Menu

Beware of 4 star ratings if buying from Abebooks

Ok, I just had my first bad experience buying a used book from Abebooks. It was to be a Christmas present for my son and was ordered a week ago. Today, that order just got canceled by the seller saying he had accepted the order "in error." Nevermind that a search just showed him selling the same book on Amazon for more $$... AND, of course, it took him 6 days to let me know he wasn't going to honor the deal making it much harder to order the book now and get it by Christmas. I did reorder though - from a different seller, of course. He's on my "will never buy from" list. I'll share his id via pm if anyone wants it. He's from IL and appears to have quite a list of books he sells - IF the price is right I suppose.

I'm frustrated AND found out I can't leave feedback on Abebooks. However, this seller's star rating was just a "4" out of 5 meaning he has a rather low completion rate (the only thing they give feedback on apparently).

I will never buy from anyone on there without a 5 star rating again. Lesson learned at my son's expense.

End of vent.

It's not just on Abebooks that this happens. I've had it happen to me twice recently on Amazon. :angry: It's particularly frustrating when it's not a spur of the moment thing.

If it doesn't arrive until after Christmas, your son will perhaps love having a 2nd shot at Christmas Day?

This seller has quite a few books listed on Amazon too... most at low prices, but who knows how many of those prices he will honor?

Fortunately, this wasn't my son's only Christmas book. By buying used we were able to get him a couple he should like and OTHER sellers had no problems honoring their deals. I looked up their ratings. All of them had 5 stars. I'll know to look at ratings in the future as they can certainly make a difference.

I'm not quite sure WHY this seller NEEDS to get an extra $2-$3 from a used book. If it were $20 - $30 I might understand it better, but for a couple of bucks he canceled an order to list it higher? It seems absurd - totally unreal.

I would have understood if he'd replied promptly to let me know the book sold via another site or in person assuming he'd let me know within a day or two of the order. But, instead, it took him 6 days to let me know he was canceling the order - then to see it listed at a higher price - same description/condition and all.

I wish there were a way to let the world know certain sellers need to be out of business!

Just noted a google search shows he's on Amazon's bad seller list and e-bay feedback shows he's done this a few times in the past 6 months, though his overall rating is something like 97% there. Volume helps I guess.

I wonder if he actually has the books he's listing or if he's a rebuyer (person who takes an order, then tries to locate the book and have it shipped to you)? I know there's a company in MD that does this. I try to avoid rebuyers when I can. With it taking 6 days to cancel the order it seems very suspicious.

This seller has quite a few books listed on Amazon too... most at low prices, but who knows how many of those prices he will honor?

Fortunately, this wasn't my son's only Christmas book. By buying used we were able to get him a couple he should like and OTHER sellers had no problems honoring their deals. I looked up their ratings. All of them had 5 stars. I'll know to look at ratings in the future as they can certainly make a difference.

I'm not quite sure WHY this seller NEEDS to get an extra $2-$3 from a used book. If it were $20 - $30 I might understand it better, but for a couple of bucks he canceled an order to list it higher? It seems absurd - totally unreal.

I would have understood if he'd replied promptly to let me know the book sold via another site or in person assuming he'd let me know within a day or two of the order. But, instead, it took him 6 days to let me know he was canceling the order - then to see it listed at a higher price - same description/condition and all.

I wish there were a way to let the world know certain sellers need to be out of business!

Are you sure it's the same book, meaning the same exact copy of the book? Perhaps the lower-priced one sold to someone else at the same time you ordered it, and the higher-priced one was a different copy in slightly better condition?

FWIW, I have made a LOT of purchases on abebooks (probably >20) over the last six months, and only two of them have been cancelled. One of those two got sent to me anyway. :confused: I think in that case there was some mistake. What was irritating is that I then ordered another one, and I ended up with two.

Are you sure it's the same book, meaning the same exact copy of the book? Perhaps the lower-priced one sold to someone else at the same time you ordered it, and the higher-priced one was a different copy in slightly better condition?

FWIW, I have made a LOT of purchases on abebooks (probably >20) over the last six months, and only two of them have been cancelled. One of those two got sent to me anyway. :confused: I think in that case there was some mistake. What was irritating is that I then ordered another one, and I ended up with two.

The book has the exact same description and condition. If it's not the same, there's no reason why he couldn't have sent me the "second" book if he was willing to sell the similar one for the price I was supposed to have paid. We're not talking about a huge amount of $$ difference.

I like Abebooks a lot, I just plan to be far more careful who I buy from. I'm a bit disappointed now that they don't have feedback, but I won't stop using them. I have just added this particular seller (and any others with less than 5 stars) onto my "NEVER BUY FROM" list. There's only one other on there and that's because they shipped by dogsled or something (took a LONG time to get a book - like a month). Usually I have great experiences buying used - and save a ton of money.

I wish there were a way to block a seller's books from appearing.