Menu

What's on your Christmas menu?

We do more of a buffet with finger foods. So, a meat and cheese platter (and all the sandwich fixings), pasta salad, cranberry salad, broccoli salad, chicken salad, etc. We also have a tonof appetizers....spinach dip, deviled eggs, cream cheese pinwheels....just a ton of stuff. We all graze while playing games, opening presents, and this year....a surprise visit from Santa. Can't wait!!!!

I have just decided that I'm not cooking anything this year.

Instead, I'm going to make the rounds to all of your houses and eat there. Everything you're making sounds better than what I would have made, anyway.

So everyone, please plan on 3 extra people for Christmas dinner. :tongue_smilie:

Cat

I've decided to go with the New England boiled dinner I've been craving, even if I can't find a 'good' ham. In with the ham will be sweet potatoes, gold potatoes, cabbage, onions, carrots. I am exctied thinking about it. lol A boiled dinner reminds me of the olden days.

There will also be veggie lasagna for the vegetarians, plus a giant salad for all.

Oh, and crusty peasant bread!

Edited by LibraryLover

My mother always makes a standing rib roast. No idea what else will go with it this year. All I know is my mouth is watering already.

Oh, and after a long trip down memory lane of the ghosts of Christmas desserts past, the kids fixated on the homemade peppermint ice cream cake with the chocolate cookie crust so we'll be making that again.

So far....

Pork loin

Applesauce

Sweet potato pie

Green salad

Mashed potatoes

And.....CHEERIOS.

December 25th is also my youngest son's birthday. Our birthday tradition is that the bday kid gets to choose birthday dinner. Since it's Christmas, we serve a Christmas Feast, but he gets to choose the one thing he wants most on the table. This year it's Cheerios.

And we always have a fabulous birthday cake for dessert. He wants strawberry this year.

Cat

BBQ Ribs with Dreamland BBQ Sauce

Smoked Chicken Wings

Fried Pickles

Garlic Cheddar Mashed Potatoes

Roasted Green Beans

Buttermilk Biscuits

We took our move to Alabama a few years back very seriously and decided to have a Southern Christmas, LOL.

Turns out, we like it a whole lot better than traditional holiday food.:lol:

We'll be having a pretty traditional southern Christmas dinner. There will be a turkey, honey baked ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, deviled eggs, and then some sort of vegetables (most likely corn, butter beans, etc). My brother's girlfriend is going to bring some kind of potato casserole that sounds yummy. Desserts will be apple pie, cherry pie, sugar cookies, etc. There will also be finger foods out - a dip made with jalapeno/raspberry jam and philly cheese (very yummy), a shrimp ring, a relish tray with different pickles and olives, and then chips and nuts.

There will be leftovers for days... :001_smile:

*I forgot the cranberry sauce and dressing!

Edited by amydavis

Exactly the same what we had for Thanksgiving. It's a tradition. :glare:

Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, green beans, green salad, rolls, pies.

Same here except turkey at Thanksgiving and ham at Christmas and an abundance of jello salads ;). I'll be bringing homemade rolls and some sides.

Christmas Eve is at home and we do appetizers.

We do more of a buffet with finger foods. So, a meat and cheese platter (and all the sandwich fixings), pasta salad, cranberry salad, broccoli salad, chicken salad, etc. We also have a tonof appetizers....spinach dip, deviled eggs, cream cheese pinwheels....just a ton of stuff. We all graze while playing games, opening presents, and this year....a surprise visit from Santa. Can't wait!!!!

Thanks for your list... I think I may copy you this year but add a ham and rolls instead of the meat & cheese platter. We typically do a sit-down meal, but this year I'm thinking I want to have it more relaxed.

Thanks for your list... I think I may copy you this year but add a ham and rolls instead of the meat & cheese platter. We typically do a sit-down meal, but this year I'm thinking I want to have it more relaxed.

We changed to a less formal appetizer spread (with roast beef sandwiches, which is family tradition) for Christmas Eve. I used to do a sit down since we were with my mom that night and then we went to in laws for another sit down. I was stressed and life is so much better this way. We put on some Christmas movies and it really takes the pressure off me.

We started a tradition last year of having a simple soup and bread meal on Christmas day. It is so nice to know I don't have to spend all day cooking and can truly enjoy the day with the family. I am however baking a ton beforehand so we can enjoy plenty of goodies! ;)

We changed to a less formal appetizer spread (with roast beef sandwiches, which is family tradition) for Christmas Eve. I used to do a sit down since we were with my mom that night and then we went to in laws for another sit down. I was stressed and life is so much better this way. We put on some Christmas movies and it really takes the pressure off me.

I think I'm going to do roast beef sandwiches for NYE... the only problem is that I don't know how to do them! Can you pm me your recipe?

We always have a huge extended family get together with an all out traditional Christmas meal, but this year the extended family ditched us! (and they are making this a new tradition where they ditch us every other year...this is just the first one) So it is going to just be DH, the kids, and I and the kids are not really that into Christmas dinner. So I figure why make the effort when they will just pick at it anyway!

We are going to make our own new tradition!

I am making a bunch of individual size homemade pizza crusts and some sauce and the kids are all going to build their own pizzas with whatever they like. Pizza is about the only thing my whole family likes and can eat together, due to food allergies (with a few modifications for the youngest-dairy free cheese!). We will also have some kid friendly peas and an adult friendly salad (my kids dont like to eat "leaves":glare:)

For dessert we are going to make sugar cookies and the kids will cut them out and decorate them! We have never done sugar cookies....anybody make them with shortening rather than butter...do they still taste good?

I'm still recovering from Thanksgiving's massive spread--I'm thinking for Christmas Eve we'll have chicken and rice, but the roaster kind of chicken so my carnivore dh will have plenty to munch on Christmas Day while we nibble at veggies and hummus and chips and dip and several boxes of cookies.

I'm thinking Christmas Day the only official meal I serve will be pumpkin pie.

Too bad I'm the only one in my house that likes it. :D

I've just been mulling this over. I am hosting two holiday meals, one on Christmas Day with BIL/SIL/nephew and one on New Year's Day with my parents, brothers, SILs and nieces/nephews. I am thinking we will do this:

Christmas:

Turkey Breast, rice and gravy, rolls, vegetable tray, fruit tray, cheese ball and crackers, cookies/candies, pumpkin and pecan pie.

New Years (traditional):

Sloppy Joe sandwiches, Shredded Chicken sandwiches, vegetable tray, fruit tray, cheese ball and crackers, green beans, macaroni salad, and sugar cookies.

baked brie

crudite and feta cucumber dip

olives

cornichons

cheeses and crackers

warm crab dip with rye toasts

cauliflower and garlic soup

salad

lasagna (with homemade spinach macaroni)

turkey

lamb

(and I'm considering a ham)

potatoes au gratin

carrots with ginger and thyme

spinach with garlic cream

flan

gingerbread caramel trifle

tiramisu

cookies

I'm forgetting stuff

I have a small ham and a turkey breast; rolls; dressing; green beans (may do a casserole, not sure yet); and sweet potato casserole (sometimes put butternut squash in it, too). Cranberry sauce, butter, etc. as relishes. If I do fresh green beans I may do a hollandaise sauce. I have some Cheesecake Factory cakes for desserts....

For the days after, I have finger foods and we snack, eat leftovers, etc.

I'm taking on some of the cooking this year. Roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, green salad with mandarin oranges-green grapes and almonds, veggie dish: carrots, green beans, onion and fresh tomatoes topped with cheese, pickled beets, pickles, olives. Moms thinking of making eclairs for dessert plus there will be cookies.

Mom also has a list of appetizers for later. I'm making a raspberry chipotle sauce to use over cream cheese.

Now by New Year's I'm ready for Chinese! Last year I did homemade eggrolls, fried rice and sweet and sour chicken. I may do the same this year!