Menu

I Caved and Purchased Lipping Ma

Homeschooling6

I finally took the plunge and ordered Liping Ma's book:hurray:. For the month of December and some of November I have taken away our regular scheduled program (meaning our math books) and have been having some Creative Math time with my children. Going back to the basics with them. It's been scary because I am not a math person at all.

I was first inspired (believe it or not) to go this route (not sure how long it will last) by reading more about Waldorf Math. We started with Roman Numerals and learning about 'parts to whole' meaning 12 is more than 6+6. It can be many numbers put together.

Because I'm not good in math I have been looking for more and decided to add Lipping Ma's book to my collection. I'm really excited to sit and read it. I read a bit of the first chapter on Amazon and already introduced looking at 53-27 in a whole new light to my children.

Some of the resources I have collected are:

I'm pulling ideas from the above resources. Because I'm not very creative and math does not come easy to me, I will say that it's been challenging. There are no lessons plans for me to follow. Some nights I will have to read and reread and reread again, until I understand the math. My house is suffering some because in my spare time I'm reading one of the books above;).

Edited by Homeschooling6

You won't be sad you did!! It's a great book! I am not really "mathy" either, but my son naturally thinks "math" like no other little kids I know. He makes up problems and gets concepts that are beyond a 7 year olds normal thoughts... I love how the Liping Ma book tells you to teach math... and explain math, partially because it's how my son naturally thinks. But, regardless of how you've taught, I think it opens up a whole new way to think about what the written number represents :)

Alright, I just purchased it for my Kindle . . . they're not joking when they say, "Buy it with One Click". :lol: Good thing I have some birthday money to give DH for that one! :lol:

Can't wait to get inspired and talk about it. No school this week. Guess I'll enjoying reading about MATH in-between cookie baking sessions. :001_smile:

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. Along the same sort of thread (if you will) I've really been enjoying BFSU. It's teaching ME how to think like a scientist. Liping Ma's (sp?) book is next on my list. :D

:iagree:I'm working my way through BFSU. I'm not sure I would actually use it as it is with my students... but it is teaching me quite a bit, and I like the instruction for the instructor, KWIM?

Although, it feels like it might be somewhat complicated to implement in real life.

Next on my list has been (for some time) the Liping Ma book.... so after I work through BFSU a bit, I'll start on math in the spring. Looking forward to hearing your feedback on it. :bigear:

I'm only on the first chapter and really like how to explain subtraction with the words 'composing' and 'decomposing' instead of borrowing.

My only problem with my Creative Math teaching is I have to come up with all the lessons. The books give me ways to teach but they are not manuals.

Right now I'm using A Journey Through Waldorf Math as my guide. With my four older students we have gone through grades 1-4 in the past five weeks. Next week we will start our EZ Timez Tables which can be used for all four operations and more (factoring, fractions and such). From there I'll separate my two oldest (Josh & Annette) and use Christopherus 4th grade math along with what I am learning from the other books. Not sure where to go with Caleb and Brent.

*With Caleb, I may use his Bob Jones Math 4 as a guide and incorporate Waldorf/Liping into it.

The only concerns I have is doing math this way is very time consuming for me because I'm preparing all the lessons.

I'm still thinking.................

Edited by Homeschooling6

I belong on this thread...

I have the Liping Ma book sitting on my shelf and have been meaning to read it. I'm out of town for the holidays but this thread reminded me to get around to reading it, so thanks!

I'm gifted in math and I worry I don't make a good teacher because math comes naturally to me in a way that's hard to explain to others. It's fine for 1st grade where we are now, but I worry about later years so I'd like guidance on how to talk about math topics. We're using Singapore here, btw.

I also have BFSU on my shelf. I've read through it but haven't done any of the lessons because DH's way of being involved is "Science Saturdays". I love the book and am glad the next volume is out now too.

I just found the Liping Ma book at our used bookstore (yay!) and brought it home... Sweetie needed more work on subtraction with regrouping, and there it was in the first section. Woot! Her suggestions work perfectly with MEP, especially since so many of the examples fit with MEP's mental math model. And, Sweetie being Sweetie, we practiced different ways of composition and decomposition with a story about a gnome's pet who eats large numbers of toadstools.

It's amazing how flexible math can be when you let it. :D

I haven't actually read past the subtraction section because I was getting overwhelmed with all the new ideas. So good!

:)

Ooops! I was reading my book and noticed I misspelled Liping. I doubled the 'p' in my original post :glare: I was using American Phonics ;)

Maybe I'm saying the name wrong. Is the 'i' in Liping short? That's how I'm pronouncing it.

I believe it's long, as in Lee-Ping. That's the way I understand the Asian names to be, anyway.

And darn it, all these threads about this book keep making me want to buy it!

I believe it's long, as in Lee-Ping. That's the way I understand the Asian names to be, anyway.

And darn it, all these threads about this book keep making me want to buy it!

Thank you!

Now I have a question with regards to the number 20. Subtraction within 20, is that basically making sure they know their facts through 20 with decomposing?

The dcomposing with 20 I get but I don't. I'll go back and reread.

You know, I had this dream the other day that we did math through drama or acting. It was very interesting. We would dress up in costumes and pretend to be certain characters trapsing through the woods or sailing through the sea. I would then audibly (or on a white board) make up math problems that related to the adventure at hand. I don't know if that's possible, but it sure was interesting. Even more interesting is the fact that I am so not a drama type of person. ;)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
You know, I had this dream the other day that we did math through drama or acting. It was very interesting. We would dress up in costumes and pretend to be certain characters trapsing through the woods or sailing through the sea. I would then audibly (or on a white board) make up math problems that related to the adventure at hand. I don't know if that's possible, but it sure was interesting. Even more interesting is the fact that I am so not a drama type of person. ;)

That sounds a lot like LoF.

Sounds like Waldorf math:001_smile: