from a good friend.

"They live outside. And I wish them well there. But they made a grave error when they chose to come in my house."

Load up any instant food you have on hand in your car & drive to the nearest hotel/friend. Leave a note for your family to call you when the mouse is taken care of.

(They'll have to get the mouse or learn to cook. My money's on the mousetrap. And besides--how well would you sleep tonight if you know you only *scared* the mouse off?) ;)

They'll eat at McDonald's or Burger King. DH will stock up on frozen meals. Everyone will be fine until they run out of underwear. Maybe. Guys might not care about the underwear thing.

Of course, I would take DD with me.

I'll come to your house and get the mouse for $200.

Hey, just trying to be helpful. :tongue_smilie:

Cat

Okay. It just squeaked. I screamed. The dog peeked in. Everyone is in bed. I'm going to go to bed, too. At least it is one floor away from The Mouse (for now).

So hurry up and get here!

This reminds me of the night a snake got in to the house. I was on the kitchen table screaming at dh to kill it, and search the house from top to bottom, or I'd be at a hotel. Boys and dh were stunned since I'm not a screamer.

:lol::lol::lol:

This conjured up quite a mental image - hilarious!!!

The kind we use causes the mouse to go and seek water outside the house, where it dies. We have to bait the whole house at the beginning of winter (old house with lots of entry points) and renew periodically. Laura

I would love to use poison. These mice would not leave the house, though, because I live here. I guarantee it. Plus, we have a dog and other environmental concerns. I am going to buy traps today. Lots of them. The Males will step up to the plate and remove the traps when they have caught the mice, if only because their masculinity will be at stake.

This is an 90 year old stone house that has many places that an animal can get in, apparently. It is in the country, where wild animals abound.

I'm sitting here in the floor in the dark, & y'all are scaring me.

There are a whole lot more wild critters where you live, which is the only reason I'm glad I don't live in the South or Southwest.

Personally, I would not sit on the floor. At least at night -- because a lot of these critters are nocturnal. Whatever you do, wear shoes. I don't, except that now I do just in case the mouse decides to get friendly.

I only used the glue traps once. The trap "caught" one but it apparently chewed its leg off and went on its merry way. :tongue_smilie: I now use the ones that you bait and are covered ~ they "take care" of the mouse inside. Uggh!!! I hate mice!

I'm going to buy traps today that minimize mouse self-mutilation and are humane, but deadly. I guess that what is humane is in the eye of the beholder since I don't want the mouse to live to breed more mice.

This reminds me of the night a snake got in to the house.

I keep reminding myself that most snakes here are not poisonous and are beneficial to the environment. We've had one snake get in, but it disappeared. Since it was summer and no one has seen it, I think it went back outside.

Where you live, if I'm not mistaken, there are lots of poisonous snakes. I'd be screaming my head off, too.

I remember this story. I think it is hilarious.

I gather there are too many cats in this world who will not carry out their appointed duties -- but if presented with an immobilized mouse they will try to make it look as if they're a mouser and not just a household mooch.

I am crying my eyes out laughing at this thread. I'm sorry, really.. but.. hahahaha.. hehehehe :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I don't like mice much either. We had some in our old house, and we put poison down, and some of them ate it and went back under the floorboards and died there. The whole place stank for a month :ack2: Eventually we acquired a cat, and the mice were seen and heard no more. :sneaky2:

My friend's sister's dog was barking in the middle of the night. The sister got up to check and see why. The dog was in the bathroom barking, and the sister found her kid's hamster in the toilet. She got the hamster out and dried it off, and went to put it back in the cage. After she put it in the cage, she realized the hamster was still in the cage. She had rescued and dried off a wild mouse :lol:!