Menu

How Long to Exclusively Breastfeed?

How long did you exclusively breastfeed?  

1. 1. How long did you exclusively breastfeed?

• 3-4 months
    • 5-6 months
    • 7-8 months
    • 9-10 months
    • 11 or more months
    • other

Thanks for all the feedback :001_smile: My DD is almost 4 months and I really wanted to hold off until at least 7-8 months - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy, LOL. I'll just pay attention to her cues and not feel rushed because her pediatrician suggests 6 months . Thanks again!

Other:

6 months

4 months

11 months

7-8 months

It really depended on the child.

I had one who wanted to eat everything I was eating so I gave in and started feeding him other foods at 4 months. This guy is now my foodie/aspiring chef.

I have one who thought that food was yuck and didn't want anything to do with it until I insisted at 11 months. He still has sensory/texture issues with food.

Cat

I was born with non-witches teeth, and he got his young. He also weaned himself at 9 months.

The curiosity is killing me. What are non-witches teeth? I googled, but all I got was this page, Halloween accessories, and something scary about wiccan love-making. (Eeek.)

Mine have been breastmilk only until 5-7 months. I figure when they start wanting to shovel things into their mouths for the purpose of eating, then it's time. They've usually stopped nursing altogether at around 11 months by their own choice. I do all the same things as people who breastfeed for years, without the same results.

As a side note, at the delivery of my son, one of the nurses asked how long I'd breastfed the last time around. "Almost a year," was my response. She suggested that maybe this time I'd make it to two years. Yes, let's chase down an uninterested, or even combative, toddler for a quick nursing session. That's going to be a pleasant bonding experience.

The curiosity is killing me. What are non-witches teeth? I googled, but all I got was this page, Halloween accessories, and something scary about wiccan love-making. (Eeek.)

In some cultures they believe that a baby born with teeth is cursed and/or a witch. I think the pp was just making a play on words when she said "non-witches teeth."

Our middle child was 6 months old before I introduced solids. She took to them right away and loved everything I gave her.

I introduced solids at 6 months to our youngest, but he wasn't interested. He was about 8 months old before he'd take anything other than breastmilk and almost 11 months old before he'd eat more than a bite or two of solids.

Our oldest was breast and formula fed, so I didn't include that info.

In some cultures they believe that a baby born with teeth is cursed and/or a witch. I think the pp was just making a play on words when she said "non-witches teeth."

No, some kids are born with teeth that shed and THEN they grow their baby teeth. I was born with choppers, but they were my baby teeth. That pre-set are nicknamed witches teeth.

No, some kids are born with teeth that shed and THEN they grow their baby teeth. I was born with choppers, but they were my baby teeth. That pre-set are nicknamed witches teeth.

Right, hence your play on words. They are nicknamed witch's teeth (as far as I know) because some cultures believe that a baby born with teeth is cursed or a witch. Do you know of another reason they are called that? I'm genuinely asking, not being snarky or anything. :)

My oldest was a year before she'd eat anything but breastmilk. She never really took to baby food. At a year, she'd eat Cheerios and things she could feed herself. After that she started eating more solids, but she was still breastfed until she was almost 2, and she was very difficult to wean.

My second was breastfed until 15 months and weaned himself. Before that he did eat jarred babyfood, but I can't remember when he started it.

My third was breastfed until 22 months and ate jarred babyfood periodically starting at about 8 or 9 months (if I remember right).

Why is it that I remember the milestones of my first child more clearly than the others? Must have had a lot going on when they were born. :tongue_smilie:

We tried to do some solids at about 6 mos, but the babes weren't interested until about 8 or 9 months so that was as much their choice as mine.

It's crazy how different kids are. At age 6 mos. My breastfed son was eating 2 scrambled eggs and two pieces of toast every morning for breakfast. :lol: He physically grabbed food out of my hand by the time he was 4 mos. He tried to get me to feed him at 3 mos by gaping his little mouth in the direction of my fork. There was no way to stop him from eating! (BTW: he weighed 25 lbs at age 6 mos. He was just like a 2 year old.)

Edited by katemary63

I tried to not give them anything other than breastmilk for at least six months, but when Catherine was five months old, I was fixing lunch for Anna and she was scooting around in her walker. I turned around and she had a strawberry in one hand and an orange slice in the other. She had taken a big bite out of each, and SCREAMED when I tried to take them away. I said, "Well, I guess she's on solid foods now...."

I continued to nurse till 3.5.

ETA: She never took jarred baby foods.

Right, hence your play on words. .

Ah, I didn't think of making a negative as a play on words.

I've only heard about witches teeth on these boards. A quick google gives me nothing, except that a dental site claimed they were milk teeth and are pulled because the roots are generally weak and they are afraid the baby will aspirate them.

Perhaps a mother whose baby with teeth at birth who had them pulled (or they fell out) can comment if milk teeth then DID come in. My mother said I was born with 6, and the dentist told her to leave them be.

Given how anything odd in nature has probably been labeled something witchy at one time or another, the explanation is reasonable.

I remember being unpleasantly pained by kiddo's teeth. He was a gnawer.

I voted 5-6 months for introducing solids. My first two were younger, but for most I would recommend 5-6 months.

ds1 was 4 months(he was very ready and large)

dd1 was 4 months(again very large, and very hungry)

dd2 I waited until 6 months she was not very interested in food, and didn't really start eating much until 7-8 months

ds2 was 5 months and started slow

I had a general idea of 6 months and it was around that time that both babes started reaching out for food. If they werent interested I would have waited longer.

I think 3-4 months is too soon...the gut is not mature enough yet and it is more likely that allergies will develop.

#1-very very ready at 4 months for cereals and baby food. He was a big beast of a babe. Weaned himself shortly after 1st birthday.

#2-Tried very often starting at 5 months, but baby food didn't take until he was about 10 months old. Actual solid food came after his first birthday, which is so funny, because now he'll eat more than double what his big brother does. Was coaxed into weaning because I was pregnant and tired.