Jump to content


What kind of doctor for arthritis?

Recommended Posts

See a rheumatologist. Over the course of four and one half years I have seen 5 orthopedists, 2 neurosurgeons, a physiatrist(pain specialist) and not one of these geniuses tested my blood. I finally saw the rheumatologist and....I have rheumatoid arthritis affecting the cervical spine. As a physicians daughter I know that the specialists tend to only see what they are trained to see but this is nothing less than absolute incompetence. To know this type of blind spot is there in orthopedics makes me terrified for other patients. In any event if you see the rheumatologist you can rest assured that either you have an autoimmune disorder or the Rheumatologist can exclude that as a possible source of your pain. Be sure to see one that believes fibromyalgia and reflex sympathetic dystrophy do exist. That is ssee one around 40 ish an d not too much older as they tend to be ultra conservative and deny these syndromes. Best of luck to you and please keep us posted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Merciful heavens, see a rheumatologist. Now. If I had seen one sooner my fingers and toes wouldn't be so deformed.


I'm curious about this - could you tell me more? - I'm pretty sure I have arthritis in my hands and hips - I guess I thought there wasn't too much that could be done about it, other than pain management.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...