Menu

I need something uplifting to read....

Fiction or non-fiction, but not too heavy. I find myself being very negative these days (it has been a rough year around here) and would like to make a point of reading some books that leave me up, not down. Any suggestions?

The Mitford books, by Jan Karon

The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency series, by Alexander McCall Smith

Sunday Philosophy series, by Alexander McCall Smith

Mitch Albom's "The Five People You Meet in Heaven," left me feeling a bit sentimental but positive and hopeful. "The Christmas Jar" is another good one for leaving you feeling good. Both are really short, though.

In terms of brain candy books, I like Janet Evanovich, Tamar Myers, and similar authors. Evanovich makes me laugh, and Tamar Myers makes me groan b/c they're hokey -- but funny. :)

HIH,

Lisa

I just read Juliet by Anne Fortier. GOod book! Romance, but "historical fiction" also...based around the story of Romeo and Juliet, except that in this book Romeo and Juliet wasn't just a fictional story written by Shakespeare, but rather based on true events... :) That's all I'm going to say!

Oh and wanted to add - not trashy romance, but PG-13 rated romance. :) It was a real page turner! But I've always loved the story of Romeo and Juliet.

Edited by snipsnsnailsx5

The Harmony Town books by Philip Gulley (Quaker minister) are wonderful & hilarious. I can't remember the title of the first one, and it's fun to read them in order. Maybe it's Front Porch Tales.

They are warm, thoughtful, and laugh-out-loud funny.

www.amazon.com/Wonders-Harmony-Novels-Philip-Gulley/dp/0060858400/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Edited by LibraryLover

Thank you, everyone. I will write these titles & authors down and see what hits the spot. I will have to go to the library up the road instead of my local one, since my overdue fines are sky high. :tongue_smilie: Actually, I might just head to Books-a-Million - it will probably be cheaper for me in the end. :glare:

• 3 weeks later...

Uplifting and books that will leave you feeling up. These have been some of my favorites:

The Five People You Meet in Heaven

Tuesdays with Morrie - and pretty much any other Mitch Albom book – we even got the DVDs of three of his books and really liked them

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg and most of her books - although this one is her absolute best. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Anything by Maeve Binchy ... sweet and light :)

Funny in Farsi

NON-FICTION

The Geography of Bliss

Dave Barry’s Only Travel Guide You’ll Ever Need and pretty much any Dave Barry book