Menu

SL, MFW, HOD - which has more classics?

jer2911mom

I haven't used HOD but have used the other 2.

This somewhat depends on your definition of classics, and the age you are talking about. Many classics that I can think of might not be considered appropriate for elementary school. Both programs will include more "classics" in their high school program.

I don't think that either MFW or SL "schedules" a ton of "classics" in their younger years. Both include a few here and there. SL schedules all of their reading, so you can look at the classics they recommend on their website.

However, MFW leaves more opportunity for choice in reading, book basket, and sometimes read-alouds. MFW includes a list of suggested classics by year in the back of their manual, and there are some on their book basket lists as well (e.g. in ECC, you might read Heidi when studying Europe and Anne of Green Gables when studying Canada).

Not sure that was helpful at all!

Julie

Thank you! This is helpful and confirms what I was seeing from looking at their websites. I was surprised when I looked at Sonlight and didn't see as many classics (in the elementary years) as I thought I would (e.g., Little House on the Prairie books, Chronicles of Narnia books, etc. - I may have missed them). I think Sonlight still looks like a very interesting program, but it just got me to thinking about what I might need to supplement in each program. I have borrowed a friend's MFW Adventures book to look through, and I do see the list in the back you referred to. That list would be helpful.

Thanks!

I have borrowed a friend's MFW Adventures book to look through, and I do see the list in the back you referred to. That list would be helpful.

Thanks!

with MFW manual, there's the weekly list by topic which will have a wide variety of selections on topic. But don't forget to look at the final pages of the manual where it lists "classics" in elementary level reading to do for reading time that isn't always history related. (I know Julie already said that, I'm just repeating. sorry)

and in high school with MFW: the package books are classics and then if that's not enough, MFW recommends using the reading list in an SAT prep book by jim stobaugh

maybe the question really isn't who has more.

maybe the question is "do any of these program lack it so much that I have to scramble to click on a link out there to add a few books from library?"

To that, I'd probably say the answer is you'll be fine in any of them.

if the question is

"which one is more doable in my real world to get enough of them done and not be exhausted"

that's up for debate :)

How many classics per year do you want for your students? If all of these programs meet your requirement, it doesn't matter who has more as long as they have adequate.

-crystal

I was surprised when I looked at Sonlight and didn't see as many classics (in the elementary years) as I thought I would (e.g., Little House on the Prairie books, Chronicles of Narnia books, etc. - I may have missed them).

I don't use any of those programs.

I just want to mention how easy it is to add in classics on your own, without coordinating them into the any particular curriculum. My 9yo dd reads a lot of books I would consider classics. I just pick books according to her interests or my whims. :D Some are just read. Sometimes I look for good discussion questions or background info online.

If you choose classics on your own, you could choose which of those other programs appeals to you and your teaching style most. :001_smile:

Thanks for the replies. I am in my first year of homeschooling and what I've learned so far is that if it is scheduled, it get's done. If it's on my "I'd like to do this" mental list, it doesn't happen. I know as I get more comfortable homeschooling, I'll be able to add in/take away/manipulate what we are doing to better suit our goals. But right now, with a two year old to chase, it's much easier to have those checkboxes. I want to hit as many of the classics as we can without it being extra work (library trips/searches, working off a list of classics, etc.). We're doing HOD LHFHG this year, and while I like the Thorton Burgess books, that's all the literature that is scheduled. I'm just not doing a good job of getting us to the library to get more classics. I'm trying to be more intentional, but it's still not what I'd like. It's just not that easy to get out right now. I think having them here and in a schedule would really help. Not just a schedule, but with a comprehension framework of some sort, vocabulary help, etc., especially as my dd gets older. I just need this to be as easy as possible to accomplish, if that makes sense. I'm not sure I've asked the right question, but I'm looking for insight from people who've used two or all of these programs. It sounds like there isn't one that really stands out as using more classics, which has been my impression so far. Thanks!

I just wanted to comment on Sonlight's lists. They have a lot of the older Caldecott, etc. type of classics in the grade school years. Most people describe their lists as just good books they are thrilled to share with their kids. There are a couple of obvious gaps like the Little House books and their explanation that I've heard is that most parents will have read those already. If those are the types of books you like you will probably be impressed with their list over all. They start salting in a few more of the 'great books' in junior high and high school. They never go to the extent that some curriculum does because there philosophy is that most kids don't have the life experience and maturity for some of them.

Thanks for the replies. I am in my first year of homeschooling and what I've learned so far is that if it is scheduled, it get's done. If it's on my "I'd like to do this" mental list, it doesn't happen. I know as I get more comfortable homeschooling, I'll be able to add in/take away/manipulate what we are doing to better suit our goals. But right now, with a two year old to chase, it's much easier to have those checkboxes. I want to hit as many of the classics as we can without it being extra work (library trips/searches, working off a list of classics, etc.). We're doing HOD LHFHG this year, and while I like the Thorton Burgess books, that's all the literature that is scheduled. I'm just not doing a good job of getting us to the library to get more classics. I'm trying to be more intentional, but it's still not what I'd like. It's just not that easy to get out right now. I think having them here and in a schedule would really help. Not just a schedule, but with a comprehension framework of some sort, vocabulary help, etc., especially as my dd gets older. I just need this to be as easy as possible to accomplish, if that makes sense. I'm not sure I've asked the right question, but I'm looking for insight from people who've used two or all of these programs. It sounds like there isn't one that really stands out as using more classics, which has been my impression so far. Thanks!

As for check-off boxes, I hope I didn't mislead you into thinking MFW just leaves you on your own. There is a box for reading every single day, so I just write "chapter 3" or whatever and it gets done.

Still not sure what you are meaning about classics, although you mentioned Thornton Burgess. My ds doesn't like animal books, so I'm glad we had the freedom to choose others. For me, "classics" are longer books with more involved plots and dramatic events, best used in older years.

However, if you're including things like Peter Rabbit, here's the recommended reading list for MFW-K:

http://www.mfwbooks.com/k_read.htm

If you go to the K sample and scroll down to the very bottom of the page, you'll see the kinds of activities that are done with the recommended literature:

http://www.mfwbooks.com/k_sample.htm

Then there are a range of suggestions in the elementary years. As I mentioned, in ECC they suggest books like Heidi while studying Europe and Anne of Green Gables while studying Canada. The grid has a space for reading and for book basket every single day, so you're not likely to just skip it, as that box is staring at you :) In 7th & 8th, MFW suggests studying two books a year in-depth using Progeny Press, which is a more structured study. Here are some of their "classics" suggested: http://www.mfwbooks.com/progenypress/index.htm

My ds is now in 9th, and he's read The Epic of Gilgamesh, Bulfinch's Mythology, The Cat of Bubastes (Henty), and is heading towards the Iliad and Odyssey. Plus there's still a "reading" check box on most days, so he's getting in various other books as well. Oh, and the best "classics" of all -- he's reading the entire Old Testament this year; he's done Genesis to 1 Samuel so far.

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

Julie, thanks for the links! I hadn't noticed the K reading list before when on the MFW site. As far as classics, I pretty much mean the books that I remember from childhood/school and recognize today as good literature (that you would see over and over on various lists of great literature). The ones I saw in the very back of MFW Adventures are also what I consider classics. I recognized a lot of those.

And no, you didn't mislead me on the checkboxes. Thanks for trying to clarify! I saw in Adventures the box for the book basket and the box for reading, so I do know it can be "scheduled". Thanks for your help!