Menu

vocabulary

Farrar

I'm looking for something simple for vocabulary. My kids are in first grade. Right now, we just do a word a day and I really like that. What I don't like is our word a day book. It's cute enough, but the words are mostly too easy. The same company makes one for 2nd and 3rd grade and I could try that but I don't know if I trust them to pick good words if they don't realize that first graders pretty much all know the word "wagon." Or I could make my own, but that just smacks of effort. I liked having a quick daily thing to do where we could just flip it and get a new word with a little illustration all prepared and it could sit out for them to see all day. Anyone know of something like that appropriate for early elementary school? I don't want a whole curriculum - more like a word a day calendar for kids.

I like the idea of having a word list already so we encounter new words that I wouldn't think to teach the kids otherwise. Also, because I'm lazy and don't want to have to think about it too much.

Yeah, I know Wordly Wise is out there. I had not seen the Evan-Moor Word a Day curriculum. It looks pretty simple, but I don't really want to add to our pile of workbooky things. It already feels big enough to me. I really like what we have conceptually - a little stand up flipbook of words with cute pictures to illustrate them. I just think the actual word list they drew from is really lame.

But it may be that I have to make something myself. By the way, I really like the word lists that go along with both the PBS shows WordGirl (awesome show) and Martha Speaks (bleh show). Before I bought the little cheap flipbook we have now, I thought about making our own with those.

I love Robinson Curriculum for vocabulary. I don't use the RC totally for my curriculum but I do use the vocabulary. It comes with about 6 pages of worksheets connected to the words which gives my kids some great exposure to words in order of readiness. I wouldn't purchase the curriculum just for that though. I've also simply used the McGuffey Speller for the same thing.