Menu

How wrong is it to sneak snacks into movie theaters?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm following a long family tradition of bringing a big purse to the movies. :001_smile:

My reasons are:

tradition

vegan family

too expensive

At least I don't make the family sneak in, like my dad used to. FIL still does it! He says if he gets caught he'll act "old and confused" :tongue_smilie:

I'm following a long family tradition of bringing a big purse to the movies. :001_smile:

My reasons are:

tradition

vegan family

too expensive

At least I don't make the family sneak in, like my dad used to. FIL still does it! He says if he gets caught he'll act "old and confused" :tongue_smilie:

I am literally laughing out loud at this:lol::lol:

I don't know if it's correct, but I read somewhere that an individual theatre's profits come mostly from concessions. That the studios mostly profit from ticket sales.

I don't sneak, because I don't think its right. If it was right, you wouldn't have to sneak. We eat before we go and then share a popcorn and a drink. My kids are still young enough that I don't want them guzzling beverages, anyway.

Okay, I'm weird. I might bring them if it was just my husband & I. However, I definitely would not bring them if the kids were with me. I know it's wrong & if I choose to do that, then the consequences fall on me (or guilt - lack there of, etc). However, if I do it with the children, I am teaching them that wrong is okay. That as long as it isn't a big right/wrong deal, no harm no foul. It's lowering the moral compass imho.

Anyway, I know that may sound weird.

Susan

I've snuck snacks into movie theaters in the past. Half the time what I brought in was something they didn't even sell. I haven't snuck anything into a movie theater in a while though. Instead, I buy the overpriced popcorn and drinks. Sneaking stuff in requires coordination and effort! I'm not sure how "wrong" it is to sneak stuff in. It is against their rules, yes, but the stuff is also outrageously overpriced. And what happens if they catch you, anyway? Has anyone ever been caught sneaking stuff in and if so what happened?

We hardly ever go to the movies because it's so expensive, but I have taken snacks in before, and I don't feel bad about it. I never make it a point to sneak it in. I just put it in my purse, which is the size of a small suitcase anyway, and then the kids eat it in their seats. I don't think it's a big deal.

We usually splurge on popcorn & a drink (or two)..., but they don't usually have anything else I like, so I may just pack my own Red Vines or Mike & Ikes.

When we take the kids, we *always* buy the snacks (if we're going to have them there). They share. We include it in our budget.

That said, the last movie I went to was Star Trek (the new one), at least a year ago.

The last movie my dh saw was Toy Story 3, it was my 4yo's birthday treat. She is the *only* child who got to go that day (kind of a tradition for a child's 4th birthday, to go to a movie alone, with dad).

And what happens if they catch you, anyway? Has anyone ever been caught sneaking stuff in and if so what happened?

LOL. no, I don't think there's a time for that crime:lol: Our theaters have signs that say largely, "No outside drink or food permitted". For me, my kids can read that & see I'm not following those rules. Even if it's overpriced, my kids will hear me justifying why it's okay to do what we did...that sneaking is alright in certain situations. It just feels like a lesson that's not worth it. I also feel music and dvd's are overpriced, but we don't pirate music. ykwim??

Susan

I don't know if it's correct, but I read somewhere that an individual theatre's profits come mostly from concessions. That the studios mostly profit from ticket sales.

I don't sneak, because I don't think its right. If it was right, you wouldn't have to sneak. We eat before we go and then share a popcorn and a drink. My kids are still young enough that I don't want them guzzling beverages, anyway.

:iagree: Part of the business of the theatre is the concessions. Sneaking in food is not only against the rules, it's tacky. IMO, it's like bringing your own drinks to a bar. I think if you aren't going to buy their snacks, then just don't have any snacks during the movie. You don't *have to* eat while watching a movie anyway, and drinking will just make you have to go pee and miss part of the movie.

If it's such a big issue, then wait until the DVD comes out, rent that and eat and drink whatever the heck you want while watching it.

Edited by Audrey

Now I'm remembering the time my husband and I snuck garlic mole chicken (vegan) fried tacos wrapped in tin foil. We went to see an action flick but there were no good seats, we wound up in What Dreams May Come. It was a quiet and sad movie. We kept trying to time the crunching with loud noises... it was so funny. The girl next to me looked like she wanted to kill me!! :lol: I just wanted to turn to her and say, "I'm sorry.. I'm Mexican.." :lol::lol: Head down in shame. I would never do that again!

No, I do not 'sneak' snacks into the movie theatre. There are signs posted asking customers not to. It's not like you can just walk in with the snacks out. You have to tuck them inside your bag or pocket or whatever because you know that you aren't supposed to bring them in. I don't know how I'd explain that one to the kids.

I don't sneak snacks in, for a variety of reasons.

While I am trying to teach my daughter to think for herself, (and sometimes that means not following arbitrary rules just because they are there), I don't think this is a ridiculous rule. Movie theaters are a business, and need to make money somehow.

Besides, we only go to the movies once or twice a year, and half the fun is the buttery, unhealthy popcorn, the cheesy gooey nachos, the huge vat of soda, and yummy chocolate candy. (Yes... we go all out. :D We eat healthy most of the time.... one or two nights a year of unhealthiness won't hurt. lol)

I do it now - sliced apples and clementines, healthy stuff they don't sell. My kids can not handle the junk; my son actually vomited after eating the popcorn.

When I was a kid we snuck food in. I remember putting popcorn that had been popped at home inside my hat. It was one of those knitted tobbagon hats -too silly.

We don't sneak food in because it's against the rules. If I'm going to take the kids to a movie, I know it will cost us because of the snacks, so I plan for it.

Dh and I went to see the new HP on opening night and I was amazed at what I saw people bring in. I saw one guy with a can of pop, another of his buddies had a bottle of pop and another had a 40oz beer. 3 people in front of us all brought in buritos the size of footballs from Moe's.

I just started going to the movies again now that my kids are getting bigger. I took the 4 kids and I to the afternoon matinee which is cheaper. I spent 57.00 in tickets alone! I'm not going to the theater again, lol. I'd rather get it once it comes out for 20 bucks and have access to my pantry! Oh and the kids can go to the bathroom all they want... at the last movie we tried they went 4 times.

ROFL

We don't sneak in snacks.

When we lived in the US, the price of tickets just to see the movie was outrageous and we couldn't afford snacks and a movie, so we would see the movie and go out for ice cream after.

Now that we live in Central America, I'm here to tell you that movie going is a pure pleasure! The theaters are amazing, state of the art, clean, comfortable, and cheap. Tickets are $2 per person all the time so we can buy snacks. They also have something called VIP seating and you sit in leather recliners and have waiters to bring you food and wait on you during the movie. It's awesome--that costs $6 per person plus the food (not snacks, actual food).

We all went to a movie in the US last summer when we were visiting and we were all disappointed. Just not the great experience we have here.

We hardly ever go to the movies because it's so expensive, but I have taken snacks in before, and I don't feel bad about it. I never make it a point to sneak it in. I just put it in my purse, which is the size of a small suitcase anyway, and then the kids eat it in their seats. I don't think it's a big deal.

:iagree: I think we go to the theater once a year. Like Nakia said, I just have it in mind that I'm going to bring a snack (water, M&Ms or some other chocolate) and that's it. If it were up to me, we wouldn't go to the theater at all, but hubby likes to go as a treat and he will also treat the kids to something at the concession stand.

Now, when I took ds8 to a minor league baseball game this yr I didn't bring any snacks from home b/c I knew they search your bags when you come in. I saw folks faced with the choice of throwing out their home-brought snacks or eating them right there at the gate (and gave a grateful sigh of relief to myself for saving up to buy overpriced stuff at the concessions, lol!)

Edited by Vanna
added in the baseball stadium account

As a teen, sneaking in snacks was part of our rebellion.

As an adult... I'd rather not sneak in snacks. The kids and I went to 2 free movies this summer. At the first one I had every intention of buying some bottled water and a snack of some sort to share. At $3 per bottle, I said NO WAY. I don't think they sell any snacks my youngest can eat, so I did bring some pretzels for her. At the second movie, I brought a few pretzels for each of them.

For us, the movie is 30 mins away, so they do need a snack at some point, either in the car or in the theatre.

:iagree:

I've heard this. The theaters have to pay extremely high prices to rent (or is it lease?) each movie, especially the first run movies. That's why the theaters that run older releases can charge less for movies (and snacks). People have no idea how much it costs to run a business like that.

You can justify sneaking snacks in all you want, but if it's against the rules, it's against the rules. Kind of like pirating movies....I know people that do this because it's easy to get away with and they don't want to pay the high prices. But they just won't admit it's a bad thing to do. Hey, go ahead and do it, but don't act like what you're doing is not illegal.

The prices they charge for their snacks and drinks is what's "wrong" here. What a rip off. Yes, I absolutely "sneak" my own stuff into the theaters! If they'd charge a more reasonable price, I wouldn't have to. :P

ETA: Sometimes we do buy popcorn. But I'm not paying for the ridiculously overpriced drinks or the candy; I'll bring candy and a couple bottles of water from home in my purse.

Edited by NanceXToo

We only go to the movies a few times year and only for those movies we want to experience on the big screen like Avatar or Harry Potter. We don't sneak snacks and we don't change theaters after. I can't tell you how many families I know think that's okay. No matter how many times I explain that's stealing, they just don't buy it. I finally had to have my son stop going with another family because I feel so adamant about it. One ticket = one movie. Humph. :tongue_smilie:

You can justify sneaking snacks in all you want, but if it's against the rules, it's against the rules. Kind of like pirating movies....I know people that do this because it's easy to get away with and they don't want to pay the high prices. But they just won't admit it's a bad thing to do. Hey, go ahead and do it, but don't act like what you're doing is not illegal.

Not the same thing. Violating an individual theater's policy that patrons not bring in outside food or drink is not illegal. Pirating movies is.

I don't think our theaters have the "no food or drink allowed" signs. We go very rarely as it's a small fortune just to buy tickets, but the few times we've gone (or the couple times my mom has taken my boys), we take our own food. Then again, the only thing any of us would be allowed to have at the theater would be a bottle of water - we are gluten free, dairy free, and free of all artificial ingredients, so there goes all candy and popcorn. Granted, there's no "need" to eat during a movie, but it is nice having something to snack on while watching the movie.

I will sometimes bring candy in my bag, and I usually have a bottle of water in there (that is not deliberate,but a habit). When we go to the movies we buy drinks (icees or soda) and popcorn, candy is iffier. They do not sell Twizzlers at the movie and red vines are NOT the same. Its bad enough i have to put up with coke and coke product (with only one on caffinated choice) instead of the pepsi I really want:tongue_smilie:.

Typically, we buy one soda for dh because he likes the fountain soda. If we have the kids with us, we will buy a large popcorn. I do bring their reusable water bottles. I see absolutely NO REASON to pay $3 for water. And... I will admit... my ideal winter movie includes a Starbucks Venti Hot Chocolate with Hazelnut. If they had a Starbucks in the theater, I would happily buy it from them. Since they don't, I bring it in with me. Never had anyone say anything about it.

I don't get fussed if others do it, but unless you count when I used to bring cheerios for the babes when we did the mommy matinees when they were tiny, then I don't.

However, I DO sneak in water. Honestly, I sneak water into all kinds of places. I know it's against policy some places, but I do no drink soda (I genuinely dislike it) and I find bottled water to be one of the most terrible things we're doing to our environment. I'm not usually a huge environmentalist, but bottled water is something that just seems so absurd. I avoid it whenever I can and I cart my own bottle with me whenever possible. I guess at the movie theater I could dump it out and fill it at the water fountain, but that's just silly.

Not the same thing. Violating an individual theater's policy that patrons not bring in outside food or drink is not illegal. Pirating movies is.

I didn't mean that sneaking food is illegal, I meant that the attitude of people that do it is often the same as people who pirate movies. The sense of entitlement is the same.

I don't think it's necessarily right for theaters to make no outside food a rule. They sell food and therefore can't ban all food, but their main business is not the sale of food like a restaurant's and therefore you are not taking up seats that would be making them money on the sale of food.

We don't do movies often, but when we do we take full advantage of their deals in order to have their snacks and not resort to sneaking.

For example, the last time we went to a movie (How to train your dragon), we brought dd's empty Easter bucket and 2 empty drink cups. We did not hide it in any way, and the attendants saw that the drink cups were empty. Our theater does free refills on large drinks and large popcorns. So I bought a large of each. I dumped the popcorn into the bucket and had it refilled. I did this at the counter. I did the same with the drink. Tacky? Absolutely! But we operated within their rules and I was frugal :D.

:iagree: Part of the business of the theatre is the concessions. Sneaking in food is not only against the rules, it's tacky. IMO, it's like bringing your own drinks to a bar. I think if you aren't going to buy their snacks, then just don't have any snacks during the movie. You don't *have to* eat while watching a movie anyway, and drinking will just make you have to go pee and miss part of the movie.

If it's such a big issue, then wait until the DVD comes out, rent that and eat and drink whatever the heck you want while watching it.

:iagree: We either budget for snacks or do without. I love munching on popcorn during a movie, but seriously no one is going to die if you have to go without for two hours.

I don't sneak snacks in, for a variety of reasons.

While I am trying to teach my daughter to think for herself, (and sometimes that means not following arbitrary rules just because they are there), I don't think this is a ridiculous rule. Movie theaters are a business, and need to make money somehow.

Besides, we only go to the movies once or twice a year, and half the fun is the buttery, unhealthy popcorn, the cheesy gooey nachos, the huge vat of soda, and yummy chocolate candy. (Yes... we go all out. :D We eat healthy most of the time.... one or two nights a year of unhealthiness won't hurt. lol)

:iagree: We got about 4-6 x/year and just budget for snacks.

We do not often attend - too costly - but if I do take SillyAutismBoy and/or the others to the latest Harry Potter or Pixar flick, I take gallon sized plastic bags. I order the large, refillable popcorn and a small soda (one only, for SAB). SAB will much his way halfway through he popcorn before the movie even starts. I pour the rest of the popcorn into the plastic bags (one per kid) and get it refilled at least once before the film starts. If I have all four kids with me I may refill it twice. Hey, if they did not want it refilled they would not sell the bucket to me for $5 in the first place! I know we are not eating nearly $5 worth of popcorn!!!

I might add, we only go to the theater that has the refillable buckets. One local theater stopped selling them. Since SAB is fixated on having popcorn at the theater, I need to go where I can get enough of it as cheap as possible.

:iagree:

I've heard this. The theaters have to pay extremely high prices to rent (or is it lease?) each movie, especially the first run movies. That's why the theaters that run older releases can charge less for movies (and snacks). People have no idea how much it costs to run a business like that.

:iagree: Figure it in to the price of a night out or don't go.

I have a belief that we should treat others the way we would like to be treated, this includes the businesses I choose to frequent. If that business has a no outside food or drink policy I would respect that. I have a made a choice to go there, I should respect the rules or choose to go some where else. I also want my daughter to know that sneaking is not an option, in our dealings with all people we will be respectful and honest.

Going to a movie is a big treat for our family (2-3x per year) and it is planned for a drink and a popcorn each or the x-lg tub with free refills. My DD knows this is what is planned and doesn't ask for more.