Menu

Irish, Philippine, Tiawan christmas/holiday ornament/craft/something?

So I posted about suddenly having a christmas party. Well I realized we were in a sort of unique situation with it. The moms from all three families each come from a differnt country - Ireland, Philippeans and Tiawan. All came over in their early 20's. All the kids are very Americanized.

Anyone from any of those countries? Anyone able to tell me any sort of holiday craft that might be somewhat representative of each country?

I thought it might be nice to do an ornament/craft/something for each country and let each mom tell what it was like at christmas there growing up.

If I could pull it off it would be really neat. None of these kids have been to any of these countries at christmas time.

And while some would like to believe (wish, hope, pray) that NJ people are from some strange foreign land (or planet) based on "Jersey Shore" characters, well we aren't. But while I can't do anything all that interesting based on my NJ christmases, we did do two christmases in Japan, so that would even be a 4th country covered.

So??? Anyone????

Philippines - A Christmas lantern called a Parol: They can be really elaborate and difficult to make but here is one site with instructions for kids: http://www.ehow.com/list_6305991_philippine-crafts-children.html

This is a video that shows a different kind of cut paper start that is really neat. Filipinos do a lot of cut paper crafts so this is authentic too. I think this might work with kids too. http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how-to-make-a-filipino-christmas-star-lucky-star-ng-pasko

And while some would like to believe (wish, hope, pray) that NJ people are from some strange foreign land (or planet) based on "Jersey Shore" characters, well we aren't. But while I can't do anything all that interesting based on my NJ christmases,

Heh heh heh. I live on one of the sandbars much farther south than where Jersey shore is filmed. Memories of Christmases here? For a traditional effect, get all your decorations set just so, then pull out a huge fan and set it on high. Let everything get blown to one end of the house. Have the kids retrieve everything. Then repeat. If you want to get really "official", do it outside! :tongue_smilie:

We're fairly close to the beach and those darn westerly winds always kick up in December. The beach is littered with decorations that haven't been retrieved yet due to days of it combined with super-low temps. Today seems like the day the temps and winds will moderate. I expect to see a lot of folks walking back from the beach later with their holly and ivy. :)

Christmas was not generally celebrated in Taiwan when I lived there ('87 to '92).

Although there are Christians in Taiwan (there's a long Western influence there) Christianity is not dominant.

Laura

I know, that's why I was looking for holiday crafts as well. Something either seasonal or new year oriented.

I certainly wasn't basing my question on thinking christmas ONLY occurred where christians live or implying Taiwan had been converted. There are a lot of people who celebrate christmas that aren't christian. Japan was perfect example. A lot of people just like christmas and don't connect it strictly to a church. Even for some christans, they are two disconnected events that occur on the same date.

Philippines - A Christmas lantern called a Parol: They can be really elaborate and difficult to make but here is one site with instructions for kids: http://www.ehow.com/list_6305991_philippine-crafts-children.html

This is a video that shows a different kind of cut paper start that is really neat. Filipinos do a lot of cut paper crafts so this is authentic too. I think this might work with kids too. http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how-to-make-a-filipino-christmas-star-lucky-star-ng-pasko

This is perfect thank you.

But boy that guy on you tube moves fast! LOL! I'm going to have to watch that a few times I think!

Heh heh heh. I live on one of the sandbars much farther south than where Jersey shore is filmed. Memories of Christmases here? For a traditional effect, get all your decorations set just so, then pull out a huge fan and set it on high. Let everything get blown to one end of the house. Have the kids retrieve everything. Then repeat. If you want to get really "official", do it outside! :tongue_smilie:

We're fairly close to the beach and those darn westerly winds always kick up in December. The beach is littered with decorations that haven't been retrieved yet due to days of it combined with super-low temps. Today seems like the day the temps and winds will moderate. I expect to see a lot of folks walking back from the beach later with their holly and ivy. :)

Ah, see I never experienced that! LOL! We were in Essex county, about 25 minutes from the city, so wind wasn't much of a problem. And I only ventured down to the shore in good weather. That means it couldn't be too cold OR too hot! But then I was a boardwalk girl, not a sit on the beach/sand lay in the sun type. Sadly, a Midway's cheesesteak sounds REALLY good right now! I must be hungry. Better go eat breakfast!

I know, that's why I was looking for holiday crafts as well. Something either seasonal or new year oriented.

I certainly wasn't basing my question on thinking christmas ONLY occurred where christians live or implying Taiwan had been converted. There are a lot of people who celebrate christmas that aren't christian. Japan was perfect example. A lot of people just like christmas and don't connect it strictly to a church. Even for some christans, they are two disconnected events that occur on the same date.

The Western calendar new year was not much celebrated. I'm trying to think of winter customs.... Hot pot meals are eaten a lot in winter - I don't know if you could incorporate something like that.

That said, things can change. When I first went to Mainland China, Christmas and Western New Year were not celebrated. Now, in the mainland, Chinese people often go out drinking on one or both of those dates and there are Christmas trees in all the shops. Things may have changed in Taiwan too.

Laura