Menu

What is your biggest challenge in teaching your bright children?

TKDmom

I just wanted to pop in again and say thank you to everyone who has shared. I've been reading all the replies, and it's always nice to get a better perspective on my own dc when I see that everyone else is dealing with similar (or even not-so-similar) issues.

So I guess what I am really trying to say do you really think you can change the way a gifted person thinks or their actions? I mean as dd matured she did get less worked up if something did not trun out perfect, but we could never get her to slow down that is just how she is wired.

I meant to respond to this last week when I first read it. You're probably right, that we can't impose change on another persons thoughts, or even many of their actions.

However, I would like to be able to influence some of the unhealthy thought patterns. I think over the long haul, you can influence them. I know my dh does this with me. I have started verbalizing some of my more ridiculous perfectionistic thoughts to him so that he can laugh (in a nice way) at me and help me to have more realistic expectations.

I'd also like to be able to change some of the ways that my gifted dc and I interact. I think kinder, gentler, encouraging interactions can go a long way to helping dc achieve their best selves. I know I had some great teachers in high school who made their classes a safe place for going out on a limb and expressing ourselves. And that freedom to be myself helped me to actually put some effort into my schoolwork and to do well. Before that, I would simply skip assignments that I knew I wouldn't do well at for fear of failing.