Menu

Talked to the butcher about my beef...

and it was a little overwhelming. I guess I'm getting my sirloin tip cut into stew meat (round as well), a rump roast (could have done something else with that), a brisket, 3 packs of short ribs, various steaks 1 inch (I think you all said 1 inch was good), the flank steak is going into hamburger, chuck and shoulder roasts and the only way the do hamburger is in 1 1/2 or 2 lb packages. I usually use 1 lb in everything so I got the 1 1/2 lb packs because the lady says she defrosts in the microwave (or I do in the skillet sometimes) and then she refreezes the center that is still frozen. Not sure how good that is, but I could also cook it all and freeze that cooked portion. So..... any mistakes in any of this. They aren't doing it until after xmas so I could call back today and revise. I'm wondering if I'm missing anything with the flank steak but I do want plenty of hamburger.

My 1/2 cow weighs 162.50 before hanging btw. Thanks for all the help!

I always got the flank steaks. We like it on the grill and it was nice to have a different cut of meat to play around with. I like shoulder roast sliced to cut up for chili but not much else.

I always requested lean hamburger or else I got the standard 80/20.

I usually would have some of the burger made up into patties--it was really fast to defrost that way.

and it was a little overwhelming. I guess I'm getting my sirloin tip cut into stew meat (round as well), a rump roast (could have done something else with that), a brisket, 3 packs of short ribs, various steaks 1 inch (I think you all said 1 inch was good), the flank steak is going into hamburger, chuck and shoulder roasts and the only way the do hamburger is in 1 1/2 or 2 lb packages. I usually use 1 lb in everything so I got the 1 1/2 lb packs because the lady says she defrosts in the microwave (or I do in the skillet sometimes) and then she refreezes the center that is still frozen. Not sure how good that is, but I could also cook it all and freeze that cooked portion. So..... any mistakes in any of this. They aren't doing it until after xmas so I could call back today and revise. I'm wondering if I'm missing anything with the flank steak but I do want plenty of hamburger.

I knew I was being taken advantage of. My grower told me that 1/2 cow doesn't come much smaller than 250 pounds. I'm stuck with 291 pounds (hanging weight) of cow.

I ordered it. I'm stuck with almost 300 pounds of beef that my family will never eat in a year. I'm so not doing this again.

I knew I was being taken advantage of. My grower told me that 1/2 cow doesn't come much smaller than 250 pounds. I'm stuck with 291 pounds (hanging weight) of cow.

I ordered it. I'm stuck with almost 300 pounds of beef that my family will never eat in a year. I'm so not doing this again.

I always hoped to do something like this one day, as in when I have a nice size freezer. Can you not freeze it beyond a year? This would not bother me. My Grandma did this all the time. She never finished her 1/4 cow in one year.

DH says that if you are grinding flank steak into hamburger, you have expensive hamburgers. Have the flank steak sliced into strips for fajitas or stir-frying. (If the butcher won't slice it, you can.) He also suggests seeing if the butcher will freeze one of the cheaper roasts and slice it into chip steak. Good for nights when you need meat to cook quickly.

Really? I was told average hanging weight for 1/2 cow is close to 300lbs as well. Are you sure you got a 1/2 and not a 1/4?

BTW, we also use flank steak as is. Grill then slice it for mexican type foods, or slice it raw and cook it in stir fries. It is easier to slice raw if it is still partially frozen.

Really? I was told average hanging weight for 1/2 cow is close to 300lbs as well. Are you sure you got a 1/2 and not a 1/4?

BTW, we also use flank steak as is. Grill then slice it for mexican type foods, or slice it raw and cook it in stir fries. It is easier to slice raw if it is still partially frozen.

Definitely got 1/2. We had ordered from another place before and they offered 1/4 cows. When we went up to half, we asked for one of the smaller ones and it weighed 325 or so (prior to hanging!). I hope it's tender even though it's small.

I already called and changed my flank steak. :-)

Some places butcher older calves instead of full grown cows.

Also, I have gotten the ribs before, but they are really big and take up quite a bit of freezer space. I just went with having it turned into hamburger this time. My parents beef farm and are giving us a 1/4 for the freezer for Christmas. My brother gets the other quarter. I always have it longer than a year in my deep freezer and it's fine. I've got a lot of steak right now and am actually going to cook this up this weekend: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/steak-bites-with-bloody-mary-dipping-sauce-recipe/index.html We use a lot of hamburger, roasts, chucks, steaks and the brisket. It costs more for them to process patties, so I never get patties, I just make them up myself, actually a patty press is on my Christmas list because my old one broke. I used to get a bunch of the different cuts, but I just don't use them so now it's a lot more basic. My mom would make round steak all the time as a kid, but I just don't, so I don't get it cut that way.

I spilt my 1/2 cow with a single guy. I got all the roasts, briskets, and ground beef. He got all the steaks - my kids won't eat steak.

Our grassfed beef is much better than store bought. Maybe next time find someone to split it with.

Found out that mine was about a year old and that is why it's smaller.

it all depends on the breed of cow and the age of the steer when slaughtered. Each farmer has a different timetable of doing things. Some grow them out bigger; some let them get older.

I have eaten meat that was older than a year with no problems. Alot of it depends on how it is packed and wrapped. Ours always comes vacuum packed in heavy plastic. I have yet to eat any that was freezer burnt.

(BTW we grow our own meat here at the farm)

Definitely got 1/2. We had ordered from another place before and they offered 1/4 cows. When we went up to half, we asked for one of the smaller ones and it weighed 325 or so (prior to hanging!). I hope it's tender even though it's small.

I already called and changed my flank steak. :-)

yes it should be very tender. The younger the beef the more tender. Are they grain fed? The grain feeding marbles the meat in a younger steer a bit more so it is juicier.

The partial thawing of hamburger would worry me. I would probably opt for 2lb packages, thaw the full pack and then either use it for two meals in within a few days or cook it all and freeze the prepped meat.

We often freeze precooked beef for tacos or pasta dishes and it is fine.