Menu

Suggestions Please

Does the Hive have recommendations for a diagramming resource? We are diagramming sentences from various resources, and I need a general how-to resource.

Also, does anyone have a resource; i.e. link or instructions, for writing a simple character sketch?

Thank you.

I have checked out Rex Barks several time from the library but haven't forked over money for it yet. I suppose b/c I can keep it for 2months at a time and no one else ever seems to check it out. :lol:

My main go to for diagramming is this website. http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/diagrams2/one_pager1.htm

If my copy of Warriner's Composition and Grammar is nearby, I grab it for diagramming as well.

First Whole book of Diagrams by Mary Daly

I just got this book in the mail, I plan on using it next year. I was planning on using other supplements as well. But once I took a look through this book I was convinced it was all I would need. It is amazing! I am not even sure if I will be able to wait till next year to use it. I find myself picking it up to read through it constantly. I am so excited to start teaching from it to the kids! Wish I had bought this a long time ago. :001_smile:

CLE has an inexpensive little booklet that gets you through the basics. RR sells a couple nice workbooks, at two different levels, that teach diagramming and have some nice exercises. And if you want the big kahuna (even bigger than Mary Daly's big, if you can imagine!), there are a couple books I got last year by a man, would have to look up his name.... The books are downstairs and I'm feeling lazy! But really, you'd probably be happy with the $3 booklet from CLE or one of those workbooks from RR, just fine. :)

Thank you all. I will look at the resources you suggested. Also, can someone tell me the best place to buy Warriner's?

Now, if I can get directions for a character sketch, I will be a happy gal. It looks like I will piecemeal this one from a few internet links that I found.

P.S. I just looked at Moutoux's website, and his new book looks interesting. We will be getting into complex and lengthy sentences from classics like the ones on his website and that is where I will need help.

Edited by 1Togo

Thank you all. I will look at the resources you suggested. Also, can someone tell me the best place to buy Warriner's?

Now, if I can get directions for a character sketch, I will be a happy gal. It looks like I will piecemeal this one from a few internet links that I found.

P.S. I just looked at Moutoux's website, and his new book looks interesting. We will be getting into complex and lengthy sentences from classics and that is where I will need help.

I found my Complete Course (the old "Grammar and Composition") for $.50 at the library book sale. :D I bought another (Advanced Composition) used off of abebooks.com, though, and I think Amazon has used copies, as well.

I've got no help with the character sketch. I just had them write regular old 4-5 paragraph essays, like anything else. :)

Edited by angela in ohio

Angela,

Is the Warriner's Complete Course for all grades? I've seen Warriner's labeled by grade and others Third Course, etc. With the materials I am using, I need comprehensive resources rather than grade specific textbooks.

Thank you.

The Complete Course is technically the 12th grade course, I think, and it was also used for college classes, from what I've read. The First, Second, etc. come before it and correlate to grades (7-11, I think.)

I just bought the Complete Course and am using that through high school. Like you, I prefer to go with a one-time resource rather than grade-level specific book.