Menu

Just for grins, in case anyone cares - state standards

razorbackmama

I'm taking an education class right now, and my textbook gave the link to a list of all the state standards. Many of you may not care (like me;) ), but if anyone does, it might prove for interesting reading or help you figure out a plan of attack if you're stuck sometime.

http://www.educationworld.com/standards/state/index.shtml

(I found that my state has standards in dance. SERIOUSLY??????:001_huh: )

I looked at the ones for Virginia (SOLs) and I really don't think the teacher will be able to know if each one of her students can meet ALL of those objectives. I could probably go through it for my own child but how long would it take to make sure 30 kids can do all of it? And I only looked at kindergarten...

I looked at the ones for Virginia (SOLs) and I really don't think the teacher will be able to know if each one of her students can meet ALL of those objectives. I could probably go through it for my own child but how long would it take to make sure 30 kids can do all of it? And I only looked at kindergarten...

I hear ya! Although I guess that's what The Almighty Test is for, right?:tongue_smilie:

Thanks, I do like looking at these, but my state's standards are so amorphous and wishy-washy that they really don't *say* anything. I could justify high school proficiency to my middle schooler in reading through their guidelines.... What I'd like to see is a hard and fast list of minimum requirements or knowledge for each grade level....

Thanks, I do like looking at these, but my state's standards are so amorphous and wishy-washy that they really don't *say* anything. I could justify high school proficiency to my middle schooler in reading through their guidelines.... What I'd like to see is a hard and fast list of minimum requirements or knowledge for each grade level....

Yeah, that's one thing my textbook said, that some state's standards are INCREDIBLY vague.:glare:

You might check out http://www.coreknowledge.org/mimik/mimik_uploads/documents/480/CKFSequence_Rev.pdf for some more specifics. They do only go up to 8th grade though.

As a teacher-in-training I am pretty familiar with my state standards (California) and to me they're just confusing, the way they jump from subject to subject, not to mention the strange expectations. For example, under Social Studies for 2nd grade, students are supposed to "discuss and be able to "explain governmental institutions and practices in the United States and other countries" which includes describing "ways in which groups and nations interact with one another to try to resolve problems in such areas as trade, cultural contacts, treaties, diplomacy, and military force." Um, yeah.

My favorite, when I was looking at the CA kinder standards, was the requirement that children be able to "Travel within a large group, without bumping into others or falling, while using locomotor skills." Hah! I love imagining the teachers testing for that.

:)

:lol::lol::lol:

Generally, the teachers are given or choose curriculum that is aligned with the standards. That is more their purpose.

As far as knowing whether the students are meeting the standards: That is a controversial issue for some teachers/unions. The teachers don't want to learn to take data during lessons to keep up with each student's progress. If they don't, though, it is difficult to know how to meet each child where they are at educationally. But, yes, a teacher can track each student's progress. it just takes training and a commitment to do it.

Guest Dulcimeramy

My state has a goal of producing 5yo experts and virtuosos in song, art, and dance, but the standards for 5th grade science can be summed up in four or five sentences.

(I studied our state's standards recently, wondering how our district's choice to go with Everyday Math lines up with current standards. Easy-peasy, they wrote separate standards for EM schools.)