Menu

Where can urbanites take their dogs AND what if a friend brought hers over?

First of all, I'm reading _How to be Your Dog's Best Friend_ by the Monks of New Skete.

After a discussion of the nature of dog as a pack animal, the monks suggest that owners involve dogs in as many "pack" activities as possible. Any time it's at all possible, the dog should accompany the pack. Until I moved here, I lived in the country and then in a couple of small towns. My dog was indeed blessed to be able to go just about everywhere with us. Living in the city, my current dog doesn't really get to go anywhere except when we go walking/running.

The monks, bless their hearts, actually suggest that the dogs should go anywhere possible: to a friend's when visiting, to work if you can swing it, shopping, et c.

Over to a friends? Really? I do see (and marvel) that ppl often invite themselves over to each other's houses. I see it fairly frequently, in fact. This is evidentally one of those behavious that I find outrageous but the rest of the world is comfortable with. I've been seeing it since my daugher was small and have been trying to be comfortable with it. Still, I would n.e.v.e.r. invite myself or my child to someone else's house. Somehow, that goes double for my dog. I cannot imagine replying to an invitation, "Friday afternoon? Sure, Daughter, Dog, and I will be there!" or even, "Friday afternoon? Sure we'll be there but do you mind if I bring Doggie?"

I personally can't imagine it but I also can't imagine inviting myself over either. Knowing that one is evidentally okay, I'm wondering how other ppl feel about the other. Hmmmm? So, is that somehow acceptable?

Further, if you asked a friend over and she either brought her dog or asked if she could, how would you feel about it?

Also, urbanites, where do you take your dog besides out for a walk?

First of all, I'm reading _How to be Your Dog's Best Friend_ by the Monks of New Skete.

The monks, bless their hearts, actually suggest that the dogs should go anywhere possible: to a friend's when visiting, to work if you can swing it, shopping, et c.

Also, urbanites, where do you take your dog besides out for a walk?

Bless their hearts? I'd say, shame on them.

We're city dwellers and our dog gets daily walks. The only store we take him to is the pet supply store because the owners have set up the store to encourage this.

My dh's work has an explicit no dogs in the office policy now because some people were bringing their dogs in on weekends.

I don't like this idea that people should feel free to bring their pets into malls, etc. (with the exception of service dogs). There are so many people with pet allergies and there's also the potential for trouble like biting dogs and health hazards from accidents. (I know there are people who don't clean up after their dogs outside so why should I assume they'd be any more responsible inside?)

I think if people want to arrange a social life for their dogs then they should plan to host these events themselves. I wouldn't be happy at all if someone just showed up with their dog at our house.

Some places should be just for people.

First, I can't imagine inviting myself over for any reason (other than, "My power is out and it's 32 degrees here, can we play at your house intead?") to someone's home I don't feel I know well enough to know it would be welcomed. But I can imagine saying to a long-time friend, "We'll be in your part of town tomorrow and we were thinking of swinging by or meeting at the park. Do you have plans?"

If you really want dog playmates, you get to know other dog people. They're probably looking for dog playmates too. I wouldn't invite my dog to just any old playdate, but I'd certainly ask, "Do you mind if I bring Rover too?" when attending a playdate at a friend's house who has dogs and is comfortable with dog visitors. This doesn't mean any friend who owns a dog. It means a friend with a dog (or dogs) that I already know is comfortable with the dogs playing together, so my answer is based on the assumption that we've already had dog conversations and our dogs have met or we've decided we'd like them to meet.

*I* wouldn't mind if a friend brought a dog to my house, especially if they asked first. We'd just introduce them in the back yard and let them play. But I am comfortable saying, "Our dogs don't get along, so it might be best to leave him home," so just asking if they could bring the dog isn't any kind of imposition to me. FWIW, I've never had anyone just show up with a dog and assume the dog was welcome.

Really though, for dog socialization, we go to the dog park. If you go on the same days at the same times (roughly), you meet the same people and dogs regularly, and the dogs develop a relationship.

Cat

I have had people ask if they can bring their dogs (we do not have one, but we do have a cat) and my answer has been yes. Having said that, if I knew it was a poorly behaved dog, my answer would be no. Our section is fully fenced and if a dog is well behaved, it's welcome in my home.

I also don't mind people inviting themselves over, and I also will call a friend and say that I'm in the area and are they free for me to pop in. I can't imagine being offended by that, perhaps it's regional?

Well, I think it's lovely that the monks want you to be your dog's best friend, and I also think it's incredibly important that you really love that dog, because after you haul your big, smelly, drooling, not-quite-housebroken or leash-trained pooch to all of your friends' houses a few times without asking permission first, you're not going to have a lot of human friends left. ;)

Personally, I have a few friends who bring their dogs when they visit, and in at least one case, I am happier to see the dog than the people. He's a Sheltie and I just :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub: him!

I have no problem with people bringing their dogs with them when they go places, as long as the dogs are well-behaved, and as long as they ask their hosts' permission first (and don't get into a big snit if the person says no to their request.)

Cat

I do see (and marvel) that ppl often invite themselves over to each other's houses. I see it fairly frequently, in fact. This is evidentally one of those behavious that I find outrageous but the rest of the world is comfortable with.

We used to see this all the time. Back in the day, when you were out shopping, picking up kids, etc, you could have a sudden whim/need and drop in on someone. You would certainly not have gone home, called them, and gone back out.

It has dwindled to virtually nothing since everyone has a cell phone.

There is, however, a very short list of friends where I would invite my dog over. And since they now have phones, I would call first.

What is the copyright on that book?

We live in the city, and no, we do not bring our dog when we visit others' houses. The only exception is when we go to my parents' house, since we never go there without spending at least one night. They call her the "Granddog." When they had a dog, they brought him to see us, and we pet-sat for each other as well.

This subject is actually a bit of a sore spot for my DH. His step-sister and his niece both bring their dogs to my in-laws house--despite the fact that they've asked everyone else not to bring their dogs over. So we do know people who bring the dog regardless of the hosts' preferences, and it's rude! The same step-sister used to bring her dog to our house, too, until my husband got so sick of the fleas that she brought with her that he made the dog wait on the front porch. That finally got through to her.

Further, if you asked a friend over and she either brought her dog or asked if she could, how would you feel about it?

I don't like it when people ask if they can bring their dogs over. I say it is not a good idea if the dog is a high strung or very active breed. When those types of dogs come over, my dog follows them around barking at them the entire time. Labs are one breed my dog gets anxious around -- the ones we know are not laid back at all.

He likes calm dogs, though. When my friend who has a bagle asks to bring him over, I don't mind at all because my dog adores him. A bagle is a basset hound/beagle mix. This one has the temperament of a basset hound. I adore him, too.

I don't take my dog to people's houses.

When we lived in an urban area, I took my dog to a dog park.

Edited by RoughCollie