Menu

Slightly embarrassing Christmas present question

So, we're generally broke (seriously). Dh's parents sent us a check to cover presents for the entire family, $200. So that's the budget--we can't add any $. Kids are 5, 3, and newborn. I was planning on getting the girls the IKEA wooden kitchen ($138), the baby would be happy with a rattle, lol, and dh and I would get like $20. Or I could get one of those plastic kitchens used locally for about $30 :blush5: and have more to spread around. (The girls also will be getting a couple other things I got before our income was halved--microscope and some IKEA wooden train stuff.) They don't really need more stuff. I might even just get HSing stuff and a bunch of yarn for knitting clothing items for everyone if I had extra :blushing:. Or I could get the IKEA kitchen. What do you think?

I'd get a used plastic kitchen and use the rest of the money for other needs. I got a used plastic kitchen off of Craig's list For a Christmas present when my dd was younger and she loved it and got lots of use out of it.

:iagree: Me three. Our kids have been pleased with used items as Christmas gifts.

First, whatever you do will be fine. Don't add any extra pressure!

Second, you sound like you really want the Ikea kitchen for your girls. If that's the case, I totally understand, & I think that's fine. If it helps you feel better about it, you might see if you can find it (or something similar enough) used on Craig's List or a thrift shop or something. We got the retro pink kitchen this way a couple of years ago, & although our girls love it, I think it makes ME happier than anyone! LOL

(We had an adorable really cheap plastic kitchen w/ nothing wrong w/ it, so I felt completely silly, but it was a great deal. Afterwards, our older dd, who barely played kitchen, said that the best thing about it was that it was big enough for TWO people to use at the same time. Now she plays kitchen! And the younger dd has ended up LOVING kitchen stuff. And the really odd thing? The baby has turned into a toddler who loves nothing better than to go fix us food in the pink kitchen. He's a boy.)

Ok, so enough about our kitchen. Having no money is stressful, & there seems to be guilt attached to everything you buy, because there's always the question of whether the money could/should be better spent. The decisions then can be paralyzing.

So here's what I think: what will you feel the least guilty about? If you had plenty of money, what would you buy? I often find that w/ plenty of money, there's not all that much I really want after all--it's just the freedom to not worry about it that I want. So if you can, give yourself that. *Enjoy* spending the money instead of letting it stress you out. :001_smile:

Second, you sound like you really want the Ikea kitchen for your girls. If that's the case, I totally understand, & I think that's fine. If it helps you feel better about it, you might see if you can find it (or something similar enough) used on Craig's List or a thrift shop or something.

So here's what I think: what will you feel the least guilty about? If you had plenty of money, what would you buy? I often find that w/ plenty of money, there's not all that much I really want after all--it's just the freedom to not worry about it that I want. So if you can, give yourself that. *Enjoy* spending the money instead of letting it stress you out. :001_smile:

:iagree: I spent a lot of years buying smaller, cheaper toys, so I could give them "more". If I had to do it all over, I would spend it all on ONE really great gift.

:iagree:

Second, you sound like you really want the Ikea kitchen for your girls. If that's the case, I totally understand, & I think that's fine. If it helps you feel better about it, you might see if you can find it (or something similar enough) used on Craig's List or a thrift shop or something. We got the retro pink kitchen this way a couple of years ago, & although our girls love it, I think it makes ME happier than anyone! LOL

(We had an adorable really cheap plastic kitchen w/ nothing wrong w/ it, so I felt completely silly, but it was a great deal. Afterwards, our older dd, who barely played kitchen, said that the best thing about it was that it was big enough for TWO people to use at the same time. Now she plays kitchen! And the younger dd has ended up LOVING kitchen stuff. And the really odd thing? The baby has turned into a toddler who loves nothing better than to go fix us food in the pink kitchen. He's a boy.)

Ok, so enough about our kitchen. Having no money is stressful, & there seems to be guilt attached to everything you buy, because there's always the question of whether the money could/should be better spent. The decisions then can be paralyzing.

You're totally right. I suppose the biggest issue is that originally my parents were also sending money, so I was planning on FINALLY having a nicer present and the other stuff (play food, yarn, a new pan). But now they are strapped and can't send anything, and so we only have the $200 from the other parents. So now I really should, logically, drop down to a plastic kitchen. But I don't want to. :crying:

(The only one on Craigslist is plastic.)

Edited by LittleIzumi

What was the intent of your il's - that you spend the money on needs or on gifts for the kids? That would influence my decision. The other factor would be how tight money is for you - if you need money for groceries, get the used kitchen; if you make ends meet every month but don't have extra for gifts, get what you think is best.

I have a lovely wooden kitchen that has been in my living room for 20 years. It's really beautiful. I am glad we got something that is attractive and timeless, believe me. My nephew plays with it, and it's still a huge draw for every child who visits. I would get what you can stand to look at. If you can make it, or find something that isn't too costly, buy it. But don't get something that will make your stomach hurt for the next several years.

When my DD was 4, we decided to have a refrigerator box party for her birthday. I bought some nontoxic paints. She had three friends over on separate days for playdates. With each one she picked something to build from a refrigerator box. One was a castle, one was a train, and I forget the other one. We figured out together how to draw the features they wanted onto the boxes, and then I made the necessary cuts. Then they painted and decorated.

On her birthday, we had a treasure hunt. I took photos of the boxes and of other features in our boring, urban yard. I taped them into place in a row, so that each was the 'clue' to the next. The treasure was a dollar store treasure box with chocolate coins.

The kids who came to this party, which also featured peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and a homemade cake, loved it. DD and her friends played with the box 'club houses' all summer long. We had the house with the fun yard.

This was all because we were so unconventional and needed to be very careful with our money at that point. The truth is, nothing we could have bought would have been as cool as this, because it would not have included DD as one of the makers.

Can you think of a way to make a kitchen for your girls, and involve them in doing so--maybe in the design? I've seen some really cute packing box kitchens online. Then you could customize it, and also you could afford some really good dishes and food that will last them throughout their childhood. If you approach things this way, you might actually be happier with how they turn out than if you spent a lot of money. And, down the road when you're in better financial shape, if you still want something different you can get it without worrying about it so much.

I agree with the person that said they would get one good present instead of many cheap presents. A wooden kitchen will hold up a lot better than the plastic ones and have resale value in the future or can be kept for your grandchildren even.

The plastic toys don't stand the test of time as well.

Yep, I regret the plastic one. She out grew out it and hubby is like "she has one why get another one" I know the wood ones my friend had we still played with at like 12! IT was big and fun and next year we are getting a nice wooden one! You have kids at the perfect age to get years and years out of it.

But go to Walmart.com and look up kitchens. They have some cute ones too. And Kmart had various wood kitchen pieces for $50.00 a piece.

You're totally right. I suppose the biggest issue is that originally my parents were also sending money, so I was planning on FINALLY having a nicer present and the other stuff (play food, yarn, a new pan). But now they are strapped and can't send anything, and so we only have the $200 from the other parents. So now I really should, logically, drop down to a plastic kitchen. But I don't want to. :crying:

Are you or dh handy at all?

http://ana-white.com/2010/11/inspiring-play-kitchens-and-a-smaller-fridge.html

And she just added this today:

http://ana-white.com/2010/12/play-faucet.html

Heck, I bought a big box of used books for $25 a few weeks back, some of them are going under the tree (some of them, I just put straight on the shelves... they looked really well loved), but I got about 70 books -- a bunch of Magic Treehouse, which my younger DS requested. No complaints here about a used, in good condition kitchen!!

Christmas morning will be a blast for your girls -- of that I am certain (and yes, I did just buy all of the Bitty Baby clothes for $55 on the sale/swap board to dole out to my baby girl over Christmas, birthday... Christmas, birthday):D

I think this is one of those situations where you can go either way and it will be okay. If you'd rather have the nicer kitchen, then get it and visit the thrift shop for the other stuff: small pots and pans (real, not play). Start saving empty boxes and tubs to use as play food for now and add more later.

I agree that if getting the nicer kitchen means doing without groceries, then by all means get a used plastic set. I wouldn't worry about durability , resale, or passing it onto future generations in your situation. The older Little Tykes kitchen that my kids used had been used previously by two other families and survived one more after ours. I know it got a real workout from my kids.

The kids will be happy even if it's a freebie plucked off the curb. :)

If you have a place to get the word out that you're in the market-email list or church--you might let them know what you're after. Sometimes people will be glad to pass those items along.

Edited by Pippen

i think you might be able to build something out of wood for even less or the same than the one from ikea and make it so much nicer. but idk how handy y'all are.

http://www.lowescreativeideas.com/idea-library/projects/Kids_Kitchen_Set_Refrigerator_0709.aspx

http://www.mommywords.com/2009/10/diy-play-kitchen-who-needs-pottery-barn/

Personally, we've been where you are and I wanted to give you a big :grouphug:

I have a big plastic doll house that was given to use many years ago that my kids still play with but I'm trying to convince my husband we have room for this kitchen (above links). we really don't but i know the kids would love it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I would do the version of the Ikea kitchen without the microwave for $99. With the extra $38 you can add on some play food, or use it for other expenses. They sell the $38 microwave/shelf add on separately, so you can add it on later if you want to.

Kitchen w/o microwave

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70129801

ETA

This breakfast set is $5

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40185756#

Edited by Annie

I have a lovely wooden kitchen that has been in my living room for 20 years. It's really beautiful. I am glad we got something that is attractive and timeless, believe me. My nephew plays with it, and it's still a huge draw for every child who visits. I would get what you can stand to look at. If you can make it, or find something that isn't too costly, buy it. But don't get something that will make your stomach hurt for the next several years.

:iagree:

You're going to look at it every day for the next 10 years or more.

I have found lots of kitchen play items at Goodwill & Savers. I've picked up metal camp mugs and small plates, small wooden spoons, wooden bowls, small stainless steel pans, litte wire wisks etc for very little.

If you do spend the money on a wooden kitchen, think in terms of a few smaller, cheaper items as other gifts. Chalk, bubbles, playdough, dominoes (which I fnd all of the time at Saver's), a Shoots & Ladders (or the like) game, used books etc. Saver's has awesome books, and they are .69 for children's books.

Personally I LOVE this one from Walmart dot com http://www.walmart.com/ip/KidKraft-Red-Vintage-Kitchen/13442822 but they also have some very NICE plastic ones that are under 70.00 that will not fall apart in 2 weeks of playing with them.

I got lucky and found a local auction on Ebay for a Little Tykes kitchen for my daughter and everyone that sees it wants it (it's a hard to find style in the color she has) and I only paid 40.00 for it.

I say spend as much as you can without taking away from anything else. A kitchen set is something they will get a lot of use from.

Good luck with your decision.

Dawn

:iagree: I spent a lot of years buying smaller, cheaper toys, so I could give them "more". If I had to do it all over, I would spend it all on ONE really great gift.

:iagree: Less is more. They are so young and have many years of acumulating toys ahead of them. I don't know which plastic kitchen set you mean, but I'd go for the better quality so it will last a long time and you will enjoy looking at for the next 5 years or so. You can always pull plastic spoons, measuring cups/spoons, bowls from your kitchen for them to play with in their kitchen. Sometimes I save empty containers-spice jars, small boxes, plastic containers like from sour cream- for my dc to use in their kitchen.

How sweet of your mom to bless you this way.

Personally I LOVE this one from Walmart dot com http://www.walmart.com/ip/KidKraft-Red-Vintage-Kitchen/13442822 but they also have some very NICE plastic ones that are under 70.00 that will not fall apart in 2 weeks of playing with them.

I got lucky and found a local auction on Ebay for a Little Tykes kitchen for my daughter and everyone that sees it wants it (it's a hard to find style in the color she has) and I only paid 40.00 for it.

I say spend as much as you can without taking away from anything else. A kitchen set is something they will get a lot of use from.

Good luck with your decision.

Dawn

This one is larger: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kidkraft-Deluxe-Kitchen/10760178?findingMethod=rr

You'll get more years out of it since it's 9" taller than the red one. I had the pastel version since my dd was about 4, and just re-homed it this past year.

This one is larger: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kidkraft-Deluxe-Kitchen/10760178?findingMethod=rr

You'll get more years out of it since it's 9" taller than the red one. I had the pastel version since my dd was about 4, and just re-homed it this past year.

WOW.

Okay, since there are no kitchens at the used stores around us (I have one more to check), I think I either like that one or getting the bottom half of the IKEA kitchen & getting the top for their birthday next year. I really do want to get them something that will last--the plastic ones in the nursery at church have every single door ripped off. I don't want to have to throw it away in six months, KWIM? Thanks everyone!!!!

Oh, and yeah, so not handy here :lol:. Little things we can handle, but we only own one large hand saw, the only real power tool is one drill, etc.

Well, because of how much I love wood... I'd get that. Much nicer and a great feel. You can pick up some wool and fabric and kinda "design" your food for it. Small sample boxes for cereal boxes..... Course, I just don't care about Christmas presents... and I love getting them for my kids... when they're just the right one :)

You like the Ikea kitchen, it's very cute, and all your kids will love playing with it. That sounds like a win, to me. I would skip the top with the microwave for the time being--there are always birthdays and next Christmas, and spend that $39 on dishes and food.

Being strapped for cash doesn't mean you have to get stuff you don't want--it just means that you prioritize brutally and get only the stuff you really want.

Can you hand-sew at all? If you can sew on a button, you can make super darling felt food with the craft squares of felt that craft stores sell for about $.40 and some embroidery thread. There are a lot of easy directions--if you google "make felt food" you will not run out of links.

Have a happy Christmas morning!

I haven't seen them in person, but those Walmart kitchens look like they have a lot more play value than the Ikea kitchen.

I know you like the Ikea one, but are you sure your kids wouldn't prefer the Walmart ones (especially the larger one?) There seems to be a lot more that they can do with the Walmart kitchens.

Cat

I haven't seen them in person, but those Walmart kitchens look like they have a lot more play value than the Ikea kitchen.

I know you like the Ikea one, but are you sure your kids wouldn't prefer the Walmart ones (especially the larger one?) There seems to be a lot more that they can do with the Walmart kitchens.

Cat

Yeah, I'm discussing one a PP linked with dh. Darn you Walmart, being cheaper and making me shop there :lol:

This is what I was going to post! Ana's plans are typically very easy. Plus, you could build one piece at a time, it's something you could build on.

I would do the version of the Ikea kitchen without the microwave for $99. With the extra $38 you can add on some play food, or use it for other expenses. They sell the $38 microwave/shelf add on separately, so you can add it on later if you want to.

Kitchen w/o microwave

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70129801

ETA

This breakfast set is $5

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40185756#

This is a good option if you guys are not handy at all.

And don't be embarrassed, everyone has hard times in one form or another. :grouphug:

I would get the kitchen that I really loved, and for me that would be the wooden one. It sounds like that is what you would prefer. You can find lots of felt food patterns online, and you can save your empty boxes, plastic spice bottles, etc. to build up a stash of food. Target has some play food/kitchen items in the dollar section right now. They also have a big set of stainless steel pots/pans/utensils (play-sized) for 15.00, and a giant set of plastic play food for ten dollars.

Walmart sells plastic plates, spoons, bowls, etc. 4/1.00, or at least they used to, on the aisle with ice trays, Rubbermaid containers, etc.

I would get the cutsey country kitchen for Walmart that was $69 and then save the rest for accessories or whatever.

I've found that I've had to give up what I wanted, because they were not something my DD really wanted. So I try not to spend too much money on things that might lose their appeal or if they are more my idea than hers.

We had a kitchen but now it is sitting in the basement since it wasn't being used. Now the food I bought through a educational catalog is still being used.

Kids are 5, 3, and newborn.

I started reading responses and then came back to their ages. At these ages, they will be happy with anything!

If you really want the IKEA kitchen for them, go for it. I can tell you that the $30 model from Target will last through 2 kids. My 3rd was a boy and not very interested so I can't say for sure it will last through 3. BUT ours is still at church and getting used. (My girls are now 16 and 13.)

Yeah, I'm discussing one a PP linked with dh. Darn you Walmart, being cheaper and making me shop there :lol:

Those KidKraft kitchens are only very recently available at Walmart. They are right up there with (or slightly better than) Melissa & Doug in quality. You could check Meijer too if there's one nearby. Our has carried them before.

I ordered ours online--back when they cost a good deal more. :tongue_smilie: