Menu

After reading Kwickimom's heartbreaking post

Wow. Is there anything you can't buy on amazon?:001_huh: :rofl:

I have nothing to add to this thread. Thankfully my family leads a very boring life. I've enjoyed reading all your stories and am definitely filing some of them in my memory as I can very well see the same things happening in our home.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another kid ate a AA battery. :001_huh: How did he even swallow that??

Speaking of swallowing batteries, I recently read about kids swallowing those little bitty batteries, I forget what they are called. Those little coin sized ones that are in so many things lately. I guess they can get lodged in their throats and can start burning through the esophagus before the parents even realize that anything happened. I have since removed a number of those batteries from my house.

My kids have had 2 accidents.

When DD was 2, DH left a glass cereal bowl on the edge of the counter. She picked it up, dropped it, and tried to clean up the glass. Her hand required 5 stitches.

When DS1 was about 5, the yard man had just mowed the lawn. DS1 put his hand on the hot mower, resulting in a severe burn.

I saw DS1 walking over there, but I had no idea that lawn mowers got hot. The yard man knew it, and he felt awful that he hadn't stopped DS1. Between him not being familiar with kids and me not being familiar with lawn mowers, DS1 was unprotected that day.

Other than that, my kids haven't had any injuries. Knock on wood.

This thread certainly gives a parent a LOT to think about! While reading, I remembered a couple more.

Dd, when she was not yet 2, found Papaw's ladder that he had been using to paint the eves of the house and climbed it. He wasn't used to having toddlers around the house anymore (she was the first grandchild) and had just left it standing up at the back of the garage... that had a room above it and lots of leftover building stuff strewn on the ground behind the ladder that was extended to where it reached the peak of the roof! She made it to the top before I found her. She just looked down at me and said, "I climb!" with the biggest grin on her face. After I could take a breath I said, "Great, now climb down," which she promptly did and I immediately laid the ladder down on the ground. She must have been 25 ft up in the air or more with old boards, cinder blocks, and the propane tank beneath her! I had a few words with Papaw after he got home from work that night!

When Ds was not yet 2, he and Dd were playing in the wading pool in the back yard while I made a video for Daddy while he was deployed. Ds was standing up and sitting down quickly and giggling at the splash it made. Once, though, he fell backwards as he sat and went completely under. Dd, 5 at the time, just looked at him flailing on his back unable to sit up. I dropped the camera and ran over to lift him out and he immediately started crying. Dd didn't have a clue as to what was happening. You can hear her on the tape (because I didn't bother turning the camera off before I dropped it) asking why he was crying and saying how "cute" his face looked under the water.

Just a few months later, Ds was following Dd around the fenced back yard. I started pulling weeds and didn't notice that she had started pulling our reel mower behind her as she walked. Those things are too darn quiet! He ran over and stuck his hand right into the turning blades. Luckily, she wasn't that strong or fast and the blade just knicked his fingernail. It swelled up and oozed out of the hole in his nail, but was otherwise no worse for the wear.

I remembered one my neighbor told me about. A toddler who lived across the street was leaning against the screen on the second story and the screen fell out and the kid did a belly flop on the driveway. Luckily the screen seemed to help break the fall and the kid was barely hurt.

Reading all of these stories makes me realize that we have been very fortunate to not have too many accidents or "near misses". There are absolutely things in this thread that I had not ever considered, though I am a prettyaware person regarding safety issues. Kids do crazy things.

Some years back, I was acquainted with a family who had a horrible accident occur to their four month old baby. The mom had the baby laying on the floor next to a TV while she adjusted some wires in the back. The TV fell on the baby's head. She lived for about a year after that with a great deal of brain damage and then succumbed to the effects of the accident.

Edited by texasmama

Peppermint hard candy from the church's courtesy dish. Almost choked my 5-yo to death.

Hard candy = the Devil. I will never give anyone under 10 anything of the sort as long as I live, so help me God.

Amen! This has happened to us more than once and I am amazed at the many tiny hands dipping into that candy dish at church. And the candy thrown at parades! I was laughing about this at our Christmas parade last week. I stress over my kids eating hard-candy, but thousands of pieces are thrown out to kids each year at this parade and I've yet to hear of a tragedy. I might seem overly-cautious to some, but once you've had to give the Heimlich to a child, it ceases to matter if other parents think you're just strange.

I also saw someone else mention putting carseats on shopping carts. They are supposed to lock in and stay locked in, but the carseats can pop off the cart with little pressure. My toddler stepped up on the side of my shopping cart while I was writing a check and it tipped the cart over towards her. She was fine, but the baby's carseat landed face down. Somehow, she didn't hit her head; she was small and I guess the edges came up just enough to protect her. I stopped putting carseats on the carts from then on.

This thread brings back lots of memories of horribles.

And things that were dangerous and stupid but not bad enough, in afterthought we can still we be amazed and sort of...giggle.

And the posts that are tragic.

Keep being paranoid, keep thinking the worst when all is quiet.:001_huh:

:grouphug:

"How many times have I told you not to take glasses outside?" I said, after son#2, maybe 11, took drinking glass outside, stood on blacktop driveway, dropped it accidentally, just as son #1, 14, had lifted his bare foot and was stepping back down right onto the broken glass. Go to ER, come back home and fix it ourselves because the wait was too long.

Son #3 when 2, put a Lego light up his nose just a little too far. ER doc thought that was pretty funny. Kid did too.

Son#4, when not quite 2, climbed woodstove insert (not in use) to see what was on top of mantle, slipped, rammed front baby teeth into woodstove which pushed them up into the gums. He went without front teeth until he was almost 8. ER trip, we just had to wait to see if it got infected, it did, teeth were pulled.:001_huh:

Son #1, 4, running on sidewalk, tripped, goose egg bump on forehead. Horrible. I have never seen such a big bump on a child.

He also when about 2, fell down the wood basement steps, fell over the side halfway down to the concrete. He was okay.

Son #3, skateboarding, 12, came home looking messed up. "there were these squirrels..." He had some nasty abrasions on his arms and legs that actually laid him up for a few days.

House built in the 60's had metal reinforced corners on the inside walls. Son#4 running, he was 15 mos. old, turned quickly and ran into a corner of the wall, stitches for his head.

WHen my friend's son was about five he woke up in the middle of the night and wanted to open a can of silly string in his room. He couldn't get it open and went into the kitchen and climbed up on the counter to reach a large sharp steak knife, jumped down with the knife and went back to his room and pried the cap off with the large knife. They woke up to silly string all over his bedroom. And they thought it was so funny...I was appalled.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/12/15/dozens-deaths-drop-cribs-outlawed/?test=latestnews

After Dozens of Deaths, Drop-Side Cribs Outlawed

The government is outlawing drop-side cribs after the deaths of more than 30 infants and toddlers in the past decade.

I guess that means the very expensive, girly crib I have been saving for my daughter for years (it was hers) is useless :(

WHen my friend's son was about five he woke up in the middle of the night and wanted to open a can of silly string in his room. He couldn't get it open and went into the kitchen and climbed up on the counter to reach a large sharp steak knife, jumped down with the knife and went back to his room and pried the cap off with the large knife. They woke up to silly string all over his bedroom. And they thought it was so funny...I was appalled.

I am too :scared:

It says the blade is only good for one use though--aaaaargh. So much for easing my paranoia with three kids in carseats in the backseat.

Try this one....

http://www.ourdesigns.com/shop/Product/Extricator-5-n-1-Life-Hammer-EMI7000.aspx

My EMT friend gave me that link, when I inquired. Seems I was wrong too, it is a bit cheaper for theirs.

When dd was was about 2 dh and I each thought that the other was watching her, and then I found her in the kitchen. She had bypassed the child locks and made herself a cocktail of bathroom and kitchen cleaners. I thank God that a few months prior we had switched over to a company that makes nontoxic cleaners. We called poison control anyway, and sure enough they said she would have loose stools but would be fine. That was a close and we became more vigilant. But, when my grandmother came for a visit later that yr, she had meds in her suitcase and dd got a hold of it. She consumed one pill and we were calling poison control again. I thought for sure someone would show up to remove our child with 2 calls to the poison control so close together!

One of the scariest stories I ever saw was a man who lost his daughter because she had jumped into a leaf pile in front of their house and was buried in the leaves hiding. He returned home shortly after she had gotten in the leaves and he drove over the leaf pile to park and killed her. That was something that never would have occurred to me. I have since taught that we do not play in leaves that are piled in the street or near the street.

People thought I was neurotic but I taught dd a list of 'nevers' as she got older and I quizzed her on them every time I had to leave her at someone else's house. Never put plastic around your head. Never tie anything around your neck. Don't eat or drink anything unless the mommy gives it to you. etc.

Here recently we have learned the danger of exercise equipment. Dd stepped onto the elliptical machine pedal while trying to go around it. It rotated and caught her toe. Broke the bone in half and dislodged it. They reset it, splinted it and put her in a shoe. Well, Monday was 3 weeks and we went back for a check. Dr said that it is highly unusual, but dd has not healed. So, dr put her in a cast! For a toe :glare:! Our friend's dd broke her arm on an elliptical machine.

I thought that, too, at first, it said the hammers would be good longer, but you'd want them checked. I couldn't figure out either why a razor wouldn't cut more than once. I wonder if they didn't mean that using it could dull it, so you'd not want to rely on it after it's been used, but it would probably be good for a few seatbelts if need be.

It says the blade is only good for one use though--aaaaargh. So much for easing my paranoia with three kids in carseats in the backseat.

My husband built our house. he very carefully put a railing around the veranda , which is 6 feet above ground. he put perpendicular boards on the railing, he looked up the regulations and even measured the baby's head, to make sure there was no way she could possibly go through it. Well the head could not go through, but she managed to get her whole body through, and was hanging from her head. My husband then completely covered the whole thing with chicken wire.

My husband was working on the outside of the house with some tools, he was using a power drill. he put it down for a second, and turned around to get something. ds then2 appeared from nowhere and picked it up. Dh turned around and saw him holding the drill, he yelled out no! ds2 dropped the drill in fright, as he dropped it he pressed the trigger and it drilled right through his boot. Fortunately it went right between his toes.

ds now 14, when he was2 ate black nightshade. took him to ER. they covered the whole room with plastic, and gave him a giant beaker of activated charcoal. he just sat there and drank the whole thing . the doctor was amazed. they were sure he was going to throw it everywhere.

the same ds age 18 went to the chicken pen to play with the baby chicks. I went looking for him , looked into the pen and saw him sitting there holding a chic in his hand, curved around his body was a massive red belly snake ( very venomous) the snake was eating a chick. I just about fainted. I am not usually bothered by snakes, but that was a bit close.

I have one.

My youngest used to love taking bubble baths in my jetted tub. A few years ago, when she was 6, she was taking a bath and I was folding my laundry on the bed. I heard her call for me and I called back. And she then said, "Help me, I'm stuck."

I went into the bathroom and her hair was caught in the intake area of the tub!!

Thankfully, the water wasn't very high in the tub and it kept her face above the water, but I stayed with her and put my hand under the back of her head and yelled for my son to get the scissors.

Had to literally cut her hair away from the "vent", even after we were able to turn the jets off.

So use caution with jetted tubs when you have little girls with long hair!

I fell down a flight of stairs twice, and I was thankfully unharmed. I was 3 when I jumped off my bed onto another matress and fractured my leg, it took forever for it to heal. I sprained both of my pinkies at the same time, and I used to cut worms in half for fun!!:confused: I still have no idea why I ever did that, I feel so bad for doing that now.:tongue_smilie:

younger ds has been hit in a parking lot TWICE now. He was old enough to know better than be careless around cars, and he felt he was too old to hang onto my belt loop or hold my hand. He would just wander and not pay attention. I was ALL EYES after the first hit, the second he just kind of jumped right into a moving car. :eek::eek::svengo:Thankfully he was never hurt.

Those are two off the top of my head but I know there are more.

This happened to my dd when she was 6. She still doesn't EVER look around her. She is a major daydreamer and is completely unaware of her surroundings most of the time.

I have one.

My youngest used to love taking bubble baths in my jetted tub. A few years ago, when she was 6, she was taking a bath and I was folding my laundry on the bed. I heard her call for me and I called back. And she then said, "Help me, I'm stuck."

I went into the bathroom and her hair was caught in the intake area of the tub!!

Thankfully, the water wasn't very high in the tub and it kept her face above the water, but I stayed with her and put my hand under the back of her head and yelled for my son to get the scissors.

Had to literally cut her hair away from the "vent", even after we were able to turn the jets off.

A year or so ago, Georgia required all public pools to change out their drains because of reports of something like this happening, and kids drowning, in pools. A lot of subdivision and public pools did not open that year because replacing the drains was so expensive.

Terri

I have one.

Wow! Would NEVER have thought of this one!

This happened in our city a few years ago, it was so sad. The family had either Christmas or birthday presents sitting on top of a bed, and one of them was wrapped with an elaborate bow. Their little girl went into the room and got on the bed to look at the presents; she somehow got the bow wrapped around her neck and strangled to death. There were several adults in the house.

This thread brings back lots of memories of horribles.

And things that were dangerous and stupid but not bad enough, in afterthought we can still we be amazed and sort of...giggle.

And the posts that are tragic.

Keep being paranoid, keep thinking the worst when all is quiet.:001_huh:

:grouphug:

"How many times have I told you not to take glasses outside?" I said, after son#2, maybe 11, took drinking glass outside, stood on blacktop driveway, dropped it accidentally, just as son #1, 14, had lifted his bare foot and was stepping back down right onto the broken glass. Go to ER, come back home and fix it ourselves because the wait was too long.

Son #3 when 2, put a Lego light up his nose just a little too far. ER doc thought that was pretty funny. Kid did too.

Son#4, when not quite 2, climbed woodstove insert (not in use) to see what was on top of mantle, slipped, rammed front baby teeth into woodstove which pushed them up into the gums. He went without front teeth until he was almost 8. ER trip, we just had to wait to see if it got infected, it did, teeth were pulled.:001_huh:

Son #1, 4, running on sidewalk, tripped, goose egg bump on forehead. Horrible. I have never seen such a big bump on a child.

He also when about 2, fell down the wood basement steps, fell over the side halfway down to the concrete. He was okay.

Son #3, skateboarding, 12, came home looking messed up. "there were these squirrels..." He had some nasty abrasions on his arms and legs that actually laid him up for a few days.

House built in the 60's had metal reinforced corners on the inside walls. Son#4 running, he was 15 mos. old, turned quickly and ran into a corner of the wall, stitches for his head.

Oh my, you have boys don't you!