Menu

I am so, so sick!

We've been passing a nasty cold around here lately, but this is something else!

My throat hurts so badly that I even dreamed about it hurting. I am achy, cold, and just feel BAD - worse than I have felt in a long time. I am also having alot of...ahem...stomach upset. My nose is stopped up and I cough sometimes (but try not to because it kills my throat.)

I don't have time for this!!!:glare:

The worst sore throat of my life (outside of when I had tonsils out at age 6) happened when we were on vacation in Yellowstone - had to drive to the middle of the park to find the park's clinic - they swabbed me and it was strep!!! One kid had it too - she was nauseous (that can happen) as her major symptom.

If you can get to a local Urgent care or drug store that has a nurse on hand, a quick test may be in order just to check for strep if your throat is that sore! Yeah, you may also have a bad cold - and your weakened immune system more liable to let you catch strep, right? If it is strep, antibiotics can help you feel somewhat better by Christmas.

We are starting to fall here, too, like dominoes, from a cold.

Hope you feel better soon!!!!

Get thee to an urgent care clinic NOW! I had strep for the first time in a million years in the spring and my throat hurt like you were describing. A cold I can handle, the throat that you have sounds like strep. They can even give you a throat numbing gargle (100 times better than the OTC throat sprays). Hope you feel better!

If it is strep, antibiotics can help you feel somewhat better by Christmas.

Strep was the first thing I thought of when reading this too. A throat that "kills" isn't typical with just a cold.

Go see your doc - I used to get it all. the. time. and you'll feel better pretty quick with some antibiotics. (There's this spray stuff you can get at the drug store that kinda helps too - I can't remember the name, but just ask the pharmacist about "spray for sore throats".)

Oh and gargling with warm salt water (sea salt if you have it) is really good for a sore/infected throat too.

My 12yo had that. It wasn't strep. There's a cold going around here that starts in the throat and then becomes a head cold. The fortunate people stop there. The unfortunate have it move into the lungs and it turns into bronchitis. The doctor said that she couldn't prescribe anything that was any better than what we could get OTC until it turned into bronchitis.

For my dd, it started suddenly on Monday night. She was miserable (throat felt like it was on fire) that night, all through Tuesday and Wednesday, and then had it switch to a head cold on Thursday. She was fine by Friday, although she still has some left over congestion.

I got just the head cold part of it. It started on Thursday evening for me. I spent all of Friday and Saturday on the sofa. Today I feel a lot better, but I have to have a box of Puffs next to me. I can't be around people yet.

It is here too. When dd was taken to the doctor we were told the throat pain was from the drainage.

I woke up with something today that is quite difficult to manage with.

I think it is the drainage that is making it worse as the pain has lightened up some as the day has gone on.

As for urgent care clinics - not gonna happen unless I am still sick 4-5 days from now. I don't have $20 to waste for someone to tell me I have a virus! I can't even imagine what the strep test would cost.:001_huh: I'll wait it out for now.

I'm in my 3rd week of the dang thing. Started in my throat -- lost my voice for 3 days, then it simultaneously went to my head and chest. Just can't shake the cough and I don't have any symptoms that warrant a visit to the doctor. So it's been gallons of water, lots of mucinex, cough drops and a steam vaporizer every night. And Vics VapoRub!! Love that stuff!! The smell makes me think I'm getting better!!

The worst part has been that I'm a musician and this is the busy time of year for me. I've got Hals cough drops tucked into the pockets of my music folders so I can grab them if a coughing fit starts. (None of my dress black clothes have pockets!) I managed not to cough during a wedding gig yesterday so my cold won't be immortalized on the bride's wedding video, still have to get through a concert tonight and 3 services Chirstmas Eve.