Menu

Half Price Books store

Does anyone get hsing books at their brick and mortar Half Price Books store? We have one about 30 minutes away, and I haven't been there since before I had children. I just happened upon the second great score that I've had on books at the local Once Upon a Child, and I'm wondering whether I should go back to Half Price Books. Do you find nice deals there?

Half Price Books has a teacher's discount card for homeschoolers. Just take in your excusal letter, or some other paperwork proving you homeschool. The education section at our store is pretty small, but it has been a great source for books for the kids to read. They enjoy picking out books there.

Um, what books do I NOT get at HPB?:tongue_smilie: But like a pp said it's hit or miss so you have to go often. Like thrift stores. I have a couple of them quite close to me so sometimes I make a Sunday afternoon outing of hitting HPB and Goodwill, by myself. It's fun! Lots of living books, not so much curriculum, but sometimes. I found SOTW 2 there recently for 5 bucks.

I've done better ordering online -- I used to do half.com and alibris, but lately the used books on Amazon seem to be the better deal.

The Half Price Books actual store is a fun excursion, but it's gotten so we rarely buy anything there any more. The clearance books aren't as cheap as they used to be and a lot of the other books just aren't what we need. If I went every week, I'd probably pick up things we need, but we go so rarely I'll bet most of the good stuff is getting snatched up.

But it depends on what you're looking for. It's always a gamble that you'll find anything, but if you look on it as entertainment it's not a bad shopping trip.

If you're looking for college texts, you'd probably do better online and buying an older edition. Half price books tends to charge a LOT more for older texts than they'll go for online (at least, they did before I gave up looking for texts there). I've had better luck for texts at used book sales, but that could just be the area we live in.