Menu

Why do some of you view the board in linear mode?

I'm kinda curious why some of you read the board in linear mode. It seems most who do that have trouble following the thread of the conversation, e.g. who's replying to whom. That inevitably leads to posts trying to clear up confusion, e.g. "Were you responding to me?", "Why did you post below me?" etc.

I'm wondering if some people perhaps don't know there are other viewing modes? On the other hand, I know there are some people who prefer the linear mode but if there's an advantage, I'm missing it. Both the hybrid and threaded formats include the subject-line caption box; that allows you to better follow the sub-threads. I prefer the hybrid mode because I can both skim through the caption box and page through the actual posts.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda curious why some of you read the board in linear mode. It seems most who do that have trouble following the thread of the conversation, e.g. who's replying to whom. That inevitably leads to posts trying to clear up confusion, e.g. "Were you responding to me?", "Why did you post below me?" etc.

I prefer linear mode because it's what people typically use on other boards I frequent. I prefer just to scroll through the whole thread. It's true I have no idea who some people are talking to when they post a random question or "I agree." That's why I try and quote people when I'm answering a post directly. That way no matter how people are viewing the boards it is easy for them to tell specifically what I'm referring to.

I leave it in linear mode because I'm used to using it that way. If I need to understand to which post a reply is made I change to hybrid mode, but I always switch back.

No good reason, though. Just habit.

Me too. Just habit. I tried hybrid, but I can't remember why I didn't really like it.

I remember now why I changed. I don't like having to open each post to read them. I like to scroll quickly through all the posts. Am I doing something wrong?

In hybrid, you see both the threaded view, then you can scroll down and read each post in a linear fashion, starting at the top if you wish or you can click on any post and read all the posts "below" it in the thread.

I remember now why I changed. I don't like having to open each post to read them. I like to scroll quickly through all the posts. Am I doing something wrong?

You must be referring to threaded mode. Viewing with that format, you do have to open each post. I'd find that tedious and am frankly not sure why anyone would prefer it, either. Hybrid, as Pam mentioned, has the caption box on top, allowing you to scroll through the whole thread, and all the posts under that, already opened.

Lest anyone get their feathers ruffled, rest assured I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. I'm makin' conversation, wondering if I'm missing an advantage to the other viewing modes, and offering a suggestion to those folks who don't know different modes even exist.

I prefer hybrid because it offers a foot in both worlds. I can scroll through just the subject line window, or I can read through each post one by one down below. I have to admit, I scroll more often than I read each post -- that is, until I can discern whether or not I'm ready to be engaged in the thread or not. Make sense?

Lest anyone get their feathers ruffled, rest assured I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. I'm makin' conversation, wondering if I'm missing an advantage to the other viewing modes, and offering a suggestion to those folks who don't know different modes even exist.

No feathers ruffled here. Just to clarify. My posts are often just to the point and can sound cranky even when I wasn't intending it.:D

The Hand Slapping Squad will be there shortly, Mindy.

Is this your first violation? ;)

I changed back for the same reason.

I've tried to like the hybrid mode, truly I have, but I always end up frustrated.

If you open a thread to the last post (which I do often), then it only shows that post. Or if you click on a post within the thread, then you only get that post, or that post plus the others listed under it. It just ends up being too much "clicking" and drives me crazy.

So I always end up back in the linear mode, and just switch to hybrid if I can't easily follow the responses. I do appreciate quotes showing who the post is responding to; that helps make the linear mode much easier to navigate.

The Hand Slapping Squad will be there shortly, Mindy.

Is this your first violation? ;)

Is that what it sounded like? I was actually just clarifying that hybrid actually is the way she likes it -- that is, you don't have to open each post and can just scroll down and read all the opened posts.

Mindy, I'm really sorry if it sounded like I was scolding you. (And Andie, of course, the same goes in your direction. And I did see your winking icon, but I figure the truth is often spoken in jest.)

I use linear mode so I'm certain to see all of the posts. I have read some threads where someone has posted something that really doesn't apply anymore and I can only assume they were reading and replying to the first "group" of messages in the hybrid/threaded mode w/o reading through the other posts. (That really didn't make any sense, did it?)

Also, the time progression (linear) is more important to me than who said what to whom (threaded).

It certainly does help when people use the quote feature in their posts.

Plus, every other board I visit uses the linear mode and I'm familiar with it.

I prefer linear mode because it's what people typically use on other boards I frequent. I prefer just to scroll through the whole thread. It's true I have no idea who some people are talking to when they post a random question or "I agree." That's why I try and quote people when I'm answering a post directly. That way no matter how people are viewing the boards it is easy for them to tell specifically what I'm referring to.

I prefer linear mode as it's what's in use on every other board I read. So I appreciate when people quote at least a little bit of the post they're replying to, or at least mention the poster's name in their reply. :)

This sums it up for me, too.

And I'm way too tired today, because I think it's funny that Mrs. Mungo and Plaid Dad wrote similar things in spite of Mrs. Mungo's sig line about being no relation. I think I need a nap.

I'm wondering if some people perhaps don't know there are other viewing modes? On the other hand, I know there are some people who prefer the linear mode but if there's an advantage, I'm missing it. Both the hybrid and threaded formats include the subject-line caption box; that allows you to better follow the sub-threads. I prefer the hybrid mode because I can both skim through the caption box and page through the actual posts.

When I used the other modes, I was always missing posts, which would appear in the middle of the pages--wedged in, as it were. I find that linear mode is the easiest way to keep track of threads that interest me.

Interesting to hear that you are using the other, though. I have been wondering about that because I have noticed lately that I never know who you are responding to, which kind of militates against appreciating your comments--a shame, because I always used to enjoy them!

Is that what it sounded like? I was actually just clarifying that hybrid actually is the way she likes it -- that is, you don't have to open each post and can just scroll down and read all the opened posts.

Mindy, I'm really sorry if it sounded like I was scolding you. (And Andie, of course, the same goes in your direction. And I did see your winking icon, but I figure the truth is often spoken in jest.)

I was just joking! Since she'd asked if she did something "wrong" and (maybe since I'm in linear LOL) I thought she was kidding and meant was her choice wrong, didn't read it as asking for clarification about one or the other. Clear as mud?

No malice, no intent, at all, really. (There's no solomnly swear icon. Hmm. :lol:)

I was just joking! Since she'd asked if she did something "wrong" and (maybe since I'm in linear LOL) I thought she was kidding and meant was her choice wrong, didn't read it as asking for clarification about one or the other. Clear as mud?

No malice, no intent, at all, really. (There's no solomnly swear icon. Hmm. :lol:)

Oh, I missed the "wrong" part! Gotcha.

Yes, I vote someone in the big admin building in the sky should provide us with a WTM book icon so we can say "So help me Hana" with a hand on the book on one side and on our heart on the other.

I actually didn't know there were other ways to view the boards until you mentioned it in a previous post. I do wonder, however, how a post knows where it belongs, who it belongs beneath, etc. I guess if I'm reading a post when I decide to reply, it goes beneath that one? But sometimes I've been mulling something over for a while before I decide to go ahead & reply.

It makes more sense now, though, when people say, Oh, I meant this to go beneath so-and-so's post. I thought those comments were just...um...a little dense. Because who knows *where* your post will end up! But, turns out it's me who's dense. That's why I mull things before I speak as much as possible. I don't want to give it away! ;)

I actually didn't know there were other ways to view the boards until you mentioned it in a previous post. I do wonder, however, how a post knows where it belongs, who it belongs beneath, etc. I guess if I'm reading a post when I decide to reply, it goes beneath that one?

When you hit "quote," the reply goes under that post, whether or not you retain any or all of the quote or not. Like here, I erased part of your quote. Had I erased it all, it would have still ended up "below" yours.

I sit and mull things over, too. :D

You must be referring to threaded mode. Viewing with that format, you do have to open each post. I'd find that tedious and am frankly not sure why anyone would prefer it, either. Hybrid, as Pam mentioned, has the caption box on top, allowing you to scroll through the whole thread, and all the posts under that, already opened.

When I look at hybrid mode I only get the first couple lines of a post and then I either have to click on each one to read it, or scroll down and read it is linear fashion. I then have to scroll down linearly anyway, so I guess I don't totally see the value of the hybrid, other than it is easier to see the flow (which I don't have too much problems with in linear). Also, since not everyone seems to respond to posts in the same way, the hybrid mode ends up being a bit wacky at times also. I have tried all 3 ways (and I'm re-trying hybrid today since you brought it us) but I still think I might prefer linear. But, I'll give it the old college try.

Pam, you KNOW how easily offended I get, and yet you still proceded to hurt me that way!!! :lol: I didn't take it that way at all, my dear! I still don't get why hybrid is easier when you still have to scroll down and read it in linear mode.

No feathers ruffled here. Just to clarify. My posts are often just to the point and can sound cranky even when I wasn't intending it.:D

You didn't sound cranky in the least. I can't imagine you get your feathers ruffled that easily.;) Just wanted to explain myself to anyone who might not care for my original question.

Well, count me as a grateful listener! I had NO idea you could change how you view the threads. Very cool, and very helpful! Thanks!

When I look at hybrid mode I only get the first couple lines of a post and then I either have to click on each one to read it, or scroll down and read it is linear fashion.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you only get the first couple of lines of a post. This thread has highlighted for me some advantages to the linear mode, e.g. posts are displayed in chronological order. But what Pam and I were saying is that an advantage to the hybrid mode is the presence of the subject-line window. It would take me forever and a day to read conversations here if I had to scroll through each and every post. Instead, I often just glance through the subject lines in order to get the gist of it, hone in on particular posts that interest me, and decide if and where to reply.

I still think I might prefer linear. But, I'll give it the old college try.

Oh, Mindy, I'm honestly not trying to get everyone to view the board according to my preferences. I can see how my question might be interpreted that way, but it's not my intent. I've just noticed some folks don't seem to know when they're being addressed; or inadvertently post below someone when they aren't specifically responding to that person. Quoting provides clarity, definitely. Although if one quotes, it's nice if they put a title in their post, too. That way the subject line is specific, rather than merely showing part of the quote. Clear as mud?;)

Oh, Mindy, I'm honestly not trying to get everyone to view the board according to my preferences. I can see how my question might be interpreted that way, but it's not my intent. I've just noticed some folks don't seem to know when they're being addressed; or inadvertently post below someone when they aren't specifically responding to that person. Quoting provides clarity, definitely. Although if one quotes, it's nice if they put a title in their post, too. That way the subject line is specific, rather than merely showing part of the quote. Clear as mud?;)

Colleen, I did not take your post as telling me what to do at all!! I'm open to finding a way to make this easier if I can, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I am seeing it the way you are, and I guess I just like to skim more than the first line of the posts. But, I'm actually going to give hybrid a try for a few days to see if it grows on me or not. I tend to use the quote feature to respond most of the time.

Although if one quotes, it's nice if they put a title in their post, too. That way the subject line is specific, rather than merely showing part of the quote. Clear as mud?;)

The problem I have with post titles is that they don't show up when I get email notification of the latest post. I just get the body of the new post. If the title of the post contains different info than the body, the body often makes no sense. Sometimes I get an email that simply says "nt" and am left wondering what the heck is going on, kwim?

Also, I'm not sure that the post titles are searchable -- are they?

Also, if my post ends up under the post of whomever I'm quoting, what happens if I quoted various posts from various people? Oh, I know -- I need to just switch to hybrid and see where my last post ended up.

I use linear because I am in and out of the forums so often - when I pop in I can glance at the last few posts of a thread I was following, and catch what's new. I find hybrid and threaded take too long for me, and I spend more time going back and forth to see what is new than I do reading new stuff or posting...

I understand what you're saying. I'm all for efficiency!:) I wanted to mention, just in case (or anyone else reading this) doesn't know it, that when you view the subject-line window (in hybrid mode), new posts are highlighted, so you can see what's been added since you last read the thread.

Happy weekend, all!

Well I'm in hybrid and I *still* can't follow the flow most of the time, sigh....

LOL! I'm in the same boat. Half the time I can't figure out why responses end up where they do. :confused: This format has taken a lot of getting used to for me... especially in trying to figure out how to get my response to show up where I want it to.

Most of the time, I skim through the "tree" at the top to see if it is a "conversation" I want to participate in, read, or ignore then end up scrolling through all the posts anyway if it's either of the first two. :001_smile:

I understand what you're saying. I'm all for efficiency!:) I wanted to mention, just in case (or anyone else reading this) doesn't know it, that when you view the subject-line window (in hybrid mode), new posts are highlighted, so you can see what's been added since you last read the thread.

Happy weekend, all!

good to know. Thanks!

Linear is much easier IMO, and you can use the quote feature if you are directly responding to someone. That makes it much clearer! :D

I think that if you hit any of the response options inside a particular post it will appear underneath that post with the most recent response on top. If you hit reply at the top or bottom of the page, it will post your reply at the end of the thread as a response to the OP, and if you hit the reply button at the bottom of the page, it will post your reply under the last post on the page you were viewing when you hit the relpy button. I think. Not positive, though.

I hit quick reply inside Pam's post, so let's see where it ends up.

Pam, you KNOW how easily offended I get, and yet you still proceded to hurt me that way!!! :lol: I didn't take it that way at all, my dear! I still don't get why hybrid is easier when you still have to scroll down and read it in linear mode.

Well, then I can't help you.

:lol:

I can see the thread, and I can see all the posts open. It's not *easier*, it's just... more.

... so I guess I don't totally see the value of the hybrid, other than it is easier to see the flow (which I don't have too much problems with in linear).

The value of hybrid mode, for me, is that I can, at a glance using the top frame, know where the new posts are (without having to scroll through pages of posts) and then click on those that I want to read (without having to skim pages of posts I've already read). Clear as mud? :-} After all is said and done, though, I fully appreciate that what works for me may certainly not work for another. :001_smile: