Menu

questions about history odyssey

Guest shanajo

Guest shanajo

Hello! I'm new here and also new to The Well-Trained Mind. We are in our first year of homeschooling and our two daughters, aged 9 and 8, are adjusting from being in public school since pre-school. So far, so good. :001_smile:

We are interested in using History Odyssey, but I need some advice as to use it with children who will be starting in upper elementary grades--grades 4 and 3. Do we start them both with Ancients level I, or should we start them (separately or together) on later sections of level I?

I know that my 9 year old would not like the cutting and pasting of the Evan Moore book required in Ancients level I, so if she started there I'd likely find other resources for that part of the studies.

I'm worried that if we start later that they'll not have the back round needed for when they get into level II, but yet I don't want either of them to be bored.

What do you all suggest? If it matters my 9 year old is an advanced reader/advanced in comprehension, while my 8 year old is reading on grade level, if not slightly behind her grade level. She definiately has issues with comprehension that we are working on.

I would probably start the 9yr old in level 2 Ancients. How are her writing skills? Do you know about the Try Before you Buy it for History Odyssey? I would definitely do that. You get perhaps 9-10weeks of material to try to see if you like it. If so, then just buy it and continue from there. It's the first 9-10weeks so you're not skipping around. About midway through the program it gets into outlining and I think writing from that outline. In the beginning your write summaries. It tells you in the beginning summaries are 1-2 sentences. Later they expect 3-4 sentences.

SInce they are so close in age, I'd start them both in Ancients but you might have to take some dictation for the 3rd grader.

I'm doing HO level 2 Ancients w/ a 5th grader and my 2nd grader is doing SOTW +Ag Ancients. My 5th grader is using Human Odyssey from K12 as the accessory text to Kingfisher. My 2nd grader is sitting in on the reading of that but my 5th grader will be doing the reading on his own. I don't know if I'll have time to read it to my 2nd grader but i do know both boys get more out of it when we all read together and discuss. So I may keep History Odyssey being independent work for my 5th grader and then we all read Human oDyssey together. My 5th grader is also doing one-level outlines from human Odyssey and will be moving to 2 level outlines shortly.

IMO, I would start both children with Early Modern level 1. You'll be able to keep both children together, level 2 Ancients doesn't assume prior knowledge, and you can beef up the reading and writing for your oldest dd. There are many excellent literature books you can add in to HO, and you can also increase the length and difficulty of the writing assignments she completes. :001_smile:

IMO, I would start both children with Early Modern level 1. You'll be able to keep both children together, level 2 Ancients doesn't assume prior knowledge, and you can beef up the reading and writing for your oldest dd. There are many excellent literature books you can add in to HO, and you can also increase the length and difficulty of the writing assignments she completes. :001_smile:

If you want to keep them together, I agree with this. I wouldn't start the 4th grader on level 2 yet as it's meant for 5th grade and the next stage.

We LOVE History Odyssey. We are using Middle Ages level 1 this year and it has been great. We should technically be on Early Modern this year, but since we live in Europe, it would be a waste not to see and study all the cool Medieval stuff. We'll be combining Early Modern and Modern next year so we can get back on track and hit the ancients again in the 5th grade.

This is a great idea - definitely download the Try Before You Buy - you can get it for any level you like and multiple levels also. Depending on the writing skill of your oldest you may push into level 2 but more likely they can do the same assignments on level 1. If your girls don't care for History Pockets you can just pick and choose - leave those out, they aren't integral and can be replaced with other activities.

I've been doing HO and SotW with my boys and even though they are further apart in age than your girls they cover the same topics together and I just expect different output from them (ie my older son is learning to outline while my younger is still learning to summarize.)

Welcome to homeschooling!

Guest shanajo

Thank you so much everyone! I think we'll go ahead and start with Early Modern I. I downloaded the free trial of it after I got the first response suggesting it and it looks like both of my girls will do well in it. I already ordered the SOTW Volume 3, so we'll be set to start soon since we already own the Usborne World History book.