Menu

I need the awsomest cake ever recipe! Pls post/link yours! Pretty please!

I'm not much of a baker. I can but don't often. I make GREAT bread but find that when I bake bread, we eat the whole loaf and the stick of butter to go with it. When I buy bread, we eat a piece when we need/want it: a piece of toast w/ breakfast instead of a 1/2 a loaf with breakfast. I also make a pretty big mess when I bake bread.

I would like to bake more, though, especially more cookies, cakes, et c. AND I'm getting a KitchenAid stand mixer for Christmas. I'm so excited!

So, we traditionally WANT to bake a cake for Christmas (birthday cake) but sometimes bake one, often buy one. This yr I'll have my lovely new KA and my daughter and I would love to make a magnificent cake.

I have a delish recipe for carrot cake somewhere and I might do that. I'd like to branch out, though.

What's your best ever cake?

Okay - here is probably the BEST cake I've ever made ... and that says a lot because I've made some awesome cakes in my life ;) This one takes a lot of work/time, but it's well worth it. I seriously want to spoon the topping into my mouth!

German Chocolate Cake

3 oz (12 squares) German sweet chocolate

1 C. butter, softened (use only REAL butter)

2 C. white sugar

4 egg yolks

1 tsp. vanilla

1 C. buttermilk

2 1/2 C. cake flour (not just regular flour)

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

4 egg whites

2 C. white sugar

2 C. evaporated milk

1 C. butter

6 beaten egg yolks

3 C. flaked coconut

2 C. chopped pecans

2 tsp. vanilla

(1/4 C. vanilla pudding mix - optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Line the bottoms of 3 - 9inch round pans with parchment paper & grease the sides.

Melt the chocolate squares and set aside.

Mix together the flour, soda, & salt and set aside.

Cream together 1 cup butter and 2 cups sugar until light & fluffy. Beat in 4 egg yolks, one at a time. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla.

This next part is the most important one and the easiest to goof up: Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Mix ONLY till just incorporated. DO NOT OVERMIX.

In a seperate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/2 the whites into the batter, then fold in the other 1/2 until no streaks remain.

Pour into the prepared pans & bake 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove the cake to cool completely onto a cooling rack.

For the topping:

Toast the coconut and pecans in the oven. (I normally do this while the oven is preheating for the cake.) In a saucepan combine 2 cups sugar, evaporated milk, 1 cup butter, and 6 egg yolks. Cook on LOW heat, stirring constantly until thickened - takes about 30 minutes. (If you want to speed the thickening process, add between 1/8 - 1/4 C. of powdered vanilla pudding mix.) Remove from heat & stir in the toasted coconut/pecans and vanilla. Cool in fridge until it is the right consistancy to spread - about an hour.

Spread the filling between the layers of cake and also on the top & sides.

Both of our faves are from Ina Garten. One is chocolate with chocolate frosting and the other is a coconut cake. Delish!! I get requests for these each year for my kids'/husband's birthdays.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/beattys-chocolate-cake-recipe/index.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/coconut-cake-recipe/index.html

• 1 month later...