Menu

A Poll for Ebook Readers

How likely would you be to purchase an ebook by a new author for $2.99?  

1. 1. How likely would you be to purchase an ebook by a new author for $2.99?

• Yes! I love ebooks and am always looking for something new to download.
    • Maybe. I read ebooks, but am more selective in my purchasing choices.
    • No. I prefer to only purchase ebooks by my favorite authors.

I have written a book that is currently in editing. Since this is my first attempt at writing, I was kicking around the idea of self-publishing it (and the two followup books) on Amazon in Kindle format for $2.99. My reasoning is so that I can maybe work on generating an online presence. My ultimate goal if I decide to go this route would be to finish this 3-book series, get some writing practice under my belt, and then submit bigger and better, more polished story ideas to a traditional publishing house for my 4th and 5th books. (Yes, I have the ideas already, but want to finish this series first.)

My question now is how likely would you be to purchase a book by an unknown person if you ran across it for $2.99 on the Amazon Kindle page?

If the genre were something I was interested in, and the summary sounded good, I would probably buy it. I can tell you that I'd me more likely to buy an unknown than a well known for 14.99.

I've actually discovered some good authors in my quest for cheap books. in principle, since there are almost no time nor materials involved, I will NOT spend more than $10 on an e-format book. And I'd prefer to keep it under $7. Yeah, I'm cheap!

I would suggest making it free. I am discovering a lot of new authors from the top 100 free page. (They don't stay free forever.) If I like an author enough, then purchasing it at a very low price would be my next step. Once you have me hooked, I'd pay full price!:D

Make sure you let me know what and when you publish so that I can download it!!!

A recommendation from a trusted friend is more important to me than the price. Making it available free for a short time and getting people to read and then comment on it would work better for me.

There is still the same time commitment in creating an ebook as a paper book. The only difference is the price of the materials which really is minimal. I've read too many ebooks where the publisher thought that additional editing was not needed for an ebook, unfortunately. It helps me to know if an ebook has been edited well.

A recommendation from a trusted friend is more important to me than the price. Making it available free for a short time and getting people to read and then comment on it would work better for me.

There is still the same time commitment in creating an ebook as a paper book. The only difference is the price of the materials which really is minimal. I've read too many ebooks where the publisher thought that additional editing was not needed for an ebook, unfortunately. It helps me to know if an ebook has been edited well.

Oh, I have edited, edited, and edited some more. I'm getting some critiques on the first few chapters from people I don't know right now.

I like the idea of putting it up for free for the first month or so. That is a great idea, and when I do put it up, I will for sure post it on here so I can get some more opinions on it.

Oh, I have edited, edited, and edited some more. I'm getting some critiques on the first few chapters from people I don't know right now.

I like the idea of putting it up for free for the first month or so. That is a great idea, and when I do put it up, I will for sure post it on here so I can get some more opinions on it.

:DHooray! I'll be looking forward to it! :party:

I have written a book that is currently in editing. Since this is my first attempt at writing, I was kicking around the idea of self-publishing it (and the two followup books) on Amazon in Kindle format for $2.99. My reasoning is so that I can maybe work on generating an online presence. My ultimate goal if I decide to go this route would be to finish this 3-book series, get some writing practice under my belt, and then submit bigger and better, more polished story ideas to a traditional publishing house for my 4th and 5th books. (Yes, I have the ideas already, but want to finish this series first.)

My question now is how likely would you be to purchase a book by an unknown person if you ran across it for $2.99 on the Amazon Kindle page?

$2.99 falls within my "willing to take a risk" parameters. I would read the description and the reviews to make sure it's a subject I'm interested in reading and if that looks good I'd buy it.

I'm not a Kindle owner, so I didn't answer the poll.

Just in case you weren't aware of this, Kindle books can only be read on certain devices. Those include PCs, Kindles, smart phones, and iPads. Other e-readers, like the Nook, Kobo, Sony's, etc. are not compatible with Amazon's proprietary Kindle format.

A particularly determined and tech-savvy non-Kindle owner who isn't concerned about the legal ramifications could probably strip the file of DRM and get it loaded onto another device. But I'm guessing that most wouldn't go to that trouble for an unfamiliar author.

Yes, with a stipulation...

I don't buy ebooks. There are sooooo many public domain books for free, which is why I bought an ereader in the first place - I didn't want to buy a printed book that is available for free.

ETA - Oops, I answered based on the poll question, not the post. I think the $2.99 price is an excellent idea. To those who regularly pay for ebooks, it is a VERY reasonable price.

Edited by mamalbh

I'm not a Kindle owner, so I didn't answer the poll.

Just in case you weren't aware of this, Kindle books can only be read on certain devices. Those include PCs, Kindles, smart phones, and iPads. Other e-readers, like the Nook, Kobo, Sony's, etc. are not compatible with Amazon's proprietary Kindle format.

A particularly determined and tech-savvy non-Kindle owner who isn't concerned about the legal ramifications could probably strip the file of DRM and get it loaded onto another device. But I'm guessing that most wouldn't go to that trouble for an unfamiliar author.

Thanks for this info! I have done some more research, and I found a place that will publish your ebooks for multiple file formats!