Menu

S/O Ramsey - Haggling and bargaining

Not related to Ramsey specifically, but the idea of haggling or bargaining for things was brought up. Before I moved where I am now, haggling or bargaining was simply not in my lexicon. However, here it is very much expected.

So the question/discussion is: Is haggling or bargaining common where you live? Is it something expected, or just something that enough people do so that it isn't strange? Do YOU haggle or bargain for things? What will you or won't you bargain over?

Here, nearly everything you buy is open for bargaining. I can even go into the grocery store and ask if they would give me last week's sale price on something (or the week before that even). Sometimes they will. Sometimes they won't. Asking doesn't raise any eyebrows, nor does being declined. It just is what it is and no one thinks anything of it. A very common phrase is "what's your best price?"

If I go to the big town near me, it's the same in all of the regular shops (not at the big box stores -- they don't play nice :glare:).

I find it interesting that this sort of thing NEVER happened when I was growing up in the States, unless you were buying something huge like a car or a house.

I don't like the feeling of trying to get a better price than I myself would like to receive, just so I can save some money. My mom used to do that at yard sales, and likely would have reacted the same way many people on the other thread did, had I ever confronted her about the morality of it.

I like the feeling of paying a price that I myself would like to get, and knowing that a fair trade has taken place, that not only leaves people feeling good, but truly is good from every reasonable angle.

Here in India, many, many things are negotiable. I offer what I think is a fair (common) price. It does take a while to find out what a fair (common) price is, so I definitely have overpaid to start with. I leave with a clean conscience and build up a solid relationship with the merchants. They know I am neither interested in using them nor being used by them.

I go to the same places over and over. I like building up respect and trust-based relationships with people. I think this creates stability in a community.

I probably wouldn't see things this way if I didn't have any money, though. My thoughts would probably just be on surviving. Maybe you do have to have at least some financial cushion to even think about morality in relation to business dealings.

ETA: You know, I don't think it is just how much money a person has that determines their morality on financial issues. It probably is the person's conscience. There are certainly plenty of stories about wealthy people who don't want to pay anything for anything. So I think it must be the conscience of the person moreso than their financial status that determines how they think about bargaining/haggling and other money issues.

Edited by jld

We are familiar with haggling because we play the 2nd hand market a lot. The kids are good with it too. (and many sellers are not- so yes we do get good deals).

It does seem to be getting less uncommon in some stores too- particularly the type that sell white goods as they seem to be able to discount- as does our local computer store- but generalyl speaking I wouldnt go into a clothing store or a department store and ask for their best price. (I must admit dh has received very good discounts by pointing out slight imperfections on an item, though).

absolutely. we haggle all the time. for pretty much anything except for the grocery store. but if I'm buying in bulk from the farmers market, I haggle.

eta. I've managed custom jewelry stores and we not only haggled for materials (stone merchants ie) but customers haggled with us.

Edited by justamouse

I don't like haggling. Tell me the price. If it is acceptable, and I want the item, I'll buy. If it isn't, I walk away. If it is a venue where haggling might be acceptable, I send DH. He loves haggling.

I have not seen anyone haggle in stores. I think it is more common at garage sales and flea markets.

Not in regular stores here. In yardsales and such some, flea markets some. Alot of the flea markets here the person running it is often not the person that owns the things and each booth has different policies. I try dealing some on Craigslist but that sometimes work and sometimes not.

I don't have a lot of time. I don't like to shop. If I want the item, and the price is acceptable, I'll purchase it -- otherwise, I'll walk away.

For big purchases, we've usually already set a budget, and done the research. I know what is an acceptable price for what we're looking for...

I have held yard sales, and priced items fairly -- and dealt with some agressive hagglers. I routinely sell clothes in community "yard sales" and price them according to what I would be willing to take at 1/2 my sales price. So, if an item is usually valued at $30 retail, I may price it at $20 if it is in "like new" condition, being willing to take $10. But, I will not go below that number (if it's a multi-day sale, I most likely won't settle for $10 early in day 1).

Sometimes, I get the feeling those who are haggling aren't looking at quality, but focus on bottom-line price. IYKWIM. They expect to get the 100% Cotton, like new sweater with no pilling, fading, stains, etc. for the same price as the slightly-faded polyester sweater. And, they really don't compare.

I don't haggle a lot but occasionally will ask someone if they would take x amount for whatever item. Sometimes they say yes, sometimes no. I'm talking garage sales, not regular stores. I frequently have a garage sale and I price to sell...generally everything is $1 unless I have a big ticket item because I really appreciate shopping at reasonably priced garage sales myself.

Sometimes, I get the feeling those who are haggling aren't looking at quality, but focus on bottom-line price. IYKWIM. They expect to get the 100% Cotton, like new sweater with no pilling, fading, stains, etc. for the same price as the slightly-faded polyester sweater. And, they really don't compare.

Particularly in situations with women's clothing I am looking at the bottom line price because buying clothing without being able to try it on or return it is a HUGE RISK. I will try on a dozen items at the store and be lucky to find one that I'm happy with. It doesn't really matter to me how "upscale" the item is. If it doesn't fit me, it is worth $0 to me. So I will risk buying myself something to wear if it's a dollar or two, that way if I get home and it doesn't work I'm not out too much. I simply can't imagine paying clearance rack prices at a garage sale. Sure I'd like to GET those prices on my junk but since I'm not willing to PAY those prices for other people's junk I price low. Sometimes I think people who have garage sales don't also shop garage sales. If you get home and it's missing pieces or it doesn't fit or it's broken or whatever you CAN"T return it and you're out the money. That's not a happy feeling.

Edited by silliness7

I will on some things.

We wanted a ping pong table and we were looking for a used one. A person who had one wanted a Thomas table. We swapped! :D Trading is the best, but rarely happens.

Yard sales I will ask them to come down or offer a price I think is more acceptable. 9 times out of 10, they will take it.

Dawn