Menu

What stroller if $ not really an issue

Ok, so I'm fantasizing here ... I'd love to get a new stroller (we have one from all three boys, but it's a pain to steer, the kids can barely push it with any weight in it because the wheels are anything but smooth for turning), though right now it's only a fantasy because we don't have the money. Fortunately a teacher that works with dh gave us not only her infant carseat as her babe just outgrew it, but also the snap-in Graco frame stroller. But, I really want a stroller that can do the following:

1. get us smoothly around the neighborhood (paved sidewalks, up and down curbs and/or driveways)

2. get through the mall or a store without taking out everything in our path

3. go over the dirt (hard-packed) trails at the nature center

4. survive camping trips

5. has a decent amount of space underneath for a small diaper bag and/or my purse

6. can accomodate a newborn up through preschooler ... so something that can recline for a babe for now but also sturdy enough for my 4 1/2 year old to ride in and still be smooth sailing

We've been drooling over the BOB strollers, but I'm not sure what else is out there ... it's been a long while since we last bought a stroller (I think at least 6 years). So ... what would you get if you could?

I secretly really want a Baby Jogger City Select. I love how customizable it is. And pretty, too...

But alas, money IS an issue, we already have several strollers, and my toddler is getting big enough that I don't really need a double for when the new baby's born. Even if I want one anyway. :tongue_smilie:

I can tell you that the BOB strollers are AMAZING. Soooo easy to steer (can push even the double with 2 heavy kids in it one-handed) and they'll go over just about any terrain. If you do a lot of outdoorsy stuff I'd really recommend them.

When DS8 was born, I had gone through over 20 strollers. I was obsessed and collected strollers -- high end strollers. I realized that quality strollers had GREAT resale value and if I bought gently used ones, I could resell for the same amount I paid for them. I had a DD just 17 months earlier, and got addicted to doubles, LOL.

Then, one day I saw the ABC Adventure Buggy Duo. It was like the Bob or Mountain Buggy, but Different:drool:. Back then, you had to order from New Zealand -- they weren't available her. I paid $600.00 (eight years ago!), and about $100.00 in shipping. We used that stroller on beaches, on deserts, on trails. It was heavy, but boy was it beautiful. When DS turned 2, it was time to return to singles. I sold that baby on ebay for a PROFIT :lol:.

If I had more babies, ABC would be getting a call from me :D edited: Just realized they are sold here now as Phil and Ted's, LOL.

Edited by 3littlekeets

I'm sorry, but I think the Bugaboos and Emmaljungas are pretentious. It's like driving a Mercedes or Porsche-what does it say about you as a person that you need to flaunt the fact that you have a lot of disposable cash? :glare: We could've afforded to buy a fancy stroller when my youngest was born & we needed to replace our old one but I wouldn't just out of principle.

I'm sorry, but I think the Bugaboos and Emmaljungas are pretentious. It's like driving a Mercedes or Porsche-what does it say about you as a person that you need to flaunt the fact that you have a lot of disposable cash? :glare: We could've afforded to buy a fancy stroller when my youngest was born & we needed to replace our old one but I wouldn't just out of principle.

I don't know...there's a difference between buying a high-end stroller because it's good quality and what really fits your needs and buying one to flaunt disposable cash.

I've wrecked SEVERAL lower-end strollers pushing them through snow, and taking them on bumpy terrain they really weren't equipped to handle. A BOB (which is the type mentioned by the OP) stroller that lasted through the abuse would have been CHEAPER than replacing all those others.

I have no idea if Bugaboos have any value that makes them worth the price, but a high-end jogger costs just about the same, and depending on your lifestyle they are TOTALLY worth it. I'd hate to think people are walking around assuming pretentious motivations because somebody decided to invest in a good-quality piece of baby equipment that would last through several kids.

It would be like saying my friend who loves baking is a snob because she got herself a top-of-the-line KitchenAid stand mixer instead of a generic hand mixer. :tongue_smilie:

That makes no sense. :confused: So people who make a good income and can afford a BMW should drive KIAs instead lest people think they're pretentious? :confused: I don't know about you but I've driven both and you certainly get a higher quality car with a BMW; it's not just a brand. Nothing wrong with a KIA but why not get better and why think less of those who can?

I bought a high quality stroller when my first was born and I still use it. OTOH I have a friend who has bought nothing but cheap plastic ones and she's on her 6th. In the long run, I've spent far less money than her and have had a quality, reliable stroller that is easy to use and that I have enjoyed.

If people can afford an expensive stroller, why begrudge them that? I certainly don't think my 50yo, single, executive, hard working and high-income earning neighbor is pretentious based on the fact she drives a BMW. Why judge people based on their strollers? :confused:

Edited by plain jane

I have a Zooper Twist. I researched strollers like crazy and I felt like it was the best (same criteria as you, actually)! I *LOVE* it! It's almost like a heavy-duty umbrella stroller as opposed to a big clunky "carriage" -- I love how easy it is to maneuver, get in and out of the trunk, etc. Plenty of storage underneath. Check it out!

I don't know...there's a difference between buying a high-end stroller because it's good quality and what really fits your needs and buying one to flaunt disposable cash.

I've wrecked SEVERAL lower-end strollers pushing them through snow, and taking them on bumpy terrain they really weren't equipped to handle. A BOB (which is the type mentioned by the OP) stroller that lasted through the abuse would have been CHEAPER than replacing all those others.

I have no idea if Bugaboos have any value that makes them worth the price, but a high-end jogger costs just about the same, and depending on your lifestyle they are TOTALLY worth it. I'd hate to think people are walking around assuming pretentious motivations because somebody decided to invest in a good-quality piece of baby equipment that would last through several kids.

It would be like saying my friend who loves baking is a snob because she got herself a top-of-the-line KitchenAid stand mixer instead of a generic hand mixer. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: It would never occur to me to care what somebody else had spent on a stroller since it's really none of my business. I wouldn't have thought that what I paid for a stroller was something people think about or notice while I'm out with my children. :001_huh: Why would they even care? :confused:

:DSee, all this time I thought your user name meant your dh went to Harvard, now I know it means he's a Commie Pinko. :D

As for the topic at hand...I love the Bugaboo. I saw a black one at a local consigment shop the other day...for $300. lol I thought, "This is a good reason to have a 5th child." ;)

I have owned a Emmaljunga, a Peg, 3 Macs and more, so I am not one to ask...

Except nobody sees your top-of-the-line mixer. You're not parading it around town (typically clad in your designer outfits) :rolleyes:

I live in an affluent suburb, and believe me, the moms who have a Bugaboo or other overpriced stroller are 99 times out of 100 the type who value style over substance...

I can understand what you are saying. I definitely do not live in an affluent neighborhood and tend to see basic joggers and such around here. But I can say, as the OP, that I'm not looking for an expensive stroller for the style/prestige that comes with it. My main goal is to find *one* stroller that will do everything we need - basically go from the sidewalk to the mall to the nature center to the national parks, and back again. Plus, a small part of me wants to get a top-of-the-line stroller as this is the last one that will use a stroller, my boys are all big enough to walk on their own, and for them, we went with the economical stroller (and two of the four we had over the years were bought by our parents - an old school jogger and the one we have now). So, I'm looking to splurge a little (though some of the ones linked here are beyond splurging!), but it has to look like it belongs in our 8 1/2 year old minivan! :lol:

Whenever I use my Vitamix & KitchenAid mixer, I am sure to wear my Kate Spade black market tote (which I found at Saver's).

The short handles slipped over the Maclaren Techno handles easily, and without the bag dragging on the ground.

I'm just sayin'.

Except nobody sees your top-of-the-line mixer. You're not parading it around town (typically clad in your designer outfits) :rolleyes:

I live in an affluent suburb, and believe me, the moms who have a Bugaboo or other overpriced stroller are 99 times out of 100 the type who value style over substance...

Edited by LibraryLover

I can understand what you are saying. I definitely do not live in an affluent neighborhood and tend to see basic joggers and such around here. But I can say, as the OP, that I'm not looking for an expensive stroller for the style/prestige that comes with it. My main goal is to find *one* stroller that will do everything we need - basically go from the sidewalk to the mall to the nature center to the national parks, and back again. Plus, a small part of me wants to get a top-of-the-line stroller as this is the last one that will use a stroller, my boys are all big enough to walk on their own, and for them, we went with the economical stroller (and two of the four we had over the years were bought by our parents - an old school jogger and the one we have now). So, I'm looking to splurge a little (though some of the ones linked here are beyond splurging!), but it has to look like it belongs in our 8 1/2 year old minivan! :lol:

I really don't think that the expensive strollers are all about prestige. :rolleyes: Sure, they can be, but it's about features as well.

One of the nice features that more expensive strollers have over ones you'd find at WalMart are the ability for the seat to face either way. As a mama who's really into the AP lifestyle but couldn't always do the baby wearing thing, having my baby facing me in the seat, instead of forward was a huge feature. You just don't see those types of seats on Graco strollers. Some parents don't care for this or want it. That's the beauty of having so many products to choose from. :)

Another nice feature, IMO, is the lack of plastic parts and plastic wheels. Those are what are going to break down over time. Also, good quality tires make a big difference on a stroller when you're on a gravel path. I'd also look at how compact a stroller folds down to- trunk space with often comes at a premium when you have several kids.

Some of the strollers that unfortunately cost more, such as the Baby Jogger City Select, allow you the option to have two seats on the stroller instead of just one. So you can buy just the regular stroller (which comes with excellent warranty) and if by chance you have another baby close behind, rather than spending tons on yet another stroller, you just need to buy a second seat. Again, not everybody will need or want a second seat, but the option is there. I really appreciate the versatility that you can find these days vs. the only double strollers being the ones that are miles wide and barely fit through any doors.

Some strollers also have adjustable handles that can accommodate parents of different heights. For some couples, this is a moot point but for other couples it makes a big difference that both parents can use the stroller comfortably. Again, cheap strollers don't have this option. It's really not all about affluence and style.

You already have a list of what you want out of a stroller- do you have a stroller shop near you that you can go "test-drive" some of the models? I really do think that buying a stroller is not a prestige thing more than finding the right one that suits your needs and budget. When you're out with a whole brood of kids, you become spectacle enough that the last thing people notice is what kind of stroller you're pushing. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by plain jane

I guess I don't see walking around with a stroller as 'parading it around town'. I just see it as walking. That's what they're for. ;)

I really don't think that the expensive strollers are all about prestige. :rolleyes: Sure, they can be, but it's about features as well.

One of the nice features that more expensive strollers have over ones you'd find at WalMart are the ability for the seat to face either way. As a mama who's really into the AP lifestyle but couldn't always do the baby wearing thing, having my baby facing me in the seat, instead of forward was a huge feature. You just don't see those types of seats on Graco strollers. Some parents don't care for this or want it. That's the beauty of having so many products to choose from. :)

Another nice feature, IMO, is the lack of plastic parts and plastic wheels. Those are what are going to break down over time. Also, good quality tires make a big difference on a stroller when you're on a gravel path. I'd also look at how compact a stroller folds down to- trunk space with often comes at a premium when you have several kids.

Some of the strollers that unfortunately cost more, such as the Baby Jogger City Select, allow you the option to have two seats on the stroller instead of just one. So you can buy just the regular stroller (which comes with excellent warranty) and if by chance you have another baby close behind, rather than spending tons on yet another stroller, you just need to buy a second seat. Again, not everybody will need or want a second seat, but the option is there. I really appreciate the versatility that you can find these days vs. the only double strollers being the ones that are miles wide and barely fit through any doors.

Some strollers also have adjustable handles that can accommodate parents of different heights. For some couples, this is a moot point but for other couples it makes a big difference that both parents can use the stroller comfortably. Again, cheap strollers don't have this option. It's really not all about affluence and style.

You already have a list of what you want out of a stroller- do you have a stroller shop near you that you can go "test-drive" some of the models? I really do think that buying a stroller is not a prestige thing more than finding the right one that suits your needs and budget. When you're out with a whole brood of kids, you become spectacle enough that the last thing people notice is what kind of stroller you're pushing. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Lots of great advice in this post!

There are a few stores in my city where you can test out all sorts of strollers, and I think that's a great idea if you're looking at dropping a whole pile of cash.

Did I mention how much I want a Baby Jogger City Select? *sigh* :tongue_smilie:

I have to vote for the MacLaren Triumph too. It seems like a standard umbrella, but it has a net underneath to throw stuff in. Usually I hang my diaper bag by the shoulder strap over the handles and it stays just fine (unless I don't have the kiddo strapped in and he jumps out :tongue_smilie:).

Ours has been over grass, gravel, dirt, through airports (lots of airports), and it has survived. It is now 4 years old (I bought it when dd was 18 months old) and has been through 2 kids and still looks pretty great. Granted, it doesn't run as smoothly over terrain as our jogger (have one of those too), but you can't beat the portability, the durability, or the overall value. I think I bought ours for $110 at a TJMaxx.

:DSee, all this time I thought your user name meant your dh went to Harvard, now I know it means he's a Commie Pinko. :D

As for the topic at hand...I love the Bugaboo. I saw a black one at a local consigment shop the other day...for $300. lol I thought, "This is a good reason to have a 5th child." ;)

I have owned a Emmaljunga, a Peg, 3 Macs and more, so I am not one to ask...

Add this to the funnies list :lol:! And, I'm with you all the way. Good strollers are the way to go!

If money were no object? This Aprica stroller. The handle is reversable, a wonderful thing when you're walking into the sun (reverse the handle so that baby faces you instead of into the sun); the seatback reclines all the way down while the foot rest comes up, so that baby/toddler can lie down completely, with the cover on the boot, which keeps baby/toddler warm and protected.

I have an uppababy vista which is kinda like the bugaboo. You can add a 2nd seat and a buggy board if you needed to push 3 kids. It goes great everywhere we go, even in the sand, over grass or at the mall. You can find nice strollers pretty inexpensive on craigslist. There is also a yahoo group called Stroller Swap where people buy and sell and talk all things strollers.

I drool over Bobs, Phil & Teds and Valcos....so nice!

Maybe I should never have asked! :lol: I'm liking way too many of them, and the bad part is I thought BOB strollers were expensive! :lol:

snort, I just looked up a review on Phil and Ted's (also known as ABC) and they are listed as "mid-priced double" at $600.00 before accessories and shipping. :lol:

You get what you pay for. I went through 5 strollers by the time I bought my Peg. I should have bought that one first, I would have saved myself stress and $.

The tires are better, I could adjust the handle to how I wanted to walk, it was a breeze to fold and load, --and it ALWAYS folded and loaded, whereas my cheap ones didn't sometimes. The sun protectors adjusted in ways that the cheap ones don't. And, after 4 kids, I can still use it. My Dh will agree-best $ we spent.

Of course if you're prancing down the street in your Christian Loubotins, you may have to adjust the handles higher. And they have a nifty basket that you can pull out for your Vuitton so you don't drop it. ;)

When DD#2 was born 3.5 years ago (and DD#1 was 2, just about to turn 3), we bought the Phil & Ted's Sport Buggy with the doubles kit. And I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. I love that stroller. You can carry two kids without the the width of a side by side (which is difficult to fit through the clothing section of a store) or the legnth of a front/back which is hard to manuever because it is so long. Our stroller literally pushes like a dream....you can push it with your pinky finger. We still use it and my kids are now 3.5 and 6.5 years old....both can still fit in it. My 6.5 year old even enjoys riding in the back sometimes, despite the fact that it's a tight squeeze for her now.

We finally invested in a BOB Duallie (sp?) and I can't believe I waited this long or went through so many junk strollers before getting a BOB! I love, LOVE it! I can push it one-handed, it manuevers like a dream, it's so wonderful! Definitely worth every penny.

BOBs are all the rage around here. They even get stollen off porches! They're very popular.

We love our Phil & Ted's. My four year old still rides in the front while my almost-three-year-old is in the back (we have the doubles kit and infant "cocoon" for when my second was a newborn) for ours. It's held up amazingly well for the 3 years we've used it. And we've always lived in urban areas where we walk everywhere, so it gets almost daily use.

baby Jogger City Mini

The only thing it does not have is ample storage space (Though I could put a small diaper bag down there)

And its a DReAM to fold and goes all over -- And reclines so you could put a young child in there (it does not recline all the way to flat. So newborn may be a no-go)

If money were no object? This Aprica stroller. The handle is reversable, a wonderful thing when you're walking into the sun (reverse the handle so that baby faces you instead of into the sun); the seatback reclines all the way down while the foot rest comes up, so that baby/toddler can lie down completely, with the cover on the boot, which keeps baby/toddler warm and protected.

I had the older version of that stroller for Indy when he was a baby and HATED it. I bought it for all the features you listed and still hated it. I ended up selling it on ebay. The wheels were awful and there was no basket.

Four or five strollers later I ended up with my Peg Perego and LOVED it. I'll be getting the updated version for this baby, the PP Uno. It has a reversible handle, a boot (leg cover), nice storage, folds easily and doesn't weigh very much so it's easy to get in and out of the car. You can use it with the car seat as an infant carrier, but I'll be using the Kolcraft snap in infant carrier (love). The photo gallery for the Uno has a very sharply dressed man pushing it, but the old photo gallery had a chic Italian woman pushing it in some lovely heels. Maybe that's what drew me to it? :D

Of course if you're prancing down the street in your Christian Loubotins, you may have to adjust the handles higher. And they have a nifty basket that you can pull out for your Vuitton so you don't drop it. ;)

Sorry, I wouldn't know... I let my nanny do the walking. :lol:

I heart you both. I don't let the nanny push. I prefer to get the parenting credit. I make her walk 3 paces behind. Also, I prefer wearing my Manolos when pushing a stroller to my Loubos. I think they just look better with it. :D

The love of the stroller - a Chariot Cougar. http://www.chariotcarriers.com/ Uber expensive, but boy, have I loved ours. We got an absolute steal on ours at REI (it got marked down and then the mark down became another 50% off). If you want a stroller that can do EVERYTHING, this is the one. Sadly, we are finally selling ours and DS is having a fit about it. He loved that stroller.