Menu

When CC really isn't an option...

The closest community college is 45 minutes away. I have 5 kids, and just don't see how I could swing driving DS back and forth... 2-3x a week, he will still be too young to drive himself. There is no public transportation between here and there, either.

What other options should I look into?

Some universities have online college classes for college credit.

My dd has taken US History through Univ of AL.

She had to take a short intro course 1st that emphasized study skills, how to use the online library etc. She had to take this in person, but I believe it's offered online now: UA Early College is the name of the program.

The closest community college is 45 minutes away. I have 5 kids, and just don't see how I could swing driving DS back and forth... 2-3x a week, he will still be too young to drive himself. There is no public transportation between here and there, either.

What other options should I look into?

Many CC's offer online or web based courses. Also they offer once a week courses (usually nights or weekends) so only need to drive one round trip a week.

Our oldest was 18 when she started at the CC.

The next year her sister (no Drivers license yet) rode with her.

This year middle dd got her license just in time for the fall semester to begin... Driving her back and forth was NOT an option... and her older sister was going to a different college in a different direction!

Some online CC classes are good-- depending on instructor support and the ability of you child. My girls did not do well with online courses-- so they commute.

The joys of country life!

I had him do on-line courses through Potters School (10th & 11th grades). He could have gone to the CC in 11th, but given when his birthday is and the fact that the driving age here is 16.5, he wouldn't have been able to drive himself.

He did end up going there and driving himself in 12th grade, and that worked out well.

I hope you find a solution that works for you and your child!

Brenda

Online AP classes?

Do it yourself AP classes?

One thing to keep in mind is that homeschooling students are being moved to the back of the line as enrollment at CC grows. Some of these schools are bursting at the seams with little available to high school students in general. Time to become creative! Are there some interesting projects that your students can do, something which is challenging and could possibly connect your students with outside experts?

Good luck,

Jane

I'd like to second the vote for Pennsylvania Homeschoolers.

The kind of academic rigor you want depends on your kids, of course, but having had kids do history both through PAH and through our local community college, I would vote for the PAH class anytime.

The PAH class involves online discussions, lots of primary source reading, and nearly weekly essays. The text was great. The teacher provided really helpful feedback on the essays. The quantity of primary source reading was great preparation for college!

My ds2 did US History I and US History II at the CC. The textbook used was the "basic" version of the AP textbook. Neither course involved reading any primary source documents. Neither course required any essays other than a token one on each exam. Only one of the two courses required a paper of any kind.

I realize that every CC course is different, but our local CC is considered pretty good, and these history classes were extremely lame compared with the PAH class.

So don't feel that taking online classes is settling for second-best! At least sometimes, the online class provides a far superior education!

At this point my kids have taken a total of 8 AP classes from PAH and numerous other classes from other online providers. There are some truly amazing online teachers!

Sometimes a lack of resources provides the wonderful opportunity for a child to slow down and get a chance to nontraditionally smell a particularly sweet smelling rose growing right in your own back yard.

There is always something wonderfully worthy of our attention in our grasp, but often we are taught to think of it as inferior.