Menu

Help me pick a new cell phone. I'm a Sprint user and need a new phone.

I currently have the HTC Hero, which is Android based. It is very sluggish and I don't like the touch screen for texting, emails, etc. I do like syncing with Gmail and Google Calendar in real time. I don't use tons of apps.

I can upgrade but I'm really confused. I refuse to pay $250 for the Evo or the Epic, though I like them. Where I live, we won't have 4G for at least a year or two so the 4G phone doesn't really help me there.

I like the looks of the new Blackberry Style or the Samsung Transform. I like the Blackberry but not sure I will like Blackberry after a Droid phone. My dh has the Curve and it just isn't very intuitive to me, though I would probably get used to it soon. The Transform has the slide out keyboard but not sure about its reliability after reading reviews on the Sprint site.

Any suggestions? I hate deciding because there is NO perfect phone.

If you are not in a huge hurry you may want to wait a month or two. Verizon is rumored to be getting an Apple iPhone, and speculation in the rumor circles is that Apple may be opening up the market to other carriers in the US too. I love my iPhone, have upgraded through the years, and am on my third one. It runs circles around my hubby's droid based phone!

My dh has the Epic and loves it. It has a nice slide out keyboard. My upgrade is due and I'm not sure what to get either. I want an Android and I think I want an actual keyboard too. I haven't even looked at options yet either, we have Sprint as well.

I was just at sprint and read some reviews. Neither of the Samsung (besides the Epic) get very good reviews. I might wait to see what happens after the first of the year.

You may not like this answer but...

We have been Sprint users for many years and pretty satisfied. I did not want to spend the money for an Evo either but dh did and he wanted me to get one. I finally gave in after I missed two important meetings in one week (too much multitasking.) We live and breathe by Google calendar. Since we both work and oldest dd is in college (but lives at home and helps babysit) it is imperative that we know who has what meetings that can't be missed, when she is in class,etc. So I agreed to give it a try. It would be very hard for me to go back now. It never crashes. I have instant internet access. (I was in the store the other day and remembered that Amazon had a lightning deal coming up that I had wanted. Right in the middle of Kohl's I got on my phone, got to the lightning deals, put it in my cart and paid for it all within a minute or so.) Granted it has features (like 4g) that I really don't care about (and we don't live in a 4g area but 3g is very good.) But still above all of that...instant access to Google calendar, the ability to change it immediately and dh to see it, has made my life so much easier. Oh and something I just discovered...I had never used the speech recognition for typing since the last time I had tried that it was so bad it wasn't worth the effort. Then a friend told me she used it all the time and I have been amazed how good it works. I have fun with some of the apps and it's nice to have some features to play with for the younger ones when we are in the car or waiting for something. Anyway, the Evo has been great and a huge HUGE improvement over our HTC Touch phones that we had previously. If you get one you will want to spend some money on a good case which kind of hurts after paying for the phone but I would protect it if you buy it.

We have Sprint too. I have a Samsung Intercept, and up until today, I had a love/hate relationship with it. But today I got FROYO aka Android 2.2.1 (which the Hero will not be getting)! And I am in heaven!! It completely changed the interface and it is so much more user friendly!! Just remember no matter what you pick, you have 30 days to return ;)

Check out Best Buy. If you are due for an upgrade, they have certain smartphones for free. I got a Blackberry Torch for free. I have AT&T. I enjoy it so far.

True!! We got mine there for $100... and no mail in rebate. We also got hubby's Hero there, it was $89, while Sprint had it for over double the price!!

Check out Best Buy. If you are due for an upgrade, they have certain smartphones for free. I got a Blackberry Torch for free. I have AT&T. I enjoy it so far.

Well, I finally decided to get the new Blackberry 9670 as I mostly use my phone for business things like messaging, email, browser, etc. I wanted the pretty purple color and nope, Best Buy does not have it. I just talked to the representative online and they don't know when they will be getting it in. Drats. Now, I have to keep looking.