Menu

Stand mixer recommendations?

After years of contemplation, I am finally going to buy a stand mixer. Every time the subject comes up, DH says that we have "no room." Which is a reasonable claim, but I finally realized wait, why do I care if he thinks we have no room? I do 95% of the cooking, and I have figured that if I ditch the fruit bowl, put the toaster away, and confine my prep work to one side of the counter there is TOTALLY room for a stand mixer.

Plus, the KA hand mixer we got for our wedding 8 years ago is clearly not meant for bread, despite the misleading inclusion of 'bread hooks,' because every time I use it to knead bread it gives off the fragrance of burning rubber.

Top candidates are Bosch, Cuisinart, and KA. I bake bread several times a week, muffins maybe once a week or so, and cakes/cookies rarely. From online reviews (as well as searching the archives here) I'm leaning towards a Bosch. Is there any reason I might not be thinking of that I should consider the KA or Cuisinart instead? Can anyone speak to the comparative reliability of these different brands? I'm particularly concerned about the reliability issues that keep coming up with the KA mixers manufactured in recent years, but maybe those are overblown?

I love my KA stand mixer! I only use the bread hook when the dough gets too hard for the paddle to mix. I knead with my hands because I like to. It is nice to be able to set the mixer on to cream the butter and sugar and be able to go to the refrigerator to get the eggs while it is still running :)

I have not tried any other brand, however. I did have my mixer for about 2 years before I used it all the time. It was not OUT on the counter, so it was not easy for me to use. Now that it sits out, I use it a LOT!

After years of contemplation, I am finally going to buy a stand mixer. Every time the subject comes up, DH says that we have "no room." Which is a reasonable claim, but I finally realized wait, why do I care if he thinks we have no room? I do 95% of the cooking, and I have figured that if I ditch the fruit bowl, put the toaster away, and confine my prep work to one side of the counter there is TOTALLY room for a stand mixer.

Plus, the KA hand mixer we got for our wedding 8 years ago is clearly not meant for bread, despite the misleading inclusion of 'bread hooks,' because every time I use it to knead bread it gives off the fragrance of burning rubber.

Top candidates are Bosch, Cuisinart, and KA. I bake bread several times a week, muffins maybe once a week or so, and cakes/cookies rarely. From online reviews (as well as searching the archives here) I'm leaning towards a Bosch. Is there any reason I might not be thinking of that I should consider the KA or Cuisinart instead? Can anyone speak to the comparative reliability of these different brands? I'm particularly concerned about the reliability issues that keep coming up with the KA mixers manufactured in recent years, but maybe those are overblown?

I have had a KA and a Bosch and now own an Electrolux. http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/magic_mill_dlx_mixer.aspx

The KA was my least favorite by far. I loved the bosch. In fact I wore two of them out!(I had a small bakery in my home for a about 5 yrs and bake 6-8 hrs 2-3 times a week.) I went with the Electrolux as it is bigger and has a more powerful motor. I do like it. If I had to make a choice between the two with out a larger family I am not sure which I would go for.

My kitchen aid is my favorite thing in my kitchen. Haven't done bread in it often, but it has always held up when I have. I also have the ice cream attachment and we use that a good bit in summer.

On the other hand, I don't have much to compare it to as it's the only standing mixer I've ever owned. Just saying I love it.

I have a Bosch and have been very happy with it. I bought it because so many of my friends were using it to make bread, and I have to say it does a bang-up job--3-5 loaves of the tastiest 100% whole wheat bread you can imagine. Turns out it does a great job of all the kinds of things one does with stand mixer. I also have the food processor attachment, and the blender (which came with the mixer).

KA would have been my choice if I hadn't planned on making bread.

A friend has both, and she says her Bosch bread is noticeably better than the KA bread...can't remember why, lol, but if you really need to know, I'll call her and ask.

I have had a KA Artisan for about 3 years and a Bosch for a few months. My KA can only handle the dough of one loaf of whole wheat bread at a time. Any more than that and it really strains and is jumping all over the counter. I have used my Bosch for 4 loaves of WW bread with no problem, as well as multiple batches of cookie dough. I'm keeping my KA around for single batches of cookies and for more delicate batters such as cakes, but I think my Bosch will get much more use over time.

Some size considerations: the Bosch does have a larger/wider 'footprint' than the KA. The KA I own has the tilt-up head, so it needs adequate space above or it won't raise up properly. Both are fairly heavy, but I find the KA more awkward to lift as it is top-heavy.

I just went through this a few weeks ago, and had an extensive thread going about it. MY BOSCH ARRIVED TWO DAYS AGO AND I LOVE IT!!!! (oh, sorry, was I shouting?...:D) It's a universal plus Bosch. You and I have similar baking habits, and I also was starting to burn out my KA stand mixer (even one batch of cookie dough now - I made bread by hand). I went round and round between KA/Bosch/Cuisinart, too. The biggest KAs seem to have a reputation of only being able to do two loaves of whole wheat bread at a time (8 or 9 c. whole wheat flour), and I wanted a mixer to be able to do more. The Bosch easily does four HUGE loaves, and the dealer from whom I bought it told me there is an even bigger bowl in which you can put as much as 22-23 c. ww flour into a dough, and the motor can handle it. THAT is a machine I can use!!

So far I have made a **triple** batch of oatmeal/chocolate chip cookie dough (included 7.5 c. flour, 3 c. rolled oats, and 2 c. chocolate chips) with NO problem (it was amazing watching that thing cream the butter and sugar!!), and a batch of four loaves of bread. Oh. my. goodness. I had NO idea homemade bread could be so good, and I've been doing this for years!!!! I did try a new recipe (included vital wheat gluten and oil), but I think it was mostly the thorough kneading job that made the bread rise so nicely and *quickly*. It is so NOT like the bricks we used to make, lol!

I also bought a Nutrimill grain mill, because the two machines together came with a big discount. I bet if you order this week, you could find such a deal in the States, too. I found an organic grain supplier in my part of the world, and tomorrow I'll put the mill into action, too, and make four loaves of banana bread and some more double or triple batches of cookies. It's unbelievable to me how much time I'm going to save and how far ahead I'll be able to get on baking.

I'm sure you've read the good and bad about the current KAs (not like the old Hobarts from KA). The other thing that tipped me from Cuisinart to Bosch is that the Cuisinart one has only been out for a few years, whereas Bosch has been around for many years and I couldn't find any negative reviews of it. The new Universal Plus is projected to last at least twice the "normal" 17 years - great! I also didn't like the shape of the Cuisinart beaters/whips - the thingy at the top of each one was quite far down in the bowl, and looked like it would trap a lot of dough/batter and be a pain to scrape out to remix.

Have fun!

Thanks so much for all the replies. Good to know that so many folks have had positive experiences with their KA mixers.

Is there anyone who has used both a Bosch and a KA for bread baking and prefers the KA?

I have a Bosch and have had it for 10-12 years. I can do 15 cups of flour or 6 loaves of bread without a hiccup.

My DDs have KA and I have used them to make my bread recipe. I always end up with flour everywhere! One of them has a larger capacity bowl, but I still only make 4 loaves of bread at a time and it works fine.

I really prefer my Bosch.

KA are much cuter sitting on the counter tho.

;)