Menu

s/o How many of all one gender have YOU heard of?

Because it seems like having six children, all one gender, would be pretty rare. Although, I'm thinking its a high possibility for us.

We're TTC our sixth, however chances are we'll have a sixth boy. I can't imagine having a girl - I really think either me or DH have a "defect" that doesn't allow for girl sperm to fertilize my eggs. lol

Anyway, I'm just curious- how many families do you know (or maybe you personally!) that have six or more of all one gender? We may consider one more after a sixth, for seven total...what would the odds be for SEVEN of all one gender?

:)

(This is a spinoff of the All I want for Christmas is a daughter thread....it caught my eye because I feel the same way. And in fact this Christmas will fall exactly around the time that we should be getting PG if we are successful this month. I loved the story on that thread and it is so inspiring. I'm going to be praying this Christmas for a special little miracle. I hope that next Christmas I can post my story. :) )

Anyway, I'm just curious- how many families do you know (or maybe you personally!) that have six or more of all one gender? We may consider one more after a sixth, for seven total...what would the odds be for SEVEN of all one gender?

My brother has 6 girls.

We know a family that just had their 9th son! :svengo:

Oh! And the probability of having 7 boys would be 0.78% (although the chance of you having a girl remains 50%).

Editing again to say that it is assuming an equal 50/50 chance, lol.

Edited by Ailaena

I know several families with 5-7 children all of one gender. I'm from a family of five girls, so it seems totally normal to me. My brother-in-law has five brothers and he has lots of great memories of growing up with so many brothers. And I think his mom mostly does, too. :)

But I also know several families who had 4-5 children of one gender and then a child of the opposite gender. You still have a 50/50 chance of getting a girl this time around.

My best friend claims that the women of her family simply do not produce boys. For 3 generations, they've had nothing but girls--I think her mom had at least 5 but I'm not quite sure as they were all older and there were some steps in there too, for a total of 9 children. My friend only has 3.

I've known several families of 6-7 kids of the same gender. My own husband has 4 brothers, but then they had a girl as a late surprise.

After doing a lot of research, I have read that there are pretty significant studies that support that a woman's PH can influence which gender of babies she has. Its true that sperm determine gender, but a woman's PH can be more hospitable for boy/girl sperm. So these studies show that significant diet changes can increase odds of a desired gender by much more then 50%. (got this info from ingender.com)

It's all interesting to me, but I just can't change my diet that drastically. I've halfheartedly tried, but I'd rather just take what God gives me. I can hardly even do the Shettles, or timing method. I don't have the discipline or patience I guess. lol

Thanks for all the replies! :) It seems that my chance for a sixth boy is just a flip of the coin...lol

I do know two families that have eight boys and one girl, nine altogether. In one of the families the girl was first, good thing, because she was mamma #2 to the eight boys. In the other family the girl was born next to last.

I had home school group with a family that had six boys, adopted a girl and had two more boys.

I grew up next to a family that had five boys and a girl caboose.

Two of my dh's step mothers daughters only had girls. One had five girls, one had four. Her other dd had nine children and had almost every other one different.

Because it seems like having six children, all one gender, would be pretty rare. Although, I'm thinking its a high possibility for us.

We're TTC our sixth, however chances are we'll have a sixth boy. I can't imagine having a girl - I really think either me or DH have a "defect" that doesn't allow for girl sperm to fertilize my eggs. lol

(This is a spinoff of the All I want for Christmas is a daughter thread....it caught my eye because I feel the same way. And in fact this Christmas will fall exactly around the time that we should be getting PG if we are successful this month. I loved the story on that thread and it is so inspiring. I'm going to be praying this Christmas for a special little miracle. I hope that next Christmas I can post my story. :) )

My FIL is one of 9 children -- all boys.

His father was one of 12 -- all boys.

His father's father was one of 22 -- all boys.

My dh and I have one child (a boy) and most of dh's siblings (6 boys, one girl) also had all boys, but not nearly as many as 9, 12 or 22 all in one family. ;)

Edited by Audrey

I grew up in a family of one boy and five girls. Thankfully for my brother, he was the oldest and all of us girls adored him!

We have friends who have four girls, and other friends who are expecting their fifth child who is also their fifth boy. I have 3 girls, and we have friends who also have 3 girls and no boys. My dad had a cousin who had 3 or 4 boys and no girls.

I can't think of anyone I know who has 6 or more of the same gender.

Dh's family has a predominance of boys. His Dad is one of 8, 6 boys and 2 girls. Dh himself is one of 4: 3 boys, 1 girl. His aunt (the second girl from the family of 6 boys) has three boys. Now that I'm expecting another girl, everyone's surprised: unheard of for the family to have 2 girls and 1 boy. My mom says, our genes count too. We are pretty even in my family, and my mom's brother had 3 girls and 1 boy.

Well I believe statistically it is 60/40 boys to girls and we just about got that with 4 boys and 2 girls:). My aunt had bgbbbb and the people around the corner had gggggb and oddly, not sure if there is something to this, but the little guy has Down's.:confused:

My friend's father actually sperm sorts for a living here in the DC area and when we had just the first 2 boys he offered to help us get a girl if the next was another boy. He said he currently had a 93% success rate with it and that was back in 1999. Obviously we got 2 girls all on our own but I really did consider it....although the girls are twice the work:glare:

My husband and I had 4 boys in a row and then had our surprise twin GIRLS. When we were pregnant I remember my dh researching the chances of us having 5 boys or even 6 boys (after we found it was twins) and yes those percentages are low! We weren't trying for our twins (or trying at all) but based on the *timing* of how it all happened, I would say there is some merit to the Shettles theory, at least in our situation.

I know one family with 10 boys and 1 girl. I think the girl was #3 or 4 in the birth order.

Faithe ( who thinks nothing is impossible for God and well...you may just have that girl yet!)

Well I believe statistically it is 60/40 boys to girls and we just about got that with 4 boys and 2 girls:). My aunt had bgbbbb and the people around the corner had gggggb and oddly, not sure if there is something to this, but the little guy has Down's.:confused:

I'm a fairly active member of the Down syndrome activism and research council, and I can tell you there is no research (nor I have seen any anecdotal evidence) to suggest the the sex of the last child was related to the extra chromosome.

Despite the fact that most children with Down syndrome are born to younger mothers, the prevalence of having a triplication of the 21st chromosome does increase with age -- since he was the last child, the incidence was increasing with age :D.

This family had seven girls, a boy, another girl, then a boy (so far): http://inashoe.com/

I saw a show on TLC years ago about a family with 13 boys then a girl.

In real life the most I know are a family with four boys, girl, girl (deceased as an infant) then boy and five girls and just this month a boy.

I have three boys and have always felt I'd have a big family of boys. Don't know if we'll have more children but I'd love more little guys! :-D

We have seven girls. :) But, we also have two boys and I suspect the one we're expecting now is a boy too. :D

A family we're very close to IRL has seven boys and one girl. :) We've had babies close to one another (from 3 days to a couple months apart) for the last seven babies. It's very odd, but the strangest part is that when WE have a girl, they have a boy. And when they had their only girl - we had Timothy. :)

I do know of one family, an Amish family, the mother had TEN boys. TEN. I can't imagine. My two boys keep my as busy (or more) than all my girls. :)

Another weird thing in my family is that I'm the oldest and I have three younger brothers. I have three boys, and my brothers have six girls/no boys among the three of them. One brother is expecting another baby in the spring. We're not holding out a lot of hope that it will be a boy. :-)

I'm a carrier for a mild X-linked disorder. The geneticist said that, ironically, I'm more inclined to have boys. If I was pregnant with a girl (XX), my body would know that one of the X chromosomes was damaged (because it had a healthy X to compare it to) and would likely end the pregnancy in a very early miscarriage. However, with a boy (XY), my body wouldn't know that the X was damaged so the pregnancy would carry on. So far that theory has held out with all the affected people in my family. We've all either had only boys, or at most, one girl. Personally I'm hoping that my boys have all boys and that this stupid condition can die out in my family!

I have five girls. I've known a few other families with 4-5+ of all one sex. My dad's uncle had six girls and then a boy. My uncle had five girls and then a boy.

Dh and I both come from families with mixed sexes. His had two boys and two girls. Mine has two girls and four boys. My mom has five brothers and one sister. My dad has two brothers and three sisters. My FIL has three brothers and one sister. My MIL has three brothers and no sisters.

We are 95% sure that we are done. If we did have a sixth I would expect another girl.

Okay so I tried for a girl with my last since the way my first 2 were conceived were dead on for the gender they were.

DD#1 We got pg right away and our method was just lots of TEA. Everyday for a week during the week I was most likely to ovulate. Now each time you have TEA sperm, specifically lots of boy sperm since they have the shorter life, is reduced. It make sense that dd was a girl because the sperm left when I ovulated was most likely female.

DS took 6 months and I know the EXACT 48 hours in which he was conceived since I was charting my temps. Also I read that if the woman has the big O AFTER the man than the sperm is propelled into the womb and gets to the egg faster.

DD#2 I think this is Shettles, but I did want another girl and after my cycle we did not have TEA until I was close to ovulation. Dh was going out of town so it worked and that month we had TEA only once in the first 2.5 weeks and conceived. The idea is that the boys sperm are less from hanging out too long...

Dh comes from generations of boys so it's a big deal that we have two girls. I think there were only 2 girls in 5 or 6 generations. I have 3 half sisters and 1 half brother so it's confusing on my side. I wonder as well if I am one whose Ph is geared toward girls. I would love another boy.

Another weird thing in my family is that I'm the oldest and I have three younger brothers. I have three boys, and my brothers have six girls/no boys among the three of them. One brother is expecting another baby in the spring. We're not holding out a lot of hope that it will be a boy. :-)

I'm a carrier for a mild X-linked disorder. The geneticist said that, ironically, I'm more inclined to have boys. If I was pregnant with a girl (XX), my body would know that one of the X chromosomes was damaged (because it had a healthy X to compare it to) and would likely end the pregnancy in a very early miscarriage. However, with a boy (XY), my body wouldn't know that the X was damaged so the pregnancy would carry on. So far that theory has held out with all the affected people in my family. We've all either had only boys, or at most, one girl. Personally I'm hoping that my boys have all boys and that this stupid condition can die out in my family!

That's really interesting. I didn't know that such disorders existed. I've had two early m/c. Each time I wondered, "was that my girl?" :(