Menu

kids say the funniest things...

One of my favorite things about homeschooling, is the funny things they say while doing their work. This happen today:

DD: "What's a hundred times a million?"

DS1: "A hundred million."

DS2: "Wow! That's hard."

DD: "It's not hard DS2. It's easy. It's as easy pie!"

DS1: "No, DD, actually pi is really, really hard.

Please post any of your kids moments. Let's have a laugh!

Not school related but my three year old told me today, "Mommy, I think we need a bigger TV because ours is too old."

For the record, we have a 17 year old, 27 inch TV that works just fine. I'm wondering if he thinks our TV is too old because all he sees in the stores are flat screens.

Here are Alexa's latest:

May 16, 2009 (Alexa is 8 years old)...

We were driving in the car when Alexa said "Oh, I found a quarter, but it's under the seat!"

She bent down to the floor trying to get this quarter.

I said to her, "Alexa, you have to sit up properly in the car with your seatbelt on the right way, or else it isn't safe and your seatbelt can't protect you properly if we get into an accident." Then I added "and a quarter isn't worth that, trust me."

Alexa, with the infinite wisdom of an eight year old, replied:

"But at least the quarter would help you pay for the hospital if I got hurt."

---

7/18/09 – Alexa is still 8.

We visited Quiet Valley Living Historical Farm. Staff dressed in period clothing would re-enact life in the old days. In each building, a different person would talk to us about the room and the things they did there. We saw how they might make toast way back when, how they used coals for cooking, how it took so long to make candles that only burned for 20 minutes, how they kept warm in the winter and different things like that.

One girl kept talking about her "sister in law, Cara" and saying how she couldn't cook and how she'd burned a cake she was trying to make because she didn't cool the coals off enough or some such.

So you know what they say about "out of the mouths of babes." Ben, three years old, speaks up and says aloud to the room "My mommy knows how to make cake." Everyone laughed.

Then Alexa piped in with "but usually she just buys them."

Everyone laughed harder.

---

October 3, 2009 - Alexa just turned 9.

There's a small, shabby diner in town that we pass all the time as it's right on the main highway going into and out of town. We'd gone there a few times in the past for breakfast, but it's been quite a while since we've gone. So today Alexa randomly asked me "Mom, we go to the diner, right?"

I said "Well, we have, but it's been a long time since we went there."

She said: "When I grow up, I'm going to take my kids there." After a moment, she added: "If I can remember how to get there."

---

October 25, 2009 - Alexa is 9.

We were in the kitchen and Alexa suddenly demanded: "Why do we have tobacco in our house?"

I turned around saying "What?" and saw her holding a little bottle of red sauce.

I said "That's not tobacco. That's tabasco."

"That's the same thing! Isn't it?"

---

November 13, 2009 - Alexa is 9.

Alexa was asking if a boy usually asks a girl to marry him, or if a girl could ask a boy.

I said a lot of times the boy asks but that sometimes a girl does or they just talk about it together.

She asked if I thought somebody would ask her to marry him.

I said I'm sure someday somebody will.

Which set her off on a train of thought that went: "But I have to make sure I really like him. Like, we will probably spend a day together, maybe have lunch, go out to dinner, he can ask me questions, and I can ask him questions, and then we can decide if we think we should get married..."

Of course I had to explain that it takes a lot more than one day of spending time with someone before you decide if you love them enough to get married.

"How many days?" She then wanted to know.

---

November 17, 2009 - Alexa is 9.

Alexa and I were sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office. There was a lady there with a little boy who looked to be maybe a year and a half old. Alexa wandered over to them and very casually, in the same way you might say "I like your shoes," said to the woman:

"I like your kid."

---

December, 2009 - Alexa is 9.

Alexa and I were starting to read a section from "The Care & Keeping Of You, The Body Book For Girls" for Health. This particular section covered "the pubic area."

When I first mentioned it, Alexa said: "I already know what that is."

And she proceeded to point to her eye.

I had to inform her that pubic is NOT the same as pupil. :)

---

Alexa is 9:

I watched Alexa bring down a load of dirty laundry to her dad in the basement, and go up to get more.

I reminded her that we still had a bit more schoolwork to do.

Alexa: What’s more important? School or laundry?

Me, jokingly: Yes. (meaning: both!)

Alexa: Would you rather be educated or naked?

Me: Huh?

Alexa: Well, if we don’t have any clean clothes, we’ll have nothing to wear, and then we’ll have to walk around with no clothes on!

Me: So are you trying to say that laundry is more important than school?

Alexa: Yes!

And she proceeded to go upstairs and get the rest of the laundry.

---

I've been maintaining a wordpad file of these things since she was like 3 or 4. She's 10 now. :D Some of the older ones are even funnier but I didn't want to go back too far and overwhelm you all with a hundred posts lol.

Here are Alexa's latest:

May 16, 2009 (Alexa is 8 years old)...

We were driving in the car when Alexa said "Oh, I found a quarter, but it's under the seat!"

She bent down to the floor trying to get this quarter.

I said to her, "Alexa, you have to sit up properly in the car with your seatbelt on the right way, or else it isn't safe and your seatbelt can't protect you properly if we get into an accident." Then I added "and a quarter isn't worth that, trust me."

Alexa, with the infinite wisdom of an eight year old, replied:

"But at least the quarter would help you pay for the hospital if I got hurt."

---

7/18/09 – Alexa is still 8.

We visited Quiet Valley Living Historical Farm. Staff dressed in period clothing would re-enact life in the old days. In each building, a different person would talk to us about the room and the things they did there. We saw how they might make toast way back when, how they used coals for cooking, how it took so long to make candles that only burned for 20 minutes, how they kept warm in the winter and different things like that.

One girl kept talking about her "sister in law, Cara" and saying how she couldn't cook and how she'd burned a cake she was trying to make because she didn't cool the coals off enough or some such.

So you know what they say about "out of the mouths of babes." Ben, three years old, speaks up and says aloud to the room "My mommy knows how to make cake." Everyone laughed.

Then Alexa piped in with "but usually she just buys them."

Everyone laughed harder.

---

October 3, 2009 - Alexa just turned 9.

There's a small, shabby diner in town that we pass all the time as it's right on the main highway going into and out of town. We'd gone there a few times in the past for breakfast, but it's been quite a while since we've gone. So today Alexa randomly asked me "Mom, we go to the diner, right?"

I said "Well, we have, but it's been a long time since we went there."

She said: "When I grow up, I'm going to take my kids there." After a moment, she added: "If I can remember how to get there."

---

October 25, 2009 - Alexa is 9.

We were in the kitchen and Alexa suddenly demanded: "Why do we have tobacco in our house?"

I turned around saying "What?" and saw her holding a little bottle of red sauce.

I said "That's not tobacco. That's tabasco."

"That's the same thing! Isn't it?"

---

November 13, 2009 - Alexa is 9.

Alexa was asking if a boy usually asks a girl to marry him, or if a girl could ask a boy.

I said a lot of times the boy asks but that sometimes a girl does or they just talk about it together.

She asked if I thought somebody would ask her to marry him.

I said I'm sure someday somebody will.

Which set her off on a train of thought that went: "But I have to make sure I really like him. Like, we will probably spend a day together, maybe have lunch, go out to dinner, he can ask me questions, and I can ask him questions, and then we can decide if we think we should get married..."

Of course I had to explain that it takes a lot more than one day of spending time with someone before you decide if you love them enough to get married.

"How many days?" She then wanted to know.

---

November 17, 2009 - Alexa is 9.

Alexa and I were sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office. There was a lady there with a little boy who looked to be maybe a year and a half old. Alexa wandered over to them and very casually, in the same way you might say "I like your shoes," said to the woman:

"I like your kid."

---

December, 2009 - Alexa is 9.

Alexa and I were starting to read a section from "The Care & Keeping Of You, The Body Book For Girls" for Health. This particular section covered "the pubic area."

When I first mentioned it, Alexa said: "I already know what that is."

And she proceeded to point to her eye.

I had to inform her that pubic is NOT the same as pupil. :)

---

Alexa is 9:

I watched Alexa bring down a load of dirty laundry to her dad in the basement, and go up to get more.

I reminded her that we still had a bit more schoolwork to do.

Alexa: What’s more important? School or laundry?

Me, jokingly: Yes. (meaning: both!)

Alexa: Would you rather be educated or naked?

Me: Huh?

Alexa: Well, if we don’t have any clean clothes, we’ll have nothing to wear, and then we’ll have to walk around with no clothes on!

Me: So are you trying to say that laundry is more important than school?

Alexa: Yes!

And she proceeded to go upstairs and get the rest of the laundry.

---

I've been maintaining a wordpad file of these things since she was like 3 or 4. She's 10 now. :D Some of the older ones are even funnier but I didn't want to go back too far and overwhelm you all with a hundred posts lol.

Would you rather be educated or naked? :lol:

I used to send these out in my Christmas letter. People would ask when it was coming. (I usually didn't get it sent until January)