Menu

So, my husband got me a Nook...but...I'm not sure I want it.

My husband surprised me with a Nook this Hanukkah. I hadn't really had much of an interest in getting one... I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything. I thought it was a nice surprise. But, I don't know. I looked at it, I watched the demo thing, I held it a little bit, I downloaded a couple of freebies that I haven't read yet because I was already in the middle of a couple of real books...

...and this thing has been sitting on my desk untouched for the past week or so at least, and the truth is... I just don't really have an interest in it.

I LIKE books. Real books. They feel comfortable in my hands, I like to turn and feel the pages. This feels kind of heavy and awkward and it just feels like something to have to get used to, and I'm not sure I will. I'm not sure I want to.

Does anyone else feel this way about these things? Do I just need to give it more of a chance? I feel bad saying "I don't want this thing" after he surprised me with it. But it also seems wasteful to have it just sitting here not being used. And I'm just not feeling drawn to the thing.

So now what? :P

Does anyone else feel this way about these things? Do I just need to give it more of a chance? I feel bad saying "I don't want this thing" after he surprised me with it. But it also seems wasteful to have it just sitting here not being used. And I'm just not feeling drawn to the thing.

Do you travel much?

My dh surprised me last year with an e-reader. I felt like you and it took me about a month to try it. I still prefer real books. But I love the convenience and portability of it. If we go out of town for a week, I can load 5 new books and 10 old favorites and that's the only reading I pack. I actually keep re-reading favorites on it all of the time. Favorite passages are bookmarked. If the girls have gymnastics, I grab the e-reader. If I can't sleep at 1:00 in the morning, I'll buy a book to read (upside or downside--you be the judge).

I actually just got notification that our library is adding digital books. Woo-hoo! So glad I don't have the kindle.

I still prefer to browse real books. Still prefer to hold real books. But the digital format does have it's uses.

Give it a chance. I bought mine mainly to use for traveling, but have found myself downloading books that are only available in ebook form. It isn't something you need to use all the time, nor does it replace real books. Nothing will ever replace real books in my mind. But it's an alternative.

hmm...no I don't travel much, generally speaking, but I AM going to be taking like a three week vacation in February/March so maybe that will be a good time to use it and get used to it! We'll be driving down to Florida and visiting family in a couple of different locations, and maybe that will be a great time to have this thing since it can store more than one book at once and I won't have to pack several books or worry about having nothing to read when I finish one etc.

Maybe it'll grow on me while we're there lol. We'll see!

Do you have a cover for it? I like the covers because most of them open like a book & I think that makes a difference. I didn't understand why anyone who loved books would get a Nook or a Kindle, but I LOVE my Nook. I wouldn't give up on it until you actually read a book on it. It took me hardly any time at all to get used to it.

Personally, I would ask him if I could return it and spend the money on real books. LOL I think the only benefit is for those who like to bring more than one or two books around with them, particularly if they travel a lot. I rarely read more than 1-2 books at one time, so I don't have any need for that kind of device. I won't say never, but for my life right now, it's a waste.

I felt the same way when my husband surprised me with my Kindle for our anniversary. *He* had an interest and I didn't even remember what a "Kindle" was. We were leaving the next day for a trip to Acapulco. I messed with it that night and put a few books on (especially when I found all the new ones). I really wasn't too into it. I checked out the books, charged it and tried reading it on the plane purely for him. By the end of the trip I wasn't sure if I was more in love with my husband or the Kindle. LOL Just kidding!

We also LOVE books. Real books. Paper. But I realized I'm not unfaithful to my books if I also love my Kindle. Certain books I buy for Kindle and certain books I still buy in paper. I love that I can run errands, go to things with out boys, and travel with over 100 books!

Personally, I would ask him if I could return it and spend the money on real books. LOL I think the only benefit is for those who like to bring more than one or two books around with them, particularly if they travel a lot. I rarely read more than 1-2 books at one time, so I don't have any need for that kind of device. I won't say never, but for my life right now, it's a waste.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, kind of, too. If I'm just going somewhere close to home, I'm going to bring whatever paper book I'm reading (like if I want something to read while the kids play a sport or some such).

I don't travel a lot.

But as I mentioned before, I AM going on vacation for a few weeks this winter. And we do usually go away a couple of times over the summer. So, I don't know, maybe it will be good for things like that, even if I don't just use it all the time for general use.

My husband surprised me with a Nook this Hanukkah. I hadn't really had much of an interest in getting one... I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything. I thought it was a nice surprise. But, I don't know. I looked at it, I watched the demo thing, I held it a little bit, I downloaded a couple of freebies that I haven't read yet because I was already in the middle of a couple of real books...

...and this thing has been sitting on my desk untouched for the past week or so at least, and the truth is... I just don't really have an interest in it.

I LIKE books. Real books. They feel comfortable in my hands, I like to turn and feel the pages. This feels kind of heavy and awkward and it just feels like something to have to get used to, and I'm not sure I will. I'm not sure I want to.

I feel exactly the same way, although I don't own one. My daughter, the voracious reader, just received a Kindle for her birthday. We'll see how she likes it. I am pretty old school, though.....don't want a smart phone because I don't really need all that stuff, etc...

I could have written this last year when Dh got me a kindle. It was so very sweet of him, especially so since I rarely get a gift. I would have had to add that I usually buy books at garage sales and ebay, so buying a book on the kindle is expensive for me. I have gotten to where I like it though. It is never going to be the same as holding a book. I reread books, but I often pick up a book I've read before and just reread favorite passages. That is much harder to do on a kindle.

I think ereaders are great to take on vacation. I've also gotten a few pdf files that I can read on the kindle. I'd never print out a pdf book to read because I have issues with using ink for that, so I love using the kindle for those. At first I only used it because Dh was so proud of himself for getting it, but now I see its benefits.

I love my Nook, for someone who is a bibliophile AND a gadgetaholic it doesn't get much better.

Nothing will ever replace the feel, the smell, the joy of opening a physical book, it isn't meant to recreate the experience I don't think.

I love it because I can have a book RIGHT NOW. I don't live close to a store.

I love it because I can listen to my Gregorian Chants while reading SWB's History of the Medieval World.

I love it because the books are cheaper than a hardback, there are insane amounts of freebies available and all those pdf's for school that I used to print out? Now we can read them without spending a fortune in ink and binders.

I love that I can listen to John Williams superlative soundtrack while reading Harry Potter.

I love that I have 500 of my favorite books and another 200 I haven't read yet in my purse at all times!!!!

I love that it doesn't hurt my hands when my arthritis is bad to hold and read like some of the books I read do.

I have cookbooks and knitting patterns all free pdf's handy on my Nook to prop up on a stand my dh made me and work from.

It may not be for you, but you may be surprised if you give it a chance, how handy it can be.

I felt this way a few years ago when my dh bought me a new iPod. I already had one and just kind of felt like, really? The more I used it, though, I grew to love it and now I don't know what I would do without it.

As for a Nook, I would like one and would probably mostly use it for library books. Hoping you find a good use for it!

I don't think it can be returned after it has been opened. (From their website: Items must be returned in their original condition; shrink-wrapped products must be unopened.) This is also what I was told when I purchased one. If you open the shrink wrap, they will not take it back. Did I solve your problem for you?

I felt the same way a couple years ago when DH gave me a TomTom. I still don't use it tons, but I'm glad to have it.

As far as the nook, maybe you will find a friend to use the lend feature. I just got a nook from my DH, and am happily surprised to find out a good friend just got one too. And although there will still be books I prefer to phhysically own, some on the nook are just fine. I am also enjoying browsing the store which right now with the littles is near impossible IRL. I hope you find a happy solution.

I don't think it can be returned after it has been opened. (From their website: Items must be returned in their original condition; shrink-wrapped products must be unopened.) This is also what I was told when I purchased one. If you open the shrink wrap, they will not take it back. Did I solve your problem for you?

I don't think that's correct. The Nook has a 14 day return policy, but it doesn't say anything about returning it unopened.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/cds2.asp?PID=8121#nook

I don't think that's correct. The Nook has a 14 day return policy, but it doesn't say anything about returning it unopened.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/cds2.asp?PID=8121#nook

Mine is from the same page. Go to the very top, 3rd line down. The man at the counter beside me was trying to return one when I was purchasing mine. The cashier had just finished explaining to me that if I opened the packaging I wouldn't be allowed to return it. Some stores may be more lenient with the policy.

Edited by Lolly

I don't think I'd like holding the reader by itself, but having a leather cover makes a big difference. I don't know about Nook, but Amazon's basic cover has a nice feel and the price is reasonable. Someone here posted a link to a website that sells leather covers. I forget how much they cost--and forgot to bookmark the site:glare:-- but the things they sell are beautiful! There's no way an ereader could ever replace my library, but it's great for some things. I love being able to change the font size at night when I want to read but my eyes are tired. You're probably too young to have that problem, though. :)

I would have had to add that I usually buy books at garage sales and ebay, so buying a book on the kindle is expensive for me.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

And, Meriwether- this is me, too! I get my books from the library most of the time. I pick them up at yard sales, thrift stores, and used book sales. And if I REALLY want to keep a particular book, I'll buy it used on Amazon if it's a 'good price.'

I think the price of these ebooks is more than I'd ever normally spend!

If you have time to give it a try, do. Maybe your kids will like it and you can share. It might be handy to load a few favorite cookbooks on it and use it in the kitchen as a fancy recipe collection! LOL

Can you load magazines on it? If it could someday handle magazine subscriptions I might be sold on it because I do like magazines, but they tend to fall apart at my house! LOL

My inlaws recently gave us their old kindles (they upgraded :001_smile:). I'm still not 100% sure I would have bought one, and, if we had, it would likely have been a nook because of the greater compatibility with other formats. I didn't think I would like it at all because I can't stand to read long pages on the computer and I *love* books. I love the smell, the feel, etc, especially of old books. I read a couple of books on my mil's kindle when we went on vacation and it's fine.

I'm planning to do a lot of putting things that are free onto it---classics, the free ones they periodically offer on Amazon, etc. I was lucky that my mil and I share tastes in reading newer fiction, so she preloaded it with some that she had gotten as well. I'm looking forward to converting some of the homeschool related ebooks into a format that will work with this (my husband says it can be done) as I also don't want to waste toner and paper.

Overall, it will help with our bookcase issue (we already have 19 6-ft bookcases that are overflowing), but it won't ever replace *all* my books. I still need a few to read in the tub (or hot tub or beach if we're on vacation ;)).

Lolly, the way I'm reading it, the shrink wrap bit pretty clearly applies only to books, DVDs, and CDs. There's a separate section dealing with Nook returns.

Most Items

Returns are accepted within 14 days of the date that you received your order. Books, DVDs and CDs (in their original, unopened, shrink-wrapped condition), and Toys & Games . . .

Here's a current thread (started Dec 12) from the nookboards forum regarding the Nook return policy. A B&N employee participated, and someone else called B&N CS to clarify the issue. The consensus is that they DO accept returns of open Nooks. Unfortunately, individual employees and perhaps even whole stores may be misinformed. If a B&N manager is insistent about not accepting returns, I'd be calling the 800#. And I'd probably ask the manager for his/her district manager contact information too.

http://www.nookboards.com/forum/index.php?topic=5299.0

From the thread:

Well it appears that this thread has been hijacked, but I wanted to address the original subject. According to the CS rep that I talked to at the 800#, B&N is still offering a 14 day "Buyers remorse" return period. The purpose of which, is to allow the customer to try out the unit & return it if not thrilled. As long as it's not damaged, you can get a refund.
It is true that they used to have a 10% restocking fee for opened Nooks, but that is not part of the current Nook return policy. Edited by jplain

If you have time to give it a try, do. Maybe your kids will like it and you can share. It might be handy to load a few favorite cookbooks on it and use it in the kitchen as a fancy recipe collection! LOL

Can you load magazines on it? If it could someday handle magazine subscriptions I might be sold on it because I do like magazines, but they tend to fall apart at my house! LOL

Mine is a nook color and it does have magazine subscriptions that are in the exact same layout as in print, without the dead trees and accumulation to annoy DH. Loving this feature so far. Thought you might want to know. :)