Menu

CW for Older Beginners - when can I start?

ReneTL

I've read some threads and just read in The Latin Centered Curriculum something that has me thinking. I'm finishing WWE 4 with my 5th grader this year and I'm wondering about CW for next year. If we start with Homer A in 6th grade, I'm a year behind. The CW website recommends Classical Writing for Older Beginners for 7th grade and up, but The Latin Centered Curriculum says I can start in 6th. Anyone tried CW for Older Beginners in 6th? Is it a big deal to be a year "behind"?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Peace,

Rene

I would rather be a year behind then tackle Older Beginners in 6th or even 7th.

We did it in 8th and it was hard. She is now almost done with Maxim and it would be much easier to go quickly through Diogenes then to rush Homer.

I suppose if your student is strong in grammar it might be okay earlier, but there is a lot of work in Homer.

Here are some similar threads-

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219938&highlight=homer

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222311&highlight=homer

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216748&highlight=homer

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104572&highlight=homer

Edited by Mallory

I'm about to start CW in Jan. with my dd11 and dd12. I'm planning on doing Homer A in one semester and Homer B the next. Each is only 20 weeks (Each level is meant to be done along with Poetry) so you probably could complete it in just over a 36 week school year if you don't do the poetry. You could do this and then be ready for Diogenes in the 7th year.

There are others who might say that it would be too difficult to do all of Homer in one year but from what I have read it is do-able, especially if your child is not writing phobic. Remember, I haven't actually used it yet though so take what I say with a grain of salt. ;)

There are others who might say that it would be too difficult to do all of Homer in one year but from what I have read it is do-able, especially if your child is not writing phobic.

I think that Homer A and then B is much more doable then Older Beginners, but I think Poetry is our favorite part of the program, so I wouldn't recomend that you skip that.

Couldn't she (I'm curious for myself too) do the Poetry for Older Beginners along with Diogenes?

Yes, but then you'd be behind for Intermediate Poetry. ;) Okay, I haven't actually used it yet (we are starting it after break), but I am hoping it is as nice as Poetry for Beginners!

I also think taking poetry breaks between every 1/2 or 1/4 or Homer is so nice! Homer really can be very difficult. Some of it is just the layout/planning/whatever and I think if I use it again for other kids it will be easier to get through, but it is tough going that first time through. So being able to do half the Homer book, then half the poetry book makes for nice breaks.

I still think that if you want to speed up CW it is much easier during Maxim then in Homer. Take your time with Homer, do the poetry for a break and you can easily condense Maxim when you get there. We often had to take 1 1/2 or 2 weeks for a week of OB, but in Maxim it was not problem to do 2 weeks of lessons each week.

I still think that if you want to speed up CW it is much easier during Maxim then in Homer. Take your time with Homer, do the poetry for a break and you can easily condense Maxim when you get there. We often had to take 1 1/2 or 2 weeks for a week of OB, but in Maxim it was not problem to do 2 weeks of lessons each week.

I feel like I hijacked Rene's thread.:tongue_smilie: But...thanks for this info. I definitely want to get through Homer A between Jan. and May but if it is difficult I will take your recommendation into consideration when we get ready to start Homer B. Perhaps I will do it with the poetry for the whole year and try to play catch up once in Diogenes. Thanks!

Rene, I hope you are able to glean something useful from my ramblings...sorry for the hijack.

Yes, but then you'd be behind for Intermediate Poetry. ;) Okay, I haven't actually used it yet (we are starting it after break), but I am hoping it is as nice as Poetry for Beginners!

I also think taking poetry breaks between every 1/2 or 1/4 or Homer is so nice! Homer really can be very difficult. Some of it is just the layout/planning/whatever and I think if I use it again for other kids it will be easier to get through, but it is tough going that first time through. So being able to do half the Homer book, then half the poetry book makes for nice breaks.

I will second all Mallory has said.

I am told that Homer is a lot more work and writing than even Diogenes. You would be better off starting with Aesop B or Homer A and being "behind" in the program at first, then playing catch up later on. They do offer classes that combine the later levels, and long term they may offer student and teacher texts as well. I also know of at least one person who's dd has completed almost both years of Diogenes in one and still through it was less work than Homer. :D

For the record I have one dd (7th grade) in Homer B/Beginning Poetry B with about 8 weeks of both left. I have one dd in Aesop B (5th grade). My 4th grade girl is gearing up but still hasn't started Aesop A.

Heather