Menu

lapbooks and Visual-Spatial Learners

razorbackmama

I'm highly suspecting that 2 of my guys are VSLs. We've occasionally done lapbooks in the past, but not many. One thing that has gotten in the way though is WRITING. It wouldn't be a problem for my 12yo, so I fully intend to have him do a lapbook on his own (I had already planned on it). My 8.5yo though...he's definitely got some dysgraphic tendencies and hates to write. So my question is...for those of you with VSLs, who does the writing on your lapbooks? Do you write everything? Or do your kids actually like to do the writing?

I'm wanting to do the Botany lapbook from Live & Learn Press - they are gorgeous!!!!

Are there any lapbooks that go along with Biblioplan or SOTW?

My 8.5yo though...he's definitely got some dysgraphic tendencies and hates to write. So my question is...for those of you with VSLs, who does the writing on your lapbooks? Do you write everything? Or do your kids actually like to do the writing??

My oldest sounds very similar to your son. I always have my son start writing and continue until he gets tired, then I take over. My goal in doing lapbooks is to make a fun, hands on tool that my son can refer back to in the near and not so near future, not work on his writing. I try to have him get a little practice, but don't ever make an issue of it if he doesn't want to.

He actually does a great job and writes more in his lapbooks willingly and enjoyably, then he does in any other subject.

I'm highly suspecting that 2 of my guys are VSLs. We've occasionally done lapbooks in the past, but not many. One thing that has gotten in the way though is WRITING. It wouldn't be a problem for my 12yo, so I fully intend to have him do a lapbook on his own (I had already planned on it). My 8.5yo though...he's definitely got some dysgraphic tendencies and hates to write. So my question is...for those of you with VSLs, who does the writing on your lapbooks? Do you write everything? Or do your kids actually like to do the writing?

I'm wanting to do the Botany lapbook from Live & Learn Press - they are gorgeous!!!!

Are there any lapbooks that go along with Biblioplan or SOTW?

There are lapbooks for MOH, but I am not sure about SOTW. Maybe you could make the MOH ones work given it is on the Biblioplan schedule?

I would teach them to type, then have them type their answers, print them out (use columns to make them the right size) and paste in the answers.

Though if you can find one from Hands and Hearts that would work, they have some that have a type-it feature already built in.

My oldest enjoyed them, but none of the rest.

Heather

Dd11 and dd7 enjoy lapbooks. Dd11 is VSL and I thought the writing aspect of the lapbooks would be an issue for her but, like a pp mentioned with her own dc, dd11 actually is willing to write more in a lapbook or personally chosen project than she does for other subjects. She loves to use different colored markers, pencils and has typed the information before. I don't stress about the amount of writing she does in her lapbook. I don't consider the finished project to be the point; I'm looking more for how much she learns while doing it. Sometimes she will only put a short 5 word sentence down but when I ask her to elaborate verbally she can give way more information. That's all I care about really.:D