Menu

Show Off Your Garb

Hi all!

The romance novel thread took an interesting turn to the discussion of the SCA and Renfaire garb. It sounded like there are quite a few of you who are into historical reenactment.

I'd LOVE to see some of your clothing or hear about the work and research you put into it! I enjoy a good old geeky renfaire myself but have never had the chance to make anything more than a skirt and fitted vest, probably pretty :ack2: by most standards. I really admire the work that some people put into their outfits.

Here's a pic of me at Crown Tourney. It was hot, so I'm just wearing my linen apron dress over an underdress--not my fanciest garb. (I'm the one in the glasses). DD has on a sideless surcoat. I did the embroidery on the edges (it's just blanket stitch):

47080_479959392432_719442432_6557022_5022305_n.jpg

Edited by Ravin

The first pic is dd in her houpelande.

The second is her in her Norse.

The third is me wearing a surcoat over my Cotehardie of Doom. I hate it and will never wear it again. The surcoat isn't quite right at the hips, but would be easily fixed if I wanted to fix it. But I don't because a surcoat is no good with nothing under it and I hate my Cotehardie of Doom too much.

The fourth outfit might make me look like a Turkish widow, but it's actually a Livonian minus the speccy bling bits. I now have fringe, but the bronze coils will have to wait. I don't know why no one will buy me bronze wire for Christmas. *shakes head sadly*

The last is when the cute little girl from the first photo was a baby :)

I don't seem to have pics of dd and I in our Roman, but that'll change soon because completing my Roman wardrobe is up to #2 on my project list.

So, none of my garb is very good, but it does stay together when I run it through the washing machine, and makes it "pretty good." :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Wow! Very cool you guys! Thanks for posting. The little girl in blue is precious!

I really want to do something that at least looks like I attempted historical accuracy. There's some very beautiful stuff on http://www.armstreet.com but I have no idea if it's "legit" or not. How do you do your research? I can't imagine there's much actual clothing around from then.

Edited by BigMamaBird

I just got a new corset the other day. I don't have any pictures yet. We love the Great Lakes Medieval Faire in Ohio. When the kids are bigger we will hit some fairs farther from home. Our garb isn't terribly period authentic. It's more of a fun thing for us.

We also plan to join the SCA when the kids get older. That garb, of course, will be more authentic to the period.

All the pics look great. Rosie, I really love yours pics, and that adorable little girl.

I don't seem to have pics of dd and I in our Roman, but that'll change soon because completing my Roman wardrobe is up to #2 on my project list.

So, none of my garb is very good, but it does stay together when I run it through the washing machine, and makes it "pretty good." :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Where does a person get to where Roman garb? - she asks most sincerely.

The first pic is dd in her houpelande.

The second is her in her Norse.

The third is me wearing a surcoat over my Cotehardie of Doom. I hate it and will never wear it again. The surcoat isn't quite right at the hips, but would be easily fixed if I wanted to fix it. But I don't because a surcoat is no good with nothing under it and I hate my Cotehardie of Doom too much.

The fourth outfit might make me look like a Turkish widow, but it's actually a Livonian minus the speccy bling bits. I now have fringe, but the bronze coils will have to wait. I don't know why no one will buy me bronze wire for Christmas. *shakes head sadly*

The last is when the cute little girl from the first photo was a baby :)

Rosie

Zia is so darn cute! :)

I really want to do something that at least looks like I attempted historical accuracy. There's some very beautiful stuff on www.armstreet.com but I have no idea if it's "legit" or not. How do you do your research? I can't imagine there's much actual clothing around from then.

I'm not hugely experienced, but I think some of the stuff from that link looks ok, some looks a bit "inspired." For a Renfaire or the SCA, an "attempt" doesn't have to be much. Take into account that nearly everyone ends up hating their first garb. If you take that as a given, you don't have to feel so bad about it :tongue_smilie:

Research? Well if you're going along to an SCA event, you can borrow loaner gear until you get your own stuff made. When you're there, you can talk to people about their outfits and ask advice. There are mailing lists and books. It depends what you want. That bolded phrase is pretty subjective, really. What sort of garb are you looking for and how are your sewing skills? We'll probably be able to recommend sites/books.

http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/Tunics/TUNICS.HTML shows you how to make a tunic which is the basic item of clothing for everywhere in Europe I can think of other than Rome. Even when frocks got fancier, they wore one of these as an underwear layer. You can leave out the front and back gores, and completely ignore her formula for calculating the size of gussets. As a rough guide, small kids would need a 6cm square, women would use 10cm and men 12cm. Or that's what I've found to work well. If you wear one of these, you will have made a reasonable attempt, even if you haven't finished hemming it :D An underwear layer would be made of white linen. Outer layers can be linen (generally not white, but sometimes it is, as you can see in my earlier link to the Livonian) or wool. Local re-enactors will know where to get the best fabric bargains ;) and will probably sell you fabric from their stashes :D If you can't get linen, you can use cotton or a cotton blend. Try to avoid something that looks completely synthetic. First, it looks synthetic, secondly, it's not so comfy to wear.

To SCA events held in summer :) Many people around here do Roman in summer and something else, Norse is popular, in winter. I know there are Roman re-enactment groups around, because we get a lot of our info from their websites :D

Rosie

Our SCA group does a spring event called Bacchanal, with an ancient Greek/Roman theme. Here's a pic of DD and her friend in their matching Greek garb from 2 years ago:

39434_177713878924326_100000571443295_518762_8317576_n.jpg

Edited by Ravin