Menu

American history, lit choices - help please

I'm having a hard time deciding what to use for American history for 11th grade, after MOH World History 9th grade, then 'homemade' world geography 10th grade.

I've considered:

Notgrass, like that it's Bible, history, literature; heard there's not much there to dig in to the lit

My Father's World, but I do not want to spread it over two years; I do like some of the books they chose for Biblical studies and their lesson plans, and that Bible, history, lit are included

Bob Jones, not thrilled about textbook approach, see it's used in MFW

Mystery of History, for topics, but would have to add a lot to this

We want to cover American history in one year for 11th grade. Ds will then study government/economics in 12th grade.

What would you suggest? Ds struggles with writing, but he's slowly 'getting there'.

Also if we use a stand alone history what would you suggest for literature?

Thank you!

My Father's World, but I do not want to spread it over two years; I do like some of the books they chose for Biblical studies and their lesson plans, and that Bible, history, lit are included

Bob Jones, not thrilled about textbook approach, see it's used in MFW

Mystery of History, for topics, but would have to add a lot to this

I only know about MFW, and I wanted to mention that during those two years, MFW does two semesters of history and semesters of Gov & Econ, for a total of 4 semesters. If you wanted to rearrange the order, and do both histories one year, you might ask them how do-able that would be alongside the English and Bible.

And if you used BJU with MFW, you wouldn't have to add a lot, I think. They schedule the whole 5-piece BJU set, plus a timeline, plus a couple of other books each semester. And of course the Bible and English are also added for you.

MFW also schedules in geography, especially during year 2 & apparently as an option in year 4 but I haven't seen that.