Menu

Sad today about the destruction of a historic landmark

Dh works a couple of blocks from there and took pics of the fire on his cell phone on the way to work this morning. This is quite a loss for the Provo community.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=13693318&autostart=y

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/story/UPDATE-Provo-Tabernacle-goes-up-in-flames/tvfssMlZ8kKcxi2DENInDQ.cspx

Provo Tabernacle one of the oldest buildings in the state

December 17th, 2010 @ 11:31am

By Carole Mikita

PROVO -- The Provo Tabernacle was built in 1883 and took 15 years to complete at a cost of $100,000. It is one of the oldest buildings in the state and is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.

The building has octagonal towers at each of its four corners. Originally it featured a central tower 147 feet tall. That was taken down after it was linked to two roof collapses -- one in 1883 and another in 1949.

The organ in the tabernacle was put in place in 1907 after four years of fundraising by wards in the area.

In 1975 the tabernacle was placed on the national register of historic places.

It was rededicated by the church in 1986 by then LDS church President Ezra Taft Benson.

The tabernacle had seating for 3,000 people and was the venue for numerous concerts throughout the year.

The tabernacle has been regularly used for events such as:

• Sunday stake conference meetings for local LDS stakes - sometimes two on the same Sunday (one stake in the morning, one in the afternoon).
  • BYU college convocation sessions at April and August graduations.
  • Community interfaith and patriotic services.
  • Community concerts and performances.

Heartbreaking!!! :( I loved going to the tabernacle for Stake Conference during my BYU days. Do they have any idea what caused the fire? I haven't had time to check out the news stories yet.

I don't think they know yet. It sounds like they've been very focused on getting the fire put out, which has not been easy. The only statement I've found about the cause said that at this point they haven't seen anything suspicious.

I don't think they know yet. It sounds like they've been very focused on getting the fire put out, which has not been easy. The only statement I've found about the cause said that at this point they haven't seen anything suspicious.

I haven't heard a cause yet, either, but someone who was there last night for a concert said she smelled something "like a hot glue gun" but figured it was just from the lights and cameras filming the concert.

It was a beautiful building and had great acoustics. I hope the church rebuilds it.

Just to clarify, in case there is some confusion (from some of the comments I'm not sure...?...) this is a tabernacle in Provo, UT, near the BYU campus. It's not the very famous tabernacle up in Salt Lake that gives its name to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. That one is fine.

If you're referring to my comments, I know which building it is. I attended a number of concerts there during my 10 years in Utah Valley. :D

If you're referring to my comments, I know which building it is. I attended a number of concerts there during my 10 years in Utah Valley. :D

Well, yours about the accoustics and Megan's about the pillars. Those are two of the things that people seem to comment most about regarding the SLC tabernacle. And it does seem that the one in Provo is less well-known outside UT. Anyway, like I said I wasn't sure, but thought I'd offer that clarification just in case. I'm glad it was unnecessary. :)

Well, yours about the accoustics and Megan's about the pillars. Those are two of the things that people seem to comment most about regarding the SLC tabernacle. And it does seem that the one in Provo is less well-known outside UT. Anyway, like I said I wasn't sure, but thought I'd offer that clarification just in case. I'm glad it was unnecessary. :)

I just re-read my previous post and realized it came across a bit short and snippy. Not how I intended it at all! Thanks for your gracious reply. :001_smile:

I can't imagine driving up University Avenue and not seeing the Tabernacle!

I know! We're headed to Provo on Monday and it will be hard to drive up Univ. Ave. I was so sad after I clicked on KSL this morning and saw all the pictures. I haven't been there in several years, but do have quite a few wonderful memories connected to the Provo Tabernacle.