Menu

Craig's List Purchase

We bought a gift for dds for Christmas--it was in several garbage bags, & we had the kids w/ us at the park, so we didn't look at it (much) until we were home.

The stuff is pretty dirty, including permanent marker marks (all over) some of the toys, a few broken pieces, etc. I'm a little disappointed, I guess, because this wasn't mentioned, but for the price we paid, it's still...a decent deal. I would have liked to have known up front, but I've got a Magic Eraser & know how to use it.

One kind of piece advertised, though, was not included--there were supposed to be "a couple" of them. It's the part I was most excited about. I figure there's not much chance of getting it, but I email them, & they apologize, say they thought it was in the bag, & they'll get it to us.

Then no response for over a month. We had other stuff going on, I figure they did, too, but again, I figure not much chance of getting it. Still, you have to at least try, right? So I email them again.

They respond right away--they've found the item & have it in the car. (YAY!) Want to know if we're going to be in their city any time soon (30 min away from us, & we drove all the way out there to get it in the first place!) We're not, but I tell them that we'll meet them when/where we need to, because I do want to make sure we get the item. (If it were me, I'd be so embarrassed, I'd offer to bring it to the person--but I don't think these people are dishonest, just *very* laid back.)

Anyway, I tell them (again) that dh is a courier, so he's all over the metroplex. Name the time. Name the place. They're headed out to a city an hour east of us on Friday, would that be good? Sure, whatever. They'll be driving right by us, so we could meet them on the way there or back, I say. What time?

No reply. I just realized that that would have been today, & I don't think dh has heard from them--he hasn't mentioned it, & he normally would. I can't call him right now, but he's on his way home anyway.

I imagine we'll be able to pick it up this weekend, but...GRRRRR.

ETA: Dh just called. He hasn't heard from them. I've given them his cell # several times & asked for theirs, but they never give it. I don't know if that's an accident or if they'd rather not, so I haven't pressed it, but...well, maybe I will now.

Edited by Aubrey

Now you have me intrigued. What could it possibly be?:001_smile:

Oh, it's not a big deal, lol. It's a bunch of plastic buildings--Sweet Streets. They were supposed to come w/ play mats, like a layout of the city that the buildings can sit on.

I was having a hard time deciding if my 7yo was too old for something like that, but when I asked her to tell me about her "ideal toy"--totally from her imagination--she described something like this, specifically, the mat for everything to go on.

It wouldn't be as big of a deal if we'd spent $20, but it was quite a bit more, which is *quite a bit* for us. But we got 2-3 garbage bags full of buildings, cars, etc, & new, those are $20/apiece.

Anyway, I've decided to be happy w/ it however it turns out, since there's not a lot I can do about it, but I'm surprised that these people are so...well, they seem pretty oblivious. I really don't think they intend to be rude or anything. And they were old enough that I figure this is probably their first Craig's List experience. And they're from pretty far out in the country, too. So I'm trying to pretend I'm buying old toys from my grand dad. (Although he was never oblivious--he would have cleaned them up & fixed them first.)

I have to say it's probably a lesson learned, really if you didn't look closely at them and noticed things were missing or that they were dirty, we'll then that's not their fault. Who knows what they were thinking, probably that it's a pain to get this other piece to you and so they'll just ignore you completely, IDK.

For the permanent marker marks: I don't know if you've gotten them off yet, but acetone (like in nail polish remover) will almost always get those off. I once bought a plastic kitchen that was covered with marker, and it all came off with the nail polish remover.

Good luck getting the rest of it!

I have to say it's probably a lesson learned, really if you didn't look closely at them and noticed things were missing or that they were dirty, we'll then that's not their fault. Who knows what they were thinking, probably that it's a pain to get this other piece to you and so they'll just ignore you completely, IDK.

Excuse me? They sold me filthy, broken toys for over $50, & did not deliver the items that they listed in their post. That most certainly IS their fault, & they should absolutely be the ones to bear the cost/inconvenience of delivering the stated items. I'm not going to push the point because I want the items, & I think it was a sincere mistake, but if *I* had made the mistake, I would have gotten in my car & immediately hand-delivered the missing pieces or returned some part of the $.

*All* I have asked for is IF they have it (as they said they did) to please meet me at THEIR convenience so I can pick it up.

As far as the dirt & markers on the toys, yeah, I wish dh had pulled everything out of the bag & inspected it, but he didn't, oh well. HOWEVER, it is standard procedure when selling used items to note their condition if unreasonably broken/dirty. Honestly? These bags of toys could have easily gone to the Goodwill & been sold for $5 total. *shrug* That part is a lesson learned for us, but we've had good luck so far w/ people we've bought from being fair in their representation of things. And like I said, I don't think these people really realized what they were selling--I bet the toys have been in an attic for many years.

I hope to never purchase an item from someone as dishonest as what you've described.

For the permanent marker marks: I don't know if you've gotten them off yet, but acetone (like in nail polish remover) will almost always get those off. I once bought a plastic kitchen that was covered with marker, and it all came off with the nail polish remover.

Good luck getting the rest of it!

Magic erasers have worked in the past, but the other night, we got it off fine w/ alcohol, so that part's fine. :001_smile:

Excuse me? They sold me filthy, broken toys for over $50, & did not deliver the items that they listed in their post. That most certainly IS their fault, & they should absolutely be the ones to bear the cost/inconvenience of delivering the stated items. I'm not going to push the point because I want the items, & I think it was a sincere mistake, but if *I* had made the mistake, I would have gotten in my car & immediately hand-delivered the missing pieces or returned some part of the $.

*All* I have asked for is IF they have it (as they said they did) to please meet me at THEIR convenience so I can pick it up.

As far as the dirt & markers on the toys, yeah, I wish dh had pulled everything out of the bag & inspected it, but he didn't, oh well. HOWEVER, it is standard procedure when selling used items to note their condition if unreasonably broken/dirty. Honestly? These bags of toys could have easily gone to the Goodwill & been sold for $5 total. *shrug* That part is a lesson learned for us, but we've had good luck so far w/ people we've bought from being fair in their representation of things. And like I said, I don't think these people really realized what they were selling--I bet the toys have been in an attic for many years.

I hope to never purchase an item from someone as dishonest as what you've described.

Sorry, I just meant, maybe they didn't know there were more pieces and maybe you should have been more thorough in looking at them. I would never just pick up a bag and "assume" that everything is there. Good luck. :chillpill:

I'm sorry for this.

I have always looked at everything I have gotten from Craigslist. We bought a toy barn from craigslist. When we got there, the man took us in the garage and said here it is. It was a box with all pieces! I almost had a heart attack! ;) Because that wasn't the picture. Well, I told him to put it together so he did. All the wooden pieces slide together. It is beautiful.

So, the point is, always check the product before you leave.

But, they also were very wrong in what they did. They should be ashamed of themselves but it doesn't seem to be bothering them.

Try to contact them again....don't give up. Christmas is still a week away.

I would email them again, basically pleading your case....." Dear so-and-so, if possible, I would really like to meet you to get the rest of the Sweet Street pieces. My daughter is really hoping to get these for Christmas and she will be so excited when she sees them. I'd love to be able to give her this great surprise on Christmas morning. Please contact me as soon as possible....I am flexible and can meet you at your convenience. Thanks so much!"

Hopefully they will see/hear that you are trying to give your daughter a great surprise on Christmas morning. I know that at the holidays I get so busy....maybe that's the case with them? As for the cell phone number, I never give mine out to craigslist people. They always offer theirs, but I just don't give mine.

I hope this works out for you! My mom has a bunch of Sweet Street houses at her house for my girls to play with when they go over. My girls absolutely love them!

I like how you were very sweet in the first few posts, but then you got up in arms! You need to get up in arms with the sellers! I'd stop guessing their motives (old grandpa, first time craigslisters) and ask them straight out if they have the mat(s) or not! Get firm with them. If they don't have them, at least you'll know to stop worrying about it. If they do, get firm! You need to get what you paid for if they have it.

It really stinks. So sorry.

Would you feel the same way if it was you and you had ordered curriculum that wasn't as listed?

I think comparing things you can see in person and make judgment on the purchase vs. buying something online and taking your chances is like comparing apples to oranges. I rarely buy used curriculum, so it's hard to tell. I know if I looked at something in person, I would look over it thoroughly before deciding to buy it. Would you purchase a car off a used car lot without test driving it or looking at the interior?

Its time to start a reputable Craigs list, one that has to be inspected by photos or someone previously. The buyer beware thing sux.

People getting carp, horrible homes(like us) and killed is just out of control, why cant there be a decent place to find a job, a home and nice items.

I think comparing things you can see in person and make judgment on the purchase vs. buying something online and taking your chances is like comparing apples to oranges. I rarely buy used curriculum, so it's hard to tell. I know if I looked at something in person, I would look over it thoroughly before deciding to buy it. Would you purchase a car off a used car lot without test driving it or looking at the interior?

Well, I would normally agree with you on this, but Aubrey specifically said in her first post that she'd met the sellers at a park, and her kids were right there, so she didn't have a chance to go through the items carefully. She was probably concerned that her kids would get curious about what was in the bags, and the surprise would be ruined.

Had she been alone when she met with the sellers, I'm sure she would have inspected the contents of the bags, but it wasn't really possible under the circumstances.

Cat

Its time to start a reputable Craigs list, one that has to be inspected by photos or someone previously. The buyer beware thing sux.

People getting carp, horrible homes(like us) and killed is just out of control, why cant there be a decent place to find a job, a home and nice items.

There was a photo, & dh did peek in the bag, he just didn't pull every piece out individually.

They've emailed me a phone # & offered to mail it if we can't meet today. (I've offered to drive all. the. way. out. to. them. AGAIN, so while this is really, really wonderful news...why didn't they suggest this before???)

As far as them not knowing there were more pieces, it was advertised as a lot, but a few items were listed specifically. The mats were among them. So...at some point, they saw the mats, listed them in the ad, etc. And...I hadn't thought of this before, but...they'd have had to be pretty careful about the photos for all that black marker to have not shown up. :glare: Oh well. It's fine. I really didn't mean to make it a *huge* deal to begin w/, I was just...a little disappointed & thought you guys would probably understand. :001_smile:

Thanks for listening to my very small problems!

ETA: Oh, & they said they didn't meet us yesterday because they were waiting for us to email them. I. had. emailed. them. DAYS. before. AND given my #. Ack!