Menu

Zyrtec question

I just started taking Zyrtec (the generic version) yesterday. Both yesterday and today I've been really irritable, short with my kids for no reason (or for things that would usually only mildly annoy me), easily frustrated . . . if it wasn't for the fact that I just finished, I'd think it was PMS. It's really frustrating, because I *know* I'm being unreasonable, but I can't seem to snap out of it. Anyway, it occurred to me that I remembered reading a thread a while ago (this one) about possible mood-altering effects of Zyrtec, so I'm wondering if that could be it.

For those of you who have had this happen (or have a child that Zyrtec affects this way), did it happen so quickly--after only one or two doses?

I don't remember how fast for my son but if you go off you'll know pretty quickly if it's the medication. My thinking is if it clears as quickly as it does the mood effect is likely just as quick. But we only figured out it was Zyrtec in retrospect so I can't pinpoint when it started vs. the mood issues.

After some time of being on Zyrtec, my ds started having night terrors. As soon as I took him off of this, he was immediately better. I didn't notice if it affected him in other ways, but it's certainly possible.

I would consider going without for a bit and see if you feel improved.

Yes!! Dd started taking it this fall and it effected her right away although it took me a few days to figure out what was turning her into an angry child. We stopped the medication and that cleared up the problem. Then a few weeks later we tried a half dose and had the same results. We are now a Zyrtec-free family but we haven't managed to resolve the allergy symptoms.

Yes!! Dd started taking it this fall and it effected her right away although it took me a few days to figure out what was turning her into an angry child. We stopped the medication and that cleared up the problem. Then a few weeks later we tried a half dose and had the same results. We are now a Zyrtec-free family but we haven't managed to resolve the allergy symptoms.

I'm thankful you posted about it (you were the OP in the thread I linked)--otherwise I probably wouldn't have figured out that it might be the Zyrtec!

I'll try going without it tomorrow and see if that helps. Thank you!

I just started taking Zyrtec (the generic version) yesterday. Both yesterday and today I've been really irritable, short with my kids for no reason (or for things that would usually only mildly annoy me), easily frustrated . . . if it wasn't for the fact that I just finished, I'd think it was PMS. It's really frustrating, because I *know* I'm being unreasonable, but I can't seem to snap out of it. Anyway, it occurred to me that I remembered reading a thread a while ago (this one) about possible mood-altering effects of Zyrtec, so I'm wondering if that could be it.

For those of you who have had this happen (or have a child that Zyrtec affects this way), did it happen so quickly--after only one or two doses?

For me, yes. Within a few hours of taking Zyrtec, I am a raving lunatic.

Zyrtec does not cross the blood-brain barrier in very large amounts, so it should be less likely to cause neurological issues than other antihistamines.

Perhaps Claritin would work better for you?

I had been taking Claritin, but it wasn't doing anything. My allergist said that the recommended dose on the package was actually half of what the FDA/committee of doctors who did the recommendations suggested (he was on the committee). He said that the drug companies could lower the dosage (presumably to reduce the likelihood of overdoses and lawsuits), they just couldn't increase it. So I think I'll talk to him about taking a higher dose of Claritin and try that. He also said that one Zyrtec is about as effective as two Claritin, so given the severity of my allergies, it may be that the recommended dose of Claritin just isn't enough.

Wow, I never heard of this. I've never taken it but I did recently give it to my daughter once a day for at least 3 weeks straight and never noticed any changes in behavior, attitude, or ANYTHING. (It was part of the routine I was following for her eczema).

With that said, I did read (on Dr. Sears) that while it's safe to use for several weeks, you should take a break from it, so she hasn't had it for the past two nights. No changes in any behaviors or attitudes still, she's been fine.

Scary, though! I'm keeping an eye on her to see if the rest of our eczema routine will be effective enough even WITHOUT the zyrtec but if I notice it starting to worsen again, I'll put her back on it and keep cycling through 2 or 3 weeks on, a week off. We only need to do this over the winter months.

Wow, I never heard of this. I've never taken it but I did recently give it to my daughter once a day for at least 3 weeks straight and never noticed any changes in behavior, attitude, or ANYTHING. (It was part of the routine I was following for her eczema).

With that said, I did read (on Dr. Sears) that while it's safe to use for several weeks, you should take a break from it, so she hasn't had it for the past two nights. No changes in any behaviors or attitudes still, she's been fine.

Scary, though! I'm keeping an eye on her to see if the rest of our eczema routine will be effective enough even WITHOUT the zyrtec but if I notice it starting to worsen again, I'll put her back on it and keep cycling through 2 or 3 weeks on, a week off. We only need to do this over the winter months.

If she hasn't had any changes yet, she probably won't. It just affects some people badly, not everyone. Most people take it with no problem.