Menu

Nook vs. Ipad vs. Kindle for H'schooling

I was given an iPad, which I love. But I also wanted a dedicated e-reader with an e-ink screen, because the iPad's LCD does strain my eyes. Despite eyestrain, I don't regret having the iPad, because it is a fantastic PDF reader, especially for PDFs with color. And it is just so darn fun to play with too! However, if I wasn't using a lot of PDFs, color documents, or apps, the iPad would have been hard to justify.

For e-readers, I considered Kindle 3 (screen is 6" on the diagonal), B&N's Nook (6" screen), various Sony models (5", 6", or 7" screens), and Borders' Kobo (6" screen). I didn't consider the Nook Color because it would be redundant with my iPad and doesn't have an e-ink screen.

I wanted the ability to put library books on my e-reader, so the Kindle was out. Amazon's unwillingness to play nice with Overdrive is a deal breaker for me. I also wanted the newer Pearl screen technology, so that ruled out Nook and Kobo, which as newer e-readers are still playing catch-up. Sony's touch screens were also appealing, but touch screens aren't yet available for the Kobo or non-color Nook. I was willing to pay a premium to get the e-ink screen I wanted with the ability to download books from Overdrive.

So I went with a Sony Reader Daily Edition (PRS-950), and I'm thrilled with it. :D

I'm sure I'd have been just as happy with the less expensive Sony PRS-350 or PRS-650, but I had gift certs burning a hole in my pocket, so I splurged on the 950 for its larger (7") screen. Because it doesn't have a keyboard, the PRS-950 is the same size as a Kindle 2, and just a tiny bit bigger than the Kindle 3. So while it isn't as compact as the PRS-350 or PRS-650, I don't find it to be too bulky.

Edited by jplain

I finally had a chance to sit down and watch this tonight. I thought the video was helpful, but pretty limited. It's unfortunate that the main comparison was between the Kindle and the iPad because they're such different devices. It's also unfortunate that the Sony readers were completely left out, although they'd probably have been mostly ignored like the Nook was. It's worth mentioning that Sony readers do reflow text in PDF files and you do not need a large screen reader to handle text from a PDF file. They can't handle the formatting on a math book, for example, but if your PDF files are mostly lines of text, then the Sony readers are a much cheaper option than an iPad or a Kindle DX or any of the other large screen devices.

I also thought it should have been made clearer how much more expensive an iPad is. If you want internet access everywhere, your base price on a 3G 16GB iPad is $629 and that doesn't include service fees which are at least $30/month. That makes an iPad nearly a $1000 investment in the first year if you need the 3G. Not cheap, even if it is the coolest thing ever (and it is). Of course, the wi-fi versions work great for the internet if you have wi-fi access and that's a much more reasonable option at just $500.

I also thought there could have been more discussion of the differences between eInk and the iPad's LCD screen. Some people are equally happy reading on either (and since this was a discussion about ereaders, which the iPad isn't, that matters), but many people don't like extended reading on an LCD screen. They are significantly different.

I know I go on and on about ereaders all the time here, but they're not cheap and it's worth getting lots of opinions about them.

Thanks for posting this!

I've been thinking about getting an e-reader of some sort. My kids and I wandered into the Apple Store yesterday. Within 30 seconds, they each had an iPad in their hands. I let them play for a bit, but finally had to drag all three of them away.

I'm trying to make sure we would use it for more than just playing around. I have a few books in PDF form that I would love to be able to carry around and read. Would I be able to make notes on those, too, right on the iPad?

If I get the cheapest one out there, is that enough room for a lot of books and apps? Will I be able to plug it into my computer and download things, too? Is it worth it to save up a bit more, and get the iPad with the largest memory, that has Wi-Fi? We have a "thing" in our house that gives us WiFi in our house, so a WiFi iPad would be used here, easily.

Thanks for the info on the Sony Readers, too.

One thing he doesn't bring up is that you can check out library e-books with the Nook, but not with the Kindle. I think that's an important consideration for use with homeschooling.

DH is getting an iPad for Christmas (from his parents, not me), and is having a hard time understanding why I still want a Nook. I love the iPad, but also want a device for just reading. Also, I believe that he will soon discover all the reasons he needs to take the iPad with him, and I wouldn't be able to continue reading that book I had started on the iPad. :)

One thing he doesn't bring up is that you can check out library e-books with the Nook, but not with the Kindle. I think that's an important consideration for use with homeschooling.

DH is getting an iPad for Christmas (from his parents, not me), and is having a hard time understanding why I still want a Nook. I love the iPad, but also want a device for just reading. Also, I believe that he will soon discover all the reasons he needs to take the iPad with him, and I wouldn't be able to continue reading that book I had started on the iPad. :)

hmmmm, over on the Kindle board I am under the impression that the Kindle can do library books, just have to be mobi files. If your library doesn't have it then you can get them from other libraries that do.

hmmmm, over on the Kindle board I am under the impression that the Kindle can do library books, just have to be mobi files.

You can, but you have to modify the file using a script called Kindlefix. Some argue that this violates the licensing agreement. It probably does, as you are modifying the file without obtaining the owner's permission, but I doubt it will ever be considered lawsuit-worthy because it doesn't involve circumventing DRM.

I chose not to buy a Kindle and modify Mobi files for 2 reasons: (1) the inconvenience of the added step and (2) the lack of availability.

Most libraries are moving away from Mobi files in their e-book collections, and choosing ePub and/or PDF instead. The library I have access to is no longer adding new Mobi files. However, there are some libraries that still have plenty of Mobi files in their Overdrive collections. So before buying a Kindle with the intention of reading borrowed e-books on it, be sure to browse your library's Mobi format e-books to see whether they've got anything of interest.

If your library doesn't have it then you can get them from other libraries that do.

To do this you need to get a valid library card to another library that carries them. Here's some information on doing this: EBook Lending Libraries.

Edited by jplain

I'm trying to make sure we would use it for more than just playing around. I have a few books in PDF form that I would love to be able to carry around and read. Would I be able to make notes on those, too, right on the iPad?

If I get the cheapest one out there, is that enough room for a lot of books and apps? Will I be able to plug it into my computer and download things, too? Is it worth it to save up a bit more, and get the iPad with the largest memory, that has Wi-Fi? We have a "thing" in our house that gives us WiFi in our house, so a WiFi iPad would be used here, easily.

Thanks for the info on the Sony Readers, too.

Yes, you can takes notes on the iPad. We use the goodreader app for that. You can do it on the Sony readers too, and I prefer taking notes on their screens because they aren't so slippery.

We have the cheapest iPad and it works for us. More space would be nice, but it's not difficult to transfer stuff from another source. You can't download using your computer's Internet connection. You have to use a WiFi or 3G connection.

We love our iPad and use it all the time. But it could never replace our eInk devices. We use them all the time too. An iPad isn't really an ereader, any more than your laptop is. You can read books on both, but that's usually not why you buy them, unless you specifically need something that displays color.