Menu

s/o: Losing/Not Losing weight while running

In this thread Janie asks for help losing 25 pounds.

StephanieZ responded (in part):

Then I suggest exercise!! I love couch to 5 k. I started that Aug 31. . . then did Bridge to 10k, and am now aiming for an April half marathon.

This morning on a typical training run, I ran 7 miles in 83 minutes, burned over 800 calories. . . Sure makes losing weight a whole lot easier when you burn those kinds of calories most days.

In 3 1/2 mos, I've lost 17 lb & dropped from a size 14 pant to a size 10, and I now have a healthy BMI. I eat pretty similarly to how I usually have eaten, probably on average making healthier choices just b/c I have more respect for my body & the fuel it needs. . . But I'm burning 3000-4000 or more each week in exercise, so I'm losing a pound a week or so just from that. If I *dieted* then obviously I could have lost much faster, but I didn't need to lose it fast & I want it to be a life-long change, not a flash in the pan.

Sounds great, right? But then Cadam responds:

Stephanie, that is such an awesome testimony. Ok, it's really depressing because I have been running since May and haven't lost an ounce..... but it is inspiring me to keep trying so that's good. Thanks!

I have some weight to lose and am trying to get up the motivation to start running again. If I could be guaranteed results like StephanieZ, I think I could push through it. However, Cadam's results *are* kind of depressing. :D

So, my question is, why will one person lose lots of weight by starting a running program while another doesn't? :bigear:

Because one person is eating the calories they are burning. Exercise makes you hungrier, so if you increase what you eat (even if it is healthy food) you will not lose weight. If you stick to the same amount you eat now, plus burn 700 or so extra calories a few days a week, you will lose weight. If you eat a little less and exercise, you will lose more.

You have to find a balance where your calories in are less than your calories out if you want to lose weight.

It's a balance, right?

Outgo vs. intake.

Running increases outgo of calories. If intake is also increased, no change will occur. Also, if muscle is being built, weight loss is delayed, but the person becomes healthier.

For me, the question is, what do I want? I want to lose weight, but I also want to be healthier. Exercise serves BOTH goals, but if it served only one, it would still be extremely valuable and worthwhile.

I read an article that hypothesized that exercise can hurt weight loss efforts. People think they can eat more, because they exercised 30 minutes. The article didn't say exercise was unnecessary, but for WEIGHT LOSS-- it is imperative to alter eating habits. The actual calories burned doesn't negate splurges on ice cream.

Different bodies respond differently. Me, my body likes it where it is. As long as I don't mess with it, it is happy. I try to lose weight, it gets angry and fights back. I exercise moderately; it is happy. I don't exercise; it is happy. I go all intense; it rebels and starts packing on pounds. It is not about intake and output for me. It is about my body likes where it is. Unfortunately, society doens't approve. I no longer care. If I starve myself, I do mean that literally, I will lose weight. I also would lose my health. If I eat normally, actually pretty much anything I want!, things stay the same.

I mentioned my problem to a doctor the last time I went. He said he could give me medication taht would increase my metabolism and guaranteed that the weight would just drop off. I asked him about it further. He agreed that the minute I stopped taking it my metabolism would return to what it was. That means the weight will come right back. The med has a risk of heart problems and isn't something I would be able to stay on. Why on earth would I want to do that? He was actually shocked at my response. Everyone else just takes the meds if he offers them. I'll take my health. To hell with my weight.

Well, when I exercise, I don't lose "weight" per-se, at least not in any eye-popping numbers. Muscle weighs much more than fat...and my body type just likes to "make muscle." However, I will drop clothing sizes much more rapidly...

To put this in perspective... my mother, 5'7" wears a size 8 at 120 lbs. At 5'5", I wear a size 8 at 150# (as long as I am exercising moderately). At 140#, I can wear a size 6 pants, but will never see south of a size 8 dress/blouse because my shoulders are just that broad. My BMI at 140 is on the "high-end," but I am also under 20% body fat.

There are lots of things that can be done in general...but each body type responds to different diet and exercise routines differently.

The "diet" that works best for me is to eat fiber-rich carbohydrates, limit my sugar intake to under 30g. day (less if I really want to lose fat more quickly), eat high lean proteins, moderate amount of fat, and don't drink milk)... I also need to take my vitamin/fiber routine, because the added fiber helps fill me up, and the vitamins seem to help increase my energy.

Even when I exercise, this diet seems to help me remain full... and I can easilly modify it when I'm eating out, because my focus is really on low-sugar, and high-fiber carbs. Overall, I do have a calorie limit, but I've found that the low-sugar/high-fiber carb combination it is NOT difficult to keep my calorie count down, and still be full. I don't even bother counting fats, because there is only so much butter, olive oil and mayo that I will use.

If I keep this up, I will most likely be close to my goal weight by the beginning of March (Having two significant oral surgeries, that limit what I can eat gave me a huge dent... DH and I will be doing a 14-day Detox after New Year's... and right before Valentine's Day, I've got my final oral surgery!) Making new habits at the same time...turning a negative into a positive, and heading toward a fit, healthy-weight summer in my "skinny clothes!

But, I'm not doing couch to 5k...but it is something I do intent to begin around March :D

I mentioned my problem to a doctor the last time I went. He said he could give me medication taht would increase my metabolism and guaranteed that the weight would just drop off. I asked him about it further. He agreed that the minute I stopped taking it my metabolism would return to what it was. That means the weight will come right back.

It's all about a change in dietary habits... medication can be part of the equation, but you're right, it's not worth taking a pill for the rest of your life.

But, I could see an upside -- especially if someone was willing to make significant changes in their diet -- to use something like this for the short term, especially if their size limited their exercising options. Developing a comprehensive plan that utilized the med at the beginning of the program in concert with a well-planned dietary change, and then gradually replaced the med with increased exercise... might give some people a big step forward to changing their lives.

A lot of this makes sense. When I did Weight Watchers, I was allowed to eat one extra point for every two points I burned while exercising. That way I did get to increase my calorie consumption, but not so much that I negated the calories I burned.

All this talk inspired me to go get on my treadmill. I just ran/walked 30 minutes. Yay me! I'm prone to knee problems when I run (especially right now while I have this extra weight on me). I read an article that says using the incline on the treadmill not only activates more muscles, it also decreases impact on the knees. As much as I hate running/walking up hill, I followed the "Gut Buster" workout. Hopefully this will help protect my knee and supercharge my weight loss.

I've been following the eating principles oof the No S Diet, and while I feel I've really gotten my eating under control, I've not seen the results I want. Hopefully starting to exercise again will get the weight off. I turn 40 one year from now, and my goal is to have all this extra weight GONE by then. I spent most of my 30s overweight and have no desire to repeat that pattern into my 40s!

I gained weight when I ran. I did not eat more calories, in fact, my nutrition and intake were the best they had been since pregnancy. Supposedly, I was putting on muscle. All I know is that clothes that fit prior to running did not fit, the scale was going up, my back and sciatica were hurting like crazy, and I was hungry. Running was not a good choice for me.

Calories in must be less than calories out. But, a healthy metabolism is also very important. Quality sleep is a must. And hormones must be balanced. Cortisol levels must be balanced. Etc., etc, etc......IF you are approaching the midlife hormone shift, getting all these things in place is difficult.

I gained weight when I ran. I did not eat more calories, in fact, my nutrition and intake were the best they had been since pregnancy. Supposedly, I was putting on muscle. All I know is that clothes that fit prior to running did not fit, the scale was going up, my back and sciatica were hurting like crazy, and I was hungry. Running was not a good choice for me.

Calories in must be less than calories out. But, a healthy metabolism is also very important. Quality sleep is a must. And hormones must be balanced. Cortisol levels must be balanced. Etc., etc, etc......IF you are approaching the midlife hormone shift, getting all these things in place is difficult.

:iagree:

In this thread Janie asks for help losing 25 pounds.

StephanieZ responded (in part):

Sounds great, right? But then Cadam responds:

I have some weight to lose and am trying to get up the motivation to start running again. If I could be guaranteed results like StephanieZ, I think I could push through it. However, Cadam's results *are* kind of depressing. :D

So, my question is, why will one person lose lots of weight by starting a running program while another doesn't? :bigear:

Fitness level, body type, and health. A long time ago, I did lose some weight while running. I can't and don't anymore. I had my thyroid chemically defunct and so results are hard to come by. I exercise like a fiend with very little to show. This seems to be a common problem for people who have had their thyroids removed or neutralized. The only program that has worked for me is the Beachbody Insanity program. It's basically hardcore plyometric training. BTW, I am in really good shape now but it has taken awhile to find the right training, supplements, and eating habits. I still run for the heck of it but I don't expect results from it.

You really need to experiment with different exercises and intensity levels. You can take "expert" advice but fitness is really self discovery. A lot of what fitness experts advised had no effect whatsoever. Just keep in mind that even if you try something that doesn't give you the results you had wanted, it is still better than what you had before you tried.

Because one person is eating the calories they are burning. Exercise makes you hungrier, so if you increase what you eat (even if it is healthy food) you will not lose weight. If you stick to the same amount you eat now, plus burn 700 or so extra calories a few days a week, you will lose weight. If you eat a little less and exercise, you will lose more.

You have to find a balance where your calories in are less than your calories out if you want to lose weight.

Incidentally, what I bolded above does not happen for most runners until they have been running a while and are in pretty good shape. I know if I tried to run until I had hit that 700 calorie mark (or even half of it really!), paramedics would be needed. :tongue_smilie:

A few years back, I was able to run 5k (in a little over 30 minutes) on my treadmill and the total burn was under 400 calories.

I just ran my first half last Sunday. I have always run on the treadmill - every day about 4 miles. In Aug, I started running outside with a friend. We worked our way up to a 2 mile run for our long one. I did not lost any weight - did not need to, though. But, I think that it has kept me from gaining any also as I am always trying to eat more healthy, but am not always successful either. I now take 2 rest days - who knew?! And, I run in and out - slower, but am having hip and pretty bad knee pain. So...I'm hoping I can keep it up cuz I love it, but I don't think much has changed even though I have upped my exercise. I believe most of weight loss is just in eating less and healthy and keeping that up! Unfortunately!!! :tongue_smilie:

It's all about a change in dietary habits... medication can be part of the equation, but you're right, it's not worth taking a pill for the rest of your life.

But, I could see an upside -- especially if someone was willing to make significant changes in their diet -- to use something like this for the short term, especially if their size limited their exercising options. Developing a comprehensive plan that utilized the med at the beginning of the program in concert with a well-planned dietary change, and then gradually replaced the med with increased exercise... might give some people a big step forward to changing their lives.

The medicine I am on decreases appetite, so I eat a lot less than I did before. HOWEVER, I have drastically changed my eating habits, too - this is not a diet, it is forever. Overall I eat higher fiber, less wheat and other grains, and no dairy (I have a dairy allergy that was getting worse as I got older.)

I started exercising 6 days a week September 13 (before the med.) For the first month, I lost 5 pounds by spending roughly 45-60 minutes on cardio and 30-45 minutes on strength training. I actually started the meds Sept 25th.

Beginning Oct 13, I drastically changed my diet and continued my 6 days a week. In the next month I lost 25 pounds! The med made all the difference in me being able to avoid my "trigger foods" (the ones that make me want to eat everything in the house!)

Then, I kept the diet changes, but have slacked on the exercise some - we've had a lot going on and it wasn't as easy to get the exercise in. All said, I am down to an average of 2-3 times a week for less time. In that month, I lost another 13 pounds.:D

For me, it really is calories in and calories out. The only thing that seems to really affect me regularly is dairy - I didn't cut it out entirely until Oct. 13. If I get dairy accidently (or from stupidity :tongue_smilie:) I'll gain 5 pounds almost immediately!

I hope to get down 50 pounds total by the end of the year, but I realize it may not happen. Realistically, it will be another 5 pounds for 48 total. We'll see! I know I won't be on the meds all my life, so while they have helped, it is my changes that will makes the difference long-term.

ETA: Just to clarify, I am not on a *weight-loss med*, I am on another med for a non-weightloss issue which has the side effect of appetite suppression.

Edited by Renee in FL

Incidentally, what I bolded above does not happen for most runners until they have been running a while and are in pretty good shape. I know if I tried to run until I had hit that 700 calorie mark (or even half of it really!), paramedics would be needed. :tongue_smilie:

A few years back, I was able to run 5k (in a little over 30 minutes) on my treadmill and the total burn was under 400 calories.

Weight matters, too. I can burn 700 calories fairly easily, but I am still very overweight. At my goal weight, that 700 calories will be more like 350.:tongue_smilie:

One more thought......Don't confuse fat weight gain with water weight gain. Water weight gain is that miserable 3 +lbs overnight weight gain that fluctuates with what we eat, time of the month, hormone status, humidity/temp outside, activity level, phase of the moon, rotation of the earth :glare:.

So how do I do this?

Well to begin with to support the adrenals I would make sure that you go no longer than 2-3 hours without eating. It doesnot need to be a large amount just a snack could be some nuts, an egg etc. Eat within a half hour of waking up. Not only does this support the adrenals it helps stabilize your blood sugar which in itself has many far reaching benefits. There are various herbs and vitamins that one can take for that as well. If you know your hormones are unbalanced i would find a practitionar near you that does salivary hormone testing to determine what your cortisol levels are, and other hormome levels are. Once you know that information you can have them tailor a program for you. For example if they find that there is an estrogen dominance then I would focus on a good liver cleanse along with balancing blood sugars. Meditation/prayer/ yoga all go along way in supporting the parasympathetic nervous system which allows the body to heal. If you begin a strenous workout regimen with a body that is worn down, your body will most likely resist losing the weight. It will actually create more longterm issues ....

I read an article that hypothesized that exercise can hurt weight loss efforts. People think they can eat more, because they exercised 30 minutes. The article didn't say exercise was unnecessary, but for WEIGHT LOSS-- it is imperative to alter eating habits. The actual calories burned doesn't negate splurges on ice cream.

Yes. I know very few people who have lost weight through exercise alone. Actually, I know one. My cousin lost through running and swimming, but he was careful not to increase the amount he eats.

It's a lot easier to not eat 500 calories than it is to burn off 500 calories exercising. :001_smile:

IME & IMHO. . .

It is *all* about caloric intake vs caloric outflow. . .

There are many ways to crack the fat-code, but IMHO, it all boils down to in vs out. . .

FACT: You need a deficit of about 3500 calories to lose a pound.

You can reduce caloric intake or increase caloric burn to lose weight. . . or do a combination of both.

We all know that aerobic (makes you sweat) exercise is good for your health beyond weight management, so IMHO, exercise should be a part of everyone's lifestyle.

Point #1: How many calories does your body need for "maintenance"?? For a 160 lb, 5'7" woman who is sedentary. . . that's about 1800 calories. http://www.caloriecontrol.org/healthy-weight-tool-kit/weight-maintenance-calculator-women (a calculator to determine YOUR maintenace level)

For diet alone, you'd need to subtract 3500 calories from that over the course of a week to lose a pound a week. . . So, 500 a day, which is eating 1300 instead of 1800. Ouch! Who can do that? For how long? Yuck. I love to eat. I'd be miserable. :)

Don't forget::: If you're gradually GAINING weight right now, that means you are ALREADY eating more than maintenance. . . If you're gaining a pound a month (12 lb/yr?), that means you're maybe eating 150 calories extra a day already! So, you'd need to subtract 650 calories a day, not 500, from your current "normal" to lose just a pound a week. . . Double YUCK!

For diet, it seems to me that the evidence is overwhelming that it doesn't matter where your calories come from (google Twinkie diet!). . . you *can* lose weight on any kind of calories, so long as the number of them is low enough (3500 deficit = 1 lb loss). . . Depending on your personality, favorite foods, weaknesses, compulsions, etc. . . which type of caloric intake works best for you might vary (excluding entire food groups such as starches, sugars, fats, etc is generally effective just b/c it takes so many foods entirely off your plate. .. not necc. b/c there is some magic about food groups, combinations, hocus pocus, etc.) Keeping weight off is a whole 'nother issue, which I again suggest exercise could/should be key in making it easier to achieve PERMANENT weight loss to those of us who love to eat.

Of course, it is MUCH healthier to choose healthy foods such as whole grains, lean proteins, veggies, veggies, veggies. So, it is my personal opinion that it is counter productive to choose to change your diet to something unhealthy. . . and so you should choose some diet goals that are actually healthy, not solely aimed at weight loss.

So, then, about exercise. . .

How much you burn during exercise is directly related to:

1) how much you weigh

2) how much you increase your heart rate during exercise

3) how long you keep your heart rate elevated

If you do couch-to-5k 3 days a week as designed, it has many wonderful health benefits, including the magic 3-days-a-week-30min-aerobic goal of many heart/etc health goals. Super. Nice! Yay!

HOWEVER, if you weigh, say 170 lb, those 30 min might burn 200-300 calories each go during those 30 hard, heart-pounding, sweat-dripping minutes. . . So, 600-900 calories a week. . . Which means possibly losing a pound every 4 to 6 WEEKS. *IF* you DO NOT increase your caloric intake!! This rate of weight loss would not be motivating for many/most folks. . .

So, then, how can running really help you lose weight, then?? Faster? I'll tell you how it works for me. . . (was a hair from pound #18 on the scale this morning. . .)

1) If you use c25k (or similar program) as a stepping stone to more lengthy workouts, then you can see your calorie burn each run increase dramatically. . . (E.g., my current calorie burns of 800+ per 70-90 min run for a 160 lb woman). . . In 3 months, I went from the 200-300 calorie workouts to today's 800+ workouts. That is NOT a long time in the life of a woman. . . and my weight loss started from week #1, presumably due to reasons 2 & 3 below. . .

2) If running (or other exercise) helps you change the way you relate to food, you can see dietary changes without formal dieting. Personally, running was *really* hard for the first many weeks. It is still hard. I still push myself. (It is not the same kind of 'I-hate-this-insanity-oh-cr@p-that's -another-#$%%^-hill-and-still-3-min-left!!!' but it is still WORK. . .' Every other day (at least) for the past months, I have pushed myself into my shoes, out the door, no matter the hot FL sun, cold WV snow, ungodly hour, illness, irritation, fatigue, vacation or not, school day or not, laundry backpile, work backup, school undone. . . NO MATTER WHAT. . . and MADE my body do my scheduled run. I JUST DO IT. The first time I had to run 20 min straight, I was in a blind panic the night before. . . I worry, I fret, I sweat. . . But, I just make it do it. One way or another. Getting this kind of control over my body makes getting control over the fork sooooo much easier. It is absolutely empowering. Also, I am coming to see food as fuel. I need energy to run. I need light food and an almost empty stomach to run. . . I choose 6 oz of light yogurt and maybe half a banana for pre-run food b/c that is what makes my body go. This is a new way of relating to food for me.

(FWIW, this kind of dedication has been very good for my mental health as well on many levels. It is very self-reinforcing as each time you surmount a challenge, the next one is that much easier to face. . .)

3) If you choose to exercise nearly every day (alternating running with other things like walking hills, ice skating, kayaking, biking, fun family stuff). . . you can double your calorie burn AND make running much easier since you'll improve your fitness every day w/o hammerring the same muscle groups daily. I have done this from Day #1. I think it has been very helpful, and it is also REALLY FUN!

HTH. . .

Go for a run. Do Day 1 today. Just do it. Don't wait.

At the start, I kept telling myself "It's 30 min 3 times a week. . . NOONE is too busy to find 90 min a week." I also told myself again and again "NO EXCUSES". Those two mantras got me through to the point when it is fun. I love it. I want to do it. I start looking forward to the next run as soon as I untie my running shoes.

Another thing that gets me through is the fact that even if I hate the runs themselves (which I actually don't). . . but, no matter, say you exercise 6 hours a week and feel awful/hate those 6 hours. Well, there are 168 hours in a week. . . so how do you feel the remaining 162 hours?? I guarantee, bet you a million bucks, you'll feel great those 162 hours. That is an easy cost-benefit calculation to me! Suffer for 6, feel great for 162. NO BRAINER!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST DO IT!

Couch to 5k plan: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Couch to 5k podcasts, free, download, put on your shoes, play week 1 & go: http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

Couch to 5k forums of super nice supportive folks: http://c25k.cze.dk/index.php

If you're up for a lot of reading, you can read by day-by-day blog of all my runs from Day 1 of Couch to 5k through my current half-marathon plan starting here http://c25k.cze.dk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=349 (I'm StephanieZ there, too.)

Edited by StephanieZ

Yes. I know very few people who have lost weight through exercise alone. Actually, I know one. My cousin lost through running and swimming, but he was careful not to increase the amount he eats.

It's a lot easier to not eat 500 calories than it is to burn off 500 calories exercising. :001_smile:

Not for me!!! I am much happier running for an hour, then having cheese fondue for dinner along with the family. . . than I would be watching a movie and then eating salad while they had the cheese. I love to eat.

(You can count me as #2!)

A lot of this makes sense. When I did Weight Watchers, I was allowed to eat one extra point for every two points I burned while exercising. That way I did get to increase my calorie consumption, but not so much that I negated the calories I burned.

See, and while I'm on WW, I NEVER, ever, eat any of my AP's (activity points). I don't want to exercise in order to trade the points in for food. I want to exercise to help me lose weight faster! :)

I am not losing weight from running. I'm on week 7 of couch to 5K, on rest this week due to shin splints, will try to continue next week.

I feel so much better though! I am continuing because my stamina has increased dramatically and that makes a difference in daily activities. I've just started to add in weight training, we'll see if that helps.

I am on week 6 of C25K and I have lost weight and almost 1 1/2 pants size. I have been very strict with my eating, staying within 1200-1500 calories a day, balancing my good protein with good carbs and a touch of fat.

I have lost 14 lbs so far, but this week I stayed the same due to 4 social gatherings, a touch of food poisoning which wiped me out F-today. So next week I am going to do week 6 again as I couldn't do my final run of the week. I really think the running has made all the difference in addition to my healthy eating.

Oh I forgot to say, I eat small filling meals about 5x a day.

• 2 weeks later...

I just came back and reread all these wonderful posts. Right after I started this thread, I came down with the flu (the real flu--body aches, fever, exhaustion, etc). I was in bed for three days, and pretty wiped out for the next three days. I'm headed to the treadmill in a few minutes, but I'm going to take it easy while I continue to recover from the flu.

I will lose this weight before I turn 40! :D

depends on you and hormones and it won't be the same every time you try to lose weight.

I lost weight in the past just by eating differently. I lost 60 pounds one year on WW.

Last year I started working out and dropped 20 pounds and tons of inches. But I worked out from Aug-Nov of this year and have lost NOTHING. In fact I have gained 5 pounds!!! And I haven't lost inches either.

I have to change things up but what now? It's always hard to find what is going to work.

we need more exercise than we get. Why not try a little of both? change some thing in your diet, add in exercise but not every day. Then add in more exercise and better eating later on when the first changes are habits.

I too need to step it up and find what is going to work at this age :tongue_smilie:

Very interesting thread. Something that's been one my mind for a long time. Great posts here also. Sorry if some of this is repetitive.

Exercise is wonderful for preventing all sorts of diseases – heart disease, cancer, diabetes, protecting the bones, lifting one’s mood, boosting metabolism, and so on. But in general, for weight loss, exercise is not all it’s made out to be. Lots of research has shown this. In terms of weight loss, diet and aerobic exercise provide only a very marginal benefit when compared to diet alone.

I have numbers to prove it - since I weigh and measure on a weekly basis - the times that I have lost the most weight are when I exercise moderately (not for an hour or more a day, like I used to) and eat MUCH, MUCH less.

My body has changed. It's not the body I had in my teens, 20s, or early 30s. I used to be able to eat that slice of cheesecake AND run 4 miles the next morning AND not ever gain. I can’t do that anymore. :confused:

I have more recently found that that when I exercise intensely for 45 minutes or more per day, my appetite increases. I get the most results from eating much less and exercising moderately – for about 30-45 minutes per day, or at least most days. That's just my experience. Again, I have numbers to prove it.

For me, weight loss is pretty much 80% what I eat and 20% what I do. As with most things in life, the usual 80/20 Principle applies. My dh (and others have said this also), say that it may be more like 90% what I eat. I'm actually am agreeing with that more and more.

When it comes to weight loss, intake is huge. When it comes to overall health and longevity, exercise is essential also.

I no longer exercise for 90 minutes a day, and sometimes not even every day, since it’s not always possible.

I tell myself to exercise for health not necessarily for weight loss. Exercise is not a weight loss solution.

Exercise is important, but it may negatively affect your weight loss for three main reasons:

1. Exercise makes you hungrier, causing you to eat more

Maybe not immediately, but eventually. Burn more calories and the odds are very good that we’ll consume more as well.

I know that when I exercise very intensely and for more than 45 minutes or so, my appetite can be insatiable.

"The most powerful determinant of your dietary intake is your energy expenditure," says Steven Gortmaker, who heads Harvard's Prevention Research Center on Nutrition and Physical Activity. "If you're more physically active, you're going to get hungry and eat more." Gortmaker, who has studied childhood obesity, is even suspicious of the playgrounds at fast-food restaurants. "Why would they build those?" he asks. "I know it sounds kind of like conspiracy theory, but you have to think, if a kid plays five minutes and burns 50 calories, he might then go inside and consume 500 calories or even 1,000."

Gortmaker and Sonneville found in their 18-month study of 538 students that when kids start to exercise, they end up eating more — not just a little more, but an average of 100 calories more than they had just burned.

2. Exercise causes feelings of entitlement. You may want to reward yourself because you worked out so hard at the gym.

People may think they can eat more, because they exercised for 30 minutes.

3. Exercise does not burn that many calories. Couple that fact with being hungrier and you may eat more calories than you burned. Exercise does help burn calories -- you just can't eat more because of it.

To demonstrate the calorie intake versus exercise principle:

Elliptical training for 44 minutes/500 kcal burned = 1 Honey Bran Raisin Muffin from Dunkin Donuts

Kickboxing for 25 minutes and 272 kcal burned = Grande Starbucks latte with whole milk

Jogging for 60 minutes and 470 kcal burned = 1 slice (1/6 of cake) of Sara Lee Cheesecake, chocolate swirl NY style

Pilates for 30 minutes and 119 kcal burned = 5 pieces of hard candy

To burn sufficient calories to lose one pound of body fat, you might:

Briskly walk a total of 35 miles

Swim moderately fast for 6 hours

Dance for 12 hours

Play about 12.5 hours of golf, carrying your own clubs

Jog for about 29 miles

At the same time, you would need to monitor your eating habits to ensure that you are not increasing your calorie-intake in line with your increased exercise! And we all know that it’s much easier to eat 1000 calories than it is to burn 1000 calories!

If you're looking to control your weight, exercise is the least efficient way to do it. You'd have to run for hours to keep the cookies you ate from adding to your waistline.

“Overexercise—for a variety of reasons—actually makes it harder to lose weight. Overly strenuous exercise—especially combined with insufficient sleep, unrelenting stress, and poor eating habits—can push your body into survival mode, raising your level of the stress hormone cortisol. Cortisol’s job is to boost energy levels by any means necessary. If these levels stay high for too long, cortisol starts breaking down the cells in nerves, muscles, and bones, converting them into energy. In the short term, it’s a rush. In the long-term, it’s debilitating.

Cortisol has another job: storing energy where the body can get at it quickly. And guess where that is? In the most accessible place, biologically—belly fat. Ongoing high levels of cortisol lead to weight gain, fatigue, nervousness, and possibly osteoporosis (loss of bone mass).”

We all need to move more, yet this doesn’t necessarily mean that we need to stress our bodies at the gym. Our leisure-time physical activity (including things like golfing, gardening and walking) has decreased since the late 1980s, right around the time the gym boom really exploded.

Very frequent, low-level physical activity — the kind humans did for tens of thousands of years before the leaf blower was invented — may actually work better for us than the occasional bouts of exercise you get as a gym rat. To burn calories, the muscle movements don't have to be extreme. It would be better to distribute the movements throughout the day – functional fitness such as housework, walking the dog, raking the leaves, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking while carrying groceries, walking instead of driving when possible, etc.

It's how much you eat, not how hard you try to work it off, that matters more in losing weight. You should exercise to improve your health, but be warned: fiery spurts of vigorous exercise could lead to weight gain.

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/articles/aerobicexercise.htm

http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/27/earlyshow/health/main5269114.shtml

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/phys-ed-why-doesnt-exercise-lead-to-weight-loss/

There’s a Gary Taubes video where he talks about how when we increase our exercise, our appetites naturally increase to adjust. Conversely, when we reduce our caloric intake, our bodies naturally reduce their energy output to adjust. The video is long, but definitely worth watching! He describes (in general layman's terms) the biochemistry of how weight gain and loss occurs, and it's very valuable information.

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/event_details.php?webcastid=21216

- someone here posted this and it's really very interesting.

Nonsense about strenuous exercise not being good for losing weight. Sounds like what people *want* to believe, but not what is actually true. Sort of like that theology -- what is it . . . that tells you that God wants you to have a flat screen and a BMW. Yah, right -- YOU want that. . . :) Exercise is hard. People want easy. Drugs, pre-fab packaged diet meals, diet shakes, diet coke, fat free chips . . . easy outs.

As I've said before, it's all about IN vs OUT calories. Sure, you can use exercise as an excuse to eat poorly, or you can use it to inspire you to view food as fuel for your temple. You always have choices.

Your body wants healthy food that remembers where it came from & exercise. Give it those two things & it'll take care of you.

Find me 5 people who have run 29 miles a week for a year.

Let's look at their weights over the course of the year.

I'd wager heavily that their weights have either been in the healthy range the entire year OR are substantially less than they were at the beginning of the year.

I have never met ONE SINGLE PERSON who exercises truly strenuously more than 6 hours a week and is obese. I'm sure they exist, but I have not met one. (And, obviously many exist who are new to their fitness journey & have not yet reached an equilibrium after a prior sedentary lifestyle)

I have met hundreds, thousands, of people who exercise at that level, but they all have healthy weights -- mostly on the th.in end of healthy. I have met hundreds, thousands, of overweight and obese people. . . many are good friends. . . NOT ONE exercises strenuously routinely (at or near the hour/day level over the long term). Not one.

Be real:

How many obese people do you know who run 29 miles a week? How many obese people do you know who do not?

How many people do you know who exercise strenuously & seriously (10 mile+ run runners, triathletes,etc), and have done so over the long haul. How many of them are obese?

Edited by StephanieZ

Couch to 5K is a great program for getting someone into running. I'm doing it myself, though because of previous fitness level I was able to start mid-way through.

But by itself, walk/run 3 times per week for 30 minutes is not going to result in significant weight loss. I think ideally one should be doing other forms of exercise on the other days, at the least.

The problem with American modern life is such that exercising 30 or even 60 minutes a day can't completely make up for the health problems of a body that is sedentary all the rest of the time. Studies have come out recently that show that we need to get modreate exercise, yes, but our lives need to be more active through the day or we can still suffer ill health.

How to do that is a homeschooling mom shouldn't be so hard, I mean I feel like I am up and down cooking and getting books and helping the little ones (having little ones does help a lot with activity level). But when I took a good hard look I realized how sedentary my day was. So, I made some changes. I don't always have to sit at the table or on the couch to read to the kids, I can stand up and move around a little. We can take breaks for a quick walk around the block. I can put the laptop on the kitchen counter and do some squats while I read TWTM boards. ;) Even standing up is better for the body than sitting for more than a few minutes. And sitting on a hard chair or on the floor engages more core muscles than sitting on the couch. And continue to do all the little things we have always done like take the stairs, park a little further away from things, walk across the street to the next store instead of driving the 1/4 mile to get there.

Exercise helps me eat better because I don't want to waste all the good things I'm doing for my body by putting junk fuel into it.

So, yes, running works but it isn't a license to eat anything you want, at least not before the marathon stage. :D

Not even then. ;) I ran 5 marathons last year and gained 10 lbs. Exercise is just a piece of the puzzle.

For me, I need to include strength training, lose the cocktails, and stop eating like I'm a professional linebacker to bring it all together. Since I'm planning on pacing a younger friend for her Boston Qualifying time later this year, you bet I'm putting all those pieces in action right now! :D

MTA: But to Stephanie's point, even with the 10 lbs., I'm still way within a healthy weight for me, esp. at my advanced age :tongue_smilie:(later 40s). It's that running doesn't absolve me from my other sins!

Edited by nono

Remember, it takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose 1 pound. An average runner/walker burns about 100 calories per mile. You would have to cover 35 miles in 1 week to burn enough calories to lose 1 lb. That is a lot of mileage. As you build muscle mass, that changes a bit, since muscles continue to burn calories long after exercise. Taking 3500 calories out of your diet per week is much easier.

So, really you have to combine diet and exercise in order to see dramatic weight loss.

Nonsense about strenuous exercise not being good for losing weight.

I'd wager heavily that their weights have either been in the healthy range the entire year OR are substantially less than they were at the beginning of the year.

I have never met ONE SINGLE PERSON who exercises truly strenuously more than 6 hours a week and is obese.

Arnold Schwarzenegger exercises strenuously or did exercise strenuously last I checked. He's obese according to the BMI charts.

When I used to run on average 28 miles a week, I was, at times, marginally obese. Not so when I did this in my teens, 20s, and early 30s. But once I entered my mid-30s, I had to really watch what I eat. Running was doing squat when it came to weight loss.

I have a friend who does intense 90-minute workouts 7 days a week and she is obese.

A family member does the same and he is obese. Hours on the stairmaster every single week. Obese.

I'm talking about weight here, not body fat or measurements. Just weight and BMI - not body fat%. clothing size, waist measurement, health - again, just weight.

Weight is about calories in and calories out. Not everyone who runs or exercises strenuously for 6 or more hours a week is necessarily disciplined with regards to their intake.

If you are, which it sounds like you are (whether it's age, genetics, discipline, or just plain old good luck ;)), then count yourself blessed.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

I am on week 6 of C25K and I have lost weight and almost 1 1/2 pants size. I have been very strict with my eating, staying within 1200-1500 calories a day, balancing my good protein with good carbs and a touch of fat.

I have lost 14 lbs so far, but this week I stayed the same due to 4 social gatherings, a touch of food poisoning which wiped me out F-today. So next week I am going to do week 6 again as I couldn't do my final run of the week. I really think the running has made all the difference in addition to my healthy eating.

Oh I forgot to say, I eat small filling meals about 5x a day.

This is inspiring. Thank you for sharing. I started the program today.

I did Couch to 5K several years ago and didn't lose an ounce. I'm doing it again now and have lost some weight. The difference? This time I'm on WW. Exercise alone does not cause me to lose weight. I also have to change my eating habits.

Last time I did Cto5K, I was part of a running group. This was a group that was training for half and full marathons. We met weekly for longer runs and usually had a speaker of some sort. One week the speaker talked about weight loss. They emphasized that you cannot depend on running alone to lose weight. Even training for a marathon, you have to watch what you eat.

I have a friend who exercises religiously. Running, marathons, boot camps, etc. She has to be careful about what she eats or she will gain weight. She'll tell me that the clothes she wore the previous year are now too small, so she'll have to go on a diet to get the weight off, even with all the exercise she does. No, she's not obese, but she definitely can't eat whatever she wants.

All that said, when I am running, I feel great. I have more energy and my legs look fantastic. :D

Nonsense about strenuous exercise not being good for losing weight. Sounds like what people *want* to believe, but not what is actually true. Sort of like that theology -- what is it . . . that tells you that God wants you to have a flat screen and a BMW. Yah, right -- YOU want that. . . :) Exercise is hard. People want easy. Drugs, pre-fab packaged diet meals, diet shakes, diet coke, fat free chips . . . easy outs.

As I've said before, it's all about IN vs OUT calories. Sure, you can use exercise as an excuse to eat poorly, or you can use it to inspire you to view food as fuel for your temple. You always have choices.

Your body wants healthy food that remembers where it came from & exercise. Give it those two things & it'll take care of you.

I have never met ONE SINGLE PERSON who exercises truly strenuously more than 6 hours a week and is obese. I'm sure they exist, but I have not met one. (And, obviously many exist who are new to their fitness journey & have not yet reached an equilibrium after a prior sedentary lifestyle)

I have met hundreds, thousands, of people who exercise at that level, but they all have healthy weights -- mostly on the th.in end of healthy. I have met hundreds, thousands, of overweight and obese people. . . many are good friends. . . NOT ONE exercises strenuously routinely (at or near the hour/day level over the long term). Not one.

Be real:

How many obese people do you know who run 29 miles a week? How many obese people do you know who do not?

How many people do you know who exercise strenuously & seriously (10 mile+ run runners, triathletes,etc), and have done so over the long haul. How many of them are obese?

You can still claim not to know me. Internet doesn't really count. Plus, I wasn't running. I can't due to knee and ankle injuries. (Seems doing gymnastics for 15 years takes its toll on those joints.) I did walk minimum of 6 miles a day at least 5 days a week, plus other exercise almost every single day. I ate in an extremely reasonable manner. I gained weight. No, it wasn't muscle. I can tell the difference.

H#ll, I used to be you. I didn't believe something like this was possible because it didn't fit into my personal sphere of knowledge and experience. It wasn't true for me, so it must not be. Those fat people are just lazy slobs. Yeah, she may eat right when out in public, but at home she must really stuff it in the old pie hole. Then, my metabolism changed. It was quite a rude awakening. Sure, some fat people are that way because they do absolutely nothing and overindulge. Others don't. Now, you might watch the way I live and think that the way I eat causes me to be overweight. The truth of the matter is that if I eat less, I GAIN weight. If I over exercises, I GAIN weight. No, it doesn't make sense to you. However, I have lived it. It is the way it is. For ME, I need to eat normally (actually fairly high calorie) and exercise very moderately. Oddest thing is that under this layer of fat, I am extremely fit. My cholesterol level is excellent. My blood pressure is beyond ideal. My resting pulse is something you might envy. I can still out walk all my friends who are out there every single day putting in the miles or running and walking. I'll join them occasionally on one of their intense, fast paced, walking excursions and keep right up with them with no problem. I'm usually the one who isn't winded when they are ready to stop. They don't understand. Honestly, neither do I.

You can still claim not to know me. Internet doesn't really count. Plus, I wasn't running. I can't due to knee and ankle injuries. (Seems doing gymnastics for 15 years takes its toll on those joints.) I did walk minimum of 6 miles a day at least 5 days a week, plus other exercise almost every single day. I ate in an extremely reasonable manner. I gained weight. No, it wasn't muscle. I can tell the difference.

H#ll, I used to be you. I didn't believe something like this was possible because it didn't fit into my personal sphere of knowledge and experience. It wasn't true for me, so it must not be. Those fat people are just lazy slobs. Yeah, she may eat right when out in public, but at home she must really stuff it in the old pie hole. Then, my metabolism changed. It was quite a rude awakening.....

Yep. That's where I am. I'm exercising about an hour every single day. And it's not just a little stroll. I'm dripping sweat and breathing hard. And I don't really eat all that much. My daughter, who's skinny as a rail and gets less exercise than I do, is always asking me why I'm not more hungry and eating more.

Originally, I got into lots of exercise thinking it would help me lose weight. It didn't. It does seem to knock down my appetite, but that also hasn't changed my weight. But it turned out I feel better when I'm getting a lot of exercise and eating less, so I've just kept at it and given up on the weight loss idea. The only other thing I can do is starve myself and probably not get enough nutrients. And I suspect even that wouldn't result in any weight loss.

Yep. That's where I am. I'm exercising about an hour every single day. And it's not just a little stroll. I'm dripping sweat and breathing hard. And I don't really eat all that much. My daughter, who's skinny as a rail and gets less exercise than I do, is always asking me why I'm not more hungry and eating more.

Originally, I got into lots of exercise thinking it would help me lose weight. It didn't. It does seem to knock down my appetite, but that also hasn't changed my weight. But it turned out I feel better when I'm getting a lot of exercise and eating less, so I've just kept at it and given up on the weight loss idea. The only other thing I can do is starve myself and probably not get enough nutrients. And I suspect even that wouldn't result in any weight loss.

Actually, the starving yourself will eventually result in weight loss. (I kinda tried that at one point.) It takes a little while, but it does work. However, you are not doing your body any favors with this method. Why? Because you are starving yourself. The body starts robbing more than just the fat. Plus, when you stop starving yourself, your metabolism slow down even more. Then, eating enough to keep yourself healthy results in an even heavier weight than you started at. (It is my assumption that the body wants to hold onto even more weight just in case that famine strikes again.

I really wish people could stop focusing on weight. I know slim is more attractive, but shouldn't health be the real issue? As hard as it is for some people to believe, skinny does not equal healthy; and fat does not equal unhealthy. There is a whole lot more to it than that!

I did walk minimum of 6 miles a day at least 5 days a week, plus other exercise almost every single day. I ate in an extremely reasonable manner. I gained weight. No, it wasn't muscle. I can tell the difference.

This just goes to show that every body is different. I could have written most of this up 2 or so years ago. Most of this applied to me even until a year ago. Great health and fitness,yet I was overweight and/or obese even (not saying that you are). I could also outwalk and beat most at many activities.

I really wish people could stop focusing on weight. I know slim is more attractive, but shouldn't health be the real issue? As hard as it is for some people to believe, skinny does not equal healthy; and fat does not equal unhealthy. There is a whole lot more to it than that!

I so agree with you, but the sad fact is that society is weight-obsessed.

I have to pay MUCH more health insurance than my dh, simply because of gender and weight. I'm much healthier than him. I workout more than he does. None of that matters, with the insurance companies. They want me to be under 139 pounds. I haven't been that low since before dc. Insurance companies and the medical profession only look at weight. They don't care how often or how much I exercise. They don't look for body fat% or fitness level.

Society is the same way. Even when I exercised like mad, I looked toned and buff, but I still looked overweight. I have pictures to prove it.

I know it's not the end-all and be-all. But even with all the exercise, my joints would often hurt, plantar fascitis, etc. I don't like skinny and I'll never be skinny. But I know that I could stand to lose some.

The older I get, the easier my health and well-being will be if I lose weight. I just read something and I wish I could find it, that BMI is actually a greater predictor of heart disease than aerobic capacity. Didn't exactly make me happy.

Also, in order to prevent bre@st cancer, one needs to ideally be within 12 pounds of the ideal weight. Not thrilled about that either.

I totally agree with you. I hate weight. I often tell myself, the whole thing is shallow and meaningless. It's just a number after all.

But the older I get, the more I realize that it is somewhat important. It's not everything, but it matters. I agree that skinny is not always healthy and fat is not always unhealthy.

As I'm getting older, weight is no longer a vanity issue, as it was say before marriage and kids. It's health.

Just one example: my 70-year-old mom has recently started having arthritis in her knees. Her physician said that she's actually lucky that it started so late and that it's only because she has no excess weight. I know a few people who are not much older than me and who have arthritis or the beginnings of it primarily because of excess weight.

In general, unfortunately (trust me, I'm not thrilled about this myself), the leaner we are and the trimmer our waistline (since waist measurement is a fabulous predictor of overall health), the better our overall health. My suggestion: be happy, be content :grouphug:, don't worry about weight, perhaps focus more on waist measurement.

The more I have read and keep reading, the more I realize that waist measurement is KEY. As a good friend just wrote: "My goal is to get my waist under the 33" -- Everything I read leads me to believe that the most important factor for health is your waist size-- not an arbitrary number on a scale.

In my reading I have discovered that the fat around your mid-section actually acts as an organ--secreting hormones and disrupting your health. It adheres to your internal organs. It is not good. That is what I want gone."

I have been thinking that weight and waist measurement are very closely related. I don't think I have ever been at an ideal weight and had a large waist, or vice versa, had a small waist and weighed a lot. I guess the two do go hand-in-hand ... Just different ways of measuring, I guess. I figure they're both important. I just read this from one of the links below: "As your weight changes, you can expect to lose about 1" from your waistline for each 6-8 lbs of weight loss."

This info may be of interest.

Because muscle weighs more than fat, many physically fit people are mistakenly classified as "overweight", while they are actually less likely to die young than a "normal" weight individual whose excess weight is mostly fat.

BMI’s downfall is that it does not take into account body composition - whether or not excess weight is fat or muscle - which is why fit people often find themselves in the fat category of the BMI rating system.

The important thing to consider is how body fat is distributed around the body, as the real problems occur when fat accumulates in the central abdominal region.

Some physicians suggest that a waist circumference measurement is more informative, in that it is a direct measure of the part of the body that tends to accumulate fat. Having a waistband of more than 35in in women and 40in in men indicates the highest risk of cardiovascular and metabolic disease. There is an increased risk of the diseases for women with measurements of more than 32in and men whose measurement is over 37in.

Many of us have been programmed to worship a number on the scale, but waist circumference is more important than weight. A large waist can increase your risk of insulin resistance, the body’s inability to process sugars, which raises your risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

http://www.collectivewizdom.com/NormalWaistSize.html

What is the ideal waist size? As you might expect, recommendations vary.

Under the guidelines of the International Diabetes Federation, a normal waistline for a woman is 32 inches or less, and for a man is 38 inches or less.

Many doctors are even more stringent, recommending a target of 30 inches or less for a woman and 35 for a man.

How to Reduce Your Waist

The best way to reduce your waist size is first to get as close as you can to your ideal body weight. In addition to that, research studies have found that certain foods can help you to reduce fat around your abdomen, particularly foods high in omega-3 fatty acids such as halibut and salmon.

It turns out that your waistline measurement may tell us more about your overall health than any other statistic. Why? All fat is not created equal. And fat around the middle may be the worst fat of all.

Your waist line measurement may be the most important indicator of your overall health. There is a direct correlation between the size of your waist and your risk for developing heart disease, stroke and diabetes and, if you are a man, erectile dysfunction.

How?

In contrast to the popular notion of fat as an inert blob, fat is actually an active substance. Fat leaks a constant stream of hormones into your bloodstream and some of these hormones are quite harmful.

Stephanie said "How many people do you know who exercise strenuously & seriously (10 mile+ run runners, triathletes,etc), and have done so over the long haul. How many of them are obese? __________________"

Actually, I know lots probably including my husband if you go by BMI. I would so that none of them are what I call obese but then I think BMI is a very flawed scale. Who are these people? Military who do run 10 plus miles a week and do weight training. My husband was doing this for years but only since he started limiting what he eats has his weight decreased a bit.

This just goes to show that every body is different. I could have written most of this up 2 or so years ago. Most of this applied to me even until a year ago. Great health and fitness,yet I was overweight and/or obese even (not saying that you are). I could also outwalk and beat most at many activities.

I so agree with you, but the sad fact is that society is weight-obsessed.

I have to pay MUCH more health insurance than my dh, simply because of gender and weight. I'm much healthier than him. I workout more than he does. None of that matters, with the insurance companies. They want me to be under 139 pounds. I haven't been that low since before dc. Insurance companies and the medical profession only look at weight. They don't care how often or how much I exercise. They don't look for body fat% or fitness level.

Deleted part of your post to save space.

No, I am obese. I have fat. My midsection is too large. The real point is THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT beyond starving myself. I have tried that to the point that my hair was falling out and I had no energy. If I eat enough to be healthy, my weight is too high. I can be fat and be healthy or starve myself. Even if it makes my midsection smaller, starving is not a good thing. I am not talking about feeling hungry. I am talking about not eating enough to give my body the necessary vitamins and minerals to exist. Basically, I am talking about not eating but a tiny, tiny amount a day. Yeah, most people don't have this problem. But some of us do. So, which would you choose? Eat what you want and eat as much as you want and be happy and healthy (I know it is hard to believe), or eat almost nothing while you have no energy to even get up and have your hair fall out?

So, which would you choose? Eat what you want and eat as much as you want and be happy and healthy (I know it is hard to believe), or eat almost nothing while you have no energy to even get up and have your hair fall out?

No time to post a reply right now. Just offering :grouphug:. I would choose the former - eat and be happy. I'll try my best to get back to you by tomorrow. I hope that my post didn't upset or offend you in any way. That's not my intention at all. I'm the queen of weight ups and downs. Ever since children, my weight has constantly fluctuated. Never mind how it gets harder and harder as we get older. :grouphug:

My BIL is the perfect example...he is a week away from running his 7th marathon (he's 43, runs a 4hr 20 marathon) and has about 20lbs to lose. Still. ;) He has run for 4 years at this level, and eats whatever he wants and it shows. :)

Weight-loss happens in the kitchen.

No, I am obese. I have fat. My midsection is too large. The real point is THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT beyond starving myself.

Not to negate what you say and have experienced ... I have come to believe that most weight and even most health problems can be solved over time. Starving oneself is not healthy. BTDT.

Eat what you want and eat as much as you want and be happy and healthy (I know it is hard to believe), or eat almost nothing while you have no energy to even get up and have your hair fall out?

I pretty much wrote the exact same post on another homeschooling forum a few years ago :grouphug:. Trust me, pretty much the exact same words. I was where you are. I was obese.

I then, with a LOT of work, effort, tears, and sweat - got to where I was at a very good weight. I got to a point where the desire to lose weight was so strong, that nothing was going to stop me.

I still fluctuate if I don't watch it. I realize that this is a lifelong struggle with me. It will never go away.

Right now, I'm on the hcg diet and feel very hopeful for the first time in a very long time. I'm losing, but am not patting myself on the back by any means. Losing is relatively easy. It's the keeping off that's the hard part. 95% of those who lose end up gaining it all back and more. I'm usually in that 95%, but I cannot for the life of me give up or ever lose hope. I have to keep at it. It's a health issue. I need to be around for my kids and hopefully grandkids.

Many on the hcg plan start off at very obese levels - needing to lose LOTS of weight. They're in it for life.

I've also heard great things about Eat to Live from others who are like you and I - who have such a hard time losing.

There's another program that I just heard about on another forum - one that I'm very interested in for when I finish hcg, if I need a change - intermittent fasting. If anyone here wants to know more, let me know. I'm still learning about it. It seems to be very do-able. No hunger, no lack of nutrients, etc.

But I know that you're probably not looking for advice.

So, which would you choose? Eat what you want and eat as much as you want and be happy and healthy (I know it is hard to believe), or eat almost nothing while you have no energy to even get up and have your hair fall out?

Neither. I try to avoid extremes if I can ... not always successful.

1. Eat what you want and eat as much as you want and be happy and healthy - I don't believe that I personally can eat what I want and as much as I want and be healthy. I might be happy temporarily, but that happiness would very soon fade. What I want to eat and how much I want to eat are quite different to what I should be doing in order to be healthy.

2. Eat almost nothing while you have no energy to even get up and have your hair fall out - BTDT. Not the hair falling out, however. This messes with one's metabolism and energy level. This is not healthy. This is not where one should be.

Right now, on the 2nd phase of hcg - I am eating almost nothing (or it appears like almost nothing compared to how much I was eating before) - 500 calories a day - yet I have even more energy believe it or not than usual, no hair loss, and no hunger (yet). I always take special supplements for preventing hair loss, however, as do many.

I'm cautiously skeptical, however. I'll see how it all goes once I complete it and after. When it comes to weight loss struggles, there is no magic wand. Wish there was.

ETA: Something else that just came to mind. This may not be what anyone wants to hear. Sorry to upset ... years ago I heard something on the radio.

At a dinner, where one of the guests was a survivor of a WW2 concentration camp, the topic of weight and weight struggles came up. Everyone was saying the usual - how they can't lose because of x, y, z - poor metabolism, genetics, you name it. The concentration camp survivor was silent throughout, until he said how all of these are pretty much excuses, and how people of all different weights entered the camps. But after a certain time, the food deprivation was the great equalizer. Every. single. person. will lose weight on so few calories. No one stayed obese or overweight on those camps. The weight came off for every one of them.

Some may lose weight slower. But the weight will come off regardless of genes, metabolism, blood type, etc.

I just believe that hope is essential.

Edited by Negin in Grenada