Menu

Good cholesterol level: How do you increase it besides exercise?

I have been told that the whole Cholesterol thing is a myth.

That it does not lead to heart disease.

If you do a search on the net about this, you will get all kinds of information on it.

I personally think the drug companies like Lipitor have had a hand in all of this cholesterol stuff.

Off my soapbox now:lol:

Moderate exercise, following the Mediterranean diet, and having one or two glasses of red wine per day will help.

Whatever you do, don't take statins to lower your "bad" cholesterol. Statins do way more harm than good. Like dancer, I think the whole cholesterol scare is bunk and will be disproved in years to come.

I've been wondering about this myself. I just got blood test. Every thing looks great, except the good cholesterol. I do exercise, but that's not doing it. I've been wondering if there are other things I can do. I need to lose 10 lbs. too, so I guess it'll be South Beach for me.

My natural pharmacist suggested the other day that a great thing to take is fish oil. He said you need to take about 2000 mg a day to make a difference, but that it can really help. I take fish oil everyday already because of all of the wonderful benefits, but I need to increase my quantity.

For me, sugar is the culprit (for a LOT of things). Most people consume way more sugar than they should. Fruit used to only be around seasonally -- now we have access to fruits all the time! And we over-consume them compared to other things (not to mention, low fat many times means more sugar added to make up for it!).

Read your labels, watch for sugar. I try not to eat anything (on a regular basis) that has more than 1g of sugar, and keep my total sugar consumption between 15-50 g a day (15 or lower, when I'm really trying to lose weight... but I give myself an occasional treat as well.) When you really watch how much sugar you eat, sweets really become too sweet.

Sugar has been shown to lead to fatty liver disease and clump your blood, and hurt your liver's ability to process properly (increasing cholesterol).

Increase your fiber... you should be getting at least 30g of fiber a day. Fiber helps flush these from your system.

And, avoid the "low-fat" trap. Fats help satiate you. Mayo and butter can be your friend :D

I have been battling high cholesterol all my life. Even when I was 18% body fat and in incredible shape, exercising an average of 2 hours a day and eating the prescribed "healthy" way (low-fat, low cal, no dairy, egg substitutes, you name it), my cholesterol was still sky high (I was 25). It was the SUGAR.

FTR, I also have low blood pressure. We're talking my normal BP is 100 over 50. When I'm in great shape, exercising has gotten as low as 80/40 (and I'm walking around just fine, thank you). When I'm pregnant, my BP has never gone about 118/60, and that is taken right after I've eaten. There is no history of cardiovascular disease on my family, and my arterial walls are "clean." (had a sonogram at DR's request).

So, the thing that worked for me was lowering my sugar intake, increasing my fiber, and counting my carbs. I eat more lean proteins, enjoy butter on my bread, and Mayo and low-sugar salad dressing. I'm done eating low-fat products... now pass me some BACON (LOL)

instead of searching the web - Real Food by Nina Plank. I've read it at least once a year every year since I found it. I tend to read it in January so I'm on the edge of my memory but I finally bought it so I don't have to find it at the library this time! Lots of good stuff, including that cholesterol has not proven to anything bad to your heart.

Saturated fats help raise HDL.....coconut oil is a good option, as is fermented grass-fed butter.

Increasing, even by a small amout (say a tablespoon a day) saturated fat and decreasing sugars and starches....HDL will go up and triglycerides will decline.

Edited by RahRah

After reading Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, we cut out almost all sugar/refined carbs. (Unfortunately, we're back on the sugar wagon with the abundance of tempting holiday treats everywhere. 5 lbs gained in no time! :glare: Anyway...must get off the stuff again. :tongue_smilie:) We don't do low-fat, and we eat plenty of eggs and dairy fat (lots of butter!) as well as a moderate amount of grass-fed beef.

Dh recently had his annual cholesterol check, and compared to last year (fairly high sugar consumption, though still less than the US average), his HDL increased by 10 points and his Triglycerides decreased. (LDL fell a bit, too, but that information doesn't actually convey anything about heart-health. Turns out there's 'good' LDL and 'bad', and it's not something normal labs test. LDL levels could lower, while the very-high-density LDL rises, which would spell increased risk, or vice versa. This is why the total cholesterol number is pretty much worthless, too.)

• 3 weeks later...

I started to reply to all the previous posts, but realized that I kept hitting :iagree: so often that it was beginning to look really silly :lol:. I agree with pretty much everyone, that the whole cholesterol thing is a myth, etc. That sugar is one of the biggest culprits when it comes to cholesterol (or pretty much anything). And that eggs are in fact good for you.

Here's some more info that may be of help. Not all of it is do-able for everyone, of course. ;)

Ideal HDL – As high as possible. Aim for at least 40.

Triglycerides are the most common fat in the body. They can be an independent and compounding cause of heart disease. Even if your cholesterol numbers are normal, you may still be in danger of developing cardiovascular disease if your triglycerides are high. What’s more statin drugs aren’t very effective at lowering them.

High triglyceride levels are commonly linked to metabolic syndrome (or prediabetes) and Type 2 diabetes, not to mention inflammation of the pancreas. High levels of these fats may also signal liver problems, in which fatty acids are poorly broken down and utilized, or even thyroid dysfunction.

If you have a roll of fat above your waistline, you probably have high triglycerides. Get a blood test to see.

Fast for at least 12 hours prior to blood testing for triglycerides. And be aware that taking vitamin C and certain medications—even before that 12-hour fast—can throw off your triglyceride level, resulting in an inaccurate reading.

Lower than 150 is desirable, and under 100 is ideal.

Even more important is the triglyceride/HDL (”good”) cholesterol ratio, which should be below 2 (triglycerides divided by your HDL number).

Triglycerides are relatively easy to control.

Triglycerides and HDL cholesterol are the “lifestyle lipids” because they are so responsive to everyday health habits.

Eating too many sweets (including HFCS), drinking too much alcohol, being overweight, and not getting enough exercise can raise triglycerides.

One cardiologist said how he’s seen patients’ triglyceride levels fall from 400 to less than 100 and their HDL levels rise significantly by simple lifestyle changes.

Eat as few processed and fried foods as possible

Limit high-fat meals

Limit simple carbohydrates and sugars like fruit juice, white potatoes, candy, and white pasta – your body converts empty calories it doesn’t need into triglycerides

Even too much fruit can raise triglycerides in some people.

Ratio of Triglyceride to HDL

This is a very good predictor of heart disease – divide your triglyceride level by HDL. The number should be under 5.

GREEN TEA contains several active bioflavonoids, which promote capillary and small vessel strength – great for overall heart health – supports the heart

Stimulates bile secretion and helps body eliminate excessive cholesterol – helps decrease total cholesterol, harmful LDL and triglycerides – it also appears to increase HDL

Try to buy organic green tea when you can, and store your tea in a dark, dry place.

Half cup cooked tomatoes daily or at least twice a week.

Lowers LDL and increases HDL

Works like aspirin in reducing risk of heart attack and stroke

Eat tomatoes cooked with olive oil.

Almonds and Other Nuts

Large handful (2.5 ounces or about 50 nuts) a day

Eating a handful of nuts 5 or more times a week can reduce your risk of developing heart disease.

Reach for almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, macadamia nuts, and walnuts. These are packed with monounsaturated fatty acids that raise HDL while lowering LDL. Like a broom, these fats help HDL sweep the cholesterol buildup to the liver for excretion.

Snack on these nuts or sprinkle them in salads and stir-fries. Sprinkle walnuts over a salad or toss with roasted root vegetables.

Garlic

Lowers cholesterol while increasing HDL (healthy) cholesterol and reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol

Can be used in food or in capsules

For artery health, take at least two cloves of garlic a day.

If you’re already taking any blood thinner, don’t use more than 1 clove of garlic a day

Garlic is a powerful anticoagulant, and high amounts could thin your blood too much - other than this, garlic is very safe

For the same reason, stop taking garlic one to two weeks before surgery

Niacin

• Raises good HDL cholesterol and lowers triglycerides.

• It enlarges the smallest, densest, most dangerous particles so they’re less likely to damage arteries

• Brings down levels of another harmful component of blood called lipoprotein (a), which is resistant to the benefits of statins, diet, and exercise.

You can’t get enough niacin in your diet to achieve the above results.

To gain a cardiovascular benefit, you need at least 500 mg.

At this dosage, many commonly experience flushing, which subsides within an hour. So, it’s best to avoid taking it right before leaving the house or going to sleep. These symptoms can be minimized if the niacin is taken with aspirin or a meal.

In fact, flushing is a positive sign that blood vessels are dilating in response to the niacin, and patients who flush ultimately raise their HDLs and lower their triglycerides more than those who don’t flush.

Niacin is more effective than niacinamide.

CAUTION:

• Do not take more than 2000 mg daily. Very high doses can damage the liver. One capsule of 500 mg per day is the usual recommendation.

• Be careful if you have prediabetes or diabetes. Niacin can raise levels of blood glucose. This effect is generally mild, though, and doesn’t outweigh its heart-protecting benefits. But it’s good to consult with your doctor before taking it.

• Also use caution if pregnant, have glaucoma, gout, liver disease, or peptic ulcers.

A good fish oil – such as Carlson’s - Take 1000 mg of fish oil

If you have high blood pressure, high triglycerides, or other signs of heart disease, 3-5 grams may be more helpful.

Talk with your doctor or pharmacist if you’re taking medications to make sure there are no negative interactions. Fish oils thin the blood just like aspirin, gingko biloba, and garlic. You don’t want to thin your blood so much that it causes bleeding.

Omega-3s keeps inflammation in your body in check

Some of the many conditions linked to inflammation in the body, include:

• Heart Disease

• Metabolic syndrome

• Obesity

• Type 2 diabetes

Omega-3's help:

• Decrease risk of heart disease and sudden death

• Raise HDL (good) cholesterol and lowering resting heart rates and triglyceride levels.

• Reduce severity of diabetes by balancing blood sugar and high insulin levels

• Trim dangerous belly fat linked to both cardiovascular disease and Type 2 diabetes

• Weight loss

• Reduce cravings for the wrong kinds of fat – such as those found in desserts and milk-based products

• Improve liver health and function

• Anyone with chronic kidney disease, which ups the risk for heart disease, may see improvements in blood pressure and heart rate after taking omega 3 fats

CAVEAT: DO NOT TAKE FISH OILS IF YOU ARE ON ANY BLOOD THINNER. OR WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF ANY PLANNED SURGERY. OR IF YOUR DOCTOR ADVISES YOU NOT TO TAKE.

Guggulipid is a waxy substance used extensively in India for the heart. It lowers LDL and raises HDL. One study showed that when people took 500 mg, twice a day, for 3 months, they lowered their total cholesterol by more than 23%. Guggulipid can be found in many cholesterol-lowering supplements.

Policosanol has been found great for LDL reduction, even better than statins! It also raises HDL levels.

It is effective in amounts of 5-20 mg per day. Start with the smallest dose.

Magnesium

Lowers total and LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, while raising HDL (good) cholesterol

Appears to reduce high blood pressure, cutting the risk of heart attack and stroke

Lessens the risk of heart arrhythmia and limits the complications of congestive heart failure

Magnesium, a natural calcium channel blocker, is an effective treatment for heart attacks and cardiac arrhythmias. An astounding number of studies have documented the effectiveness of IV magnesium in helping prevent cardiac damage and even death following a heart attack. The reason for this is that 40 to 60 percent of sudden deaths from heart attack are the result of spasm in the arteries, not blockage from clots or arrhythmias!

Without adequate magnesium, blood vessels constrict and blood pressure increases.

HOW MUCH TO TAKE

400-1200 mg daily of Magnesium is helpful but use according to bowel tolerance. Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption.

Magnesium and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. Minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, gluconate, and oxide. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

Most minerals are best taken as a team with other minerals in a multi-mineral formula.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

Grape Seed Extract has reversed atherosclerosis in animals. It lowers cholesterol and LDLs while raising HDLs. Use grape seed oil daily in your salad dressings, or take a GSE supplement. The active ingredient in GSE is resveratrol.

Vitamin C helps promote proper HDL ("good") cholesterol levels and the production of collagen and glycosaminoglycans, which provide structural strength to arterial walls

Vitamin C with bioflavonoids – 300 mg daily

If you’re prone to heartburn or acid reflux, avoid ascorbic acid – and opt for Ester-C.

High doses of ascorbic acid can also lead to kidney stones.

Regular, Brisk Exercise such as one hour of walking at least three times a week will work wonders. More physical exercise helps raise your HDL cholesterol and lower your LDL cholesterol.

It really depends on the individual. I get some of my patients of fruits for a while (especially if they want to lose weight). Again it really depends on each individual.

My understanding about fruit is that while it may be high in sugar, it's also high in fiber, which slows down the absorption of the sugar. This means the sugar doesn't "spike" in the blood.

Is this still the accepted wisdom? Was it ever the accepted wisdom?

My understanding about fruit is that while it may be high in sugar, it's also high in fiber, which slows down the absorption of the sugar. This means the sugar doesn't "spike" in the blood.

Is this still the accepted wisdom? Was it ever the accepted wisdom?

I don't know if it is the accepted wisdom, but it works for me. I can have fruit with no problem as long as I eat the whole fruit. I can tell a difference when I eat canned fruit, even in juice - I am starving again within an hour. Whole fruit doesn't do that to me.

I've been reading this: http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Fats-Omega-3s-Removed-California/dp/0520253809/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293872181&sr=8-1 and this has been telling me that the high cholesterol=heart disease is bunk too. Those plant sterol things in the margarine that lower cholesterol levels actually contribute to heart disease via raised blood pressure, inflammation and something else. Spiffy, huh?

As for keeping blood sugar levels constant, there is no need to panic and swear off fruit. By all means, toss the white sugar and flour, but for the most part it is more about organising what you eat properly, than banning everything that makes life enjoyable. Different bodies work in different ways, so I don't know what blanket statements can be made. Some here insist that grains are dreadful and I develop food psychosis (my term, not scientific :tongue_smilie:) if I don't have grains. The other spiffy thing is the hard and fast rules we've learned about our own bodies will change as we improve our situations, so we have to relearn.

If you want something fun to do, become a Queen of Cocktails. I don't mean alcoholic, I mean of salad dressings! Salad oils, providing you use good quality and not icky random plant extract, are a healthy way to get your required fats and vinegar regulates blood sugar. Not to mention that most salads are full of nice, raw veggies, and we could all do with a bit more raw. This book is a good one for learning more about oils: http://www.amazon.com/New-Vital-Oils-Ultimate-Radiant/dp/0091876699/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1293920771&sr=8-3 but it is a bit out of date now so I'd be interested if anyone knows of a more updated book on the topic.

Rosie

I would say drink a glass of red wine a couple nights a week. My husband good cholesterol was very low and his doctor told him to drink red wine for a few months a come back to get tested again. Well he went back and his levels were normal and has been normal every since.

Y'know, the same active ingredient is present in prunes, which means you can get the benefits without any of that nasty alcohol! ;)

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

I started to reply to all the previous posts, but realized that I kept hitting :iagree: so often that it was beginning to look really silly :lol:. I agree with pretty much everyone, that the whole cholesterol thing is a myth, etc. That sugar is one of the biggest culprits when it comes to cholesterol (or pretty much anything). And that eggs are in fact good for you.

Here's some more info that may be of help. Not all of it is do-able for everyone, of course. ;)

Ideal HDL – As high as possible. Aim for at least 40.

Triglycerides are the most common fat in the body. They can be an independent and compounding cause of heart disease. Even if your cholesterol numbers are normal, you may still be in danger of developing cardiovascular disease if your triglycerides are high. What’s more statin drugs aren’t very effective at lowering them.

High triglyceride levels are commonly linked to metabolic syndrome (or prediabetes) and Type 2 diabetes, not to mention inflammation of the pancreas. High levels of these fats may also signal liver problems, in which fatty acids are poorly broken down and utilized, or even thyroid dysfunction.

If you have a roll of fat above your waistline, you probably have high triglycerides. Get a blood test to see.

Fast for at least 12 hours prior to blood testing for triglycerides. And be aware that taking vitamin C and certain medications—even before that 12-hour fast—can throw off your triglyceride level, resulting in an inaccurate reading.

Lower than 150 is desirable, and under 100 is ideal.

Even more important is the triglyceride/HDL (â€goodâ€) cholesterol ratio, which should be below 2 (triglycerides divided by your HDL number).

Triglycerides and HDL cholesterol are the “lifestyle lipids†because they are so responsive to everyday health habits.

Eating too many sweets (including HFCS), drinking too much alcohol, being overweight, and not getting enough exercise can raise triglycerides.

One cardiologist said how he’s seen patients’ triglyceride levels fall from 400 to less than 100 and their HDL levels rise significantly by simple lifestyle changes.

Eat as few processed and fried foods as possible

Limit high-fat meals

Limit simple carbohydrates and sugars like fruit juice, white potatoes, candy, and white pasta – your body converts empty calories it doesn’t need into triglycerides

Even too much fruit can raise triglycerides in some people.

This is a very good predictor of heart disease – divide your triglyceride level by HDL. The number should be under 5.

GREEN TEA contains several active bioflavonoids, which promote capillary and small vessel strength – great for overall heart health – supports the heart

Stimulates bile secretion and helps body eliminate excessive cholesterol – helps decrease total cholesterol, harmful LDL and triglycerides – it also appears to increase HDL

Try to buy organic green tea when you can, and store your tea in a dark, dry place.

Half cup cooked tomatoes daily or at least twice a week.

Lowers LDL and increases HDL

Works like aspirin in reducing risk of heart attack and stroke

Eat tomatoes cooked with olive oil.

Almonds and Other Nuts

Large handful (2.5 ounces or about 50 nuts) a day

Eating a handful of nuts 5 or more times a week can reduce your risk of developing heart disease.

Reach for almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, macadamia nuts, and walnuts. These are packed with monounsaturated fatty acids that raise HDL while lowering LDL. Like a broom, these fats help HDL sweep the cholesterol buildup to the liver for excretion.

Snack on these nuts or sprinkle them in salads and stir-fries. Sprinkle walnuts over a salad or toss with roasted root vegetables.

Garlic

Lowers cholesterol while increasing HDL (healthy) cholesterol and reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol

Can be used in food or in capsules

For artery health, take at least two cloves of garlic a day.

If you’re already taking any blood thinner, don’t use more than 1 clove of garlic a day

Garlic is a powerful anticoagulant, and high amounts could thin your blood too much - other than this, garlic is very safe

For the same reason, stop taking garlic one to two weeks before surgery

Niacin

• Raises good HDL cholesterol and lowers triglycerides.

• It enlarges the smallest, densest, most dangerous particles so they’re less likely to damage arteries

• Brings down levels of another harmful component of blood called lipoprotein (a), which is resistant to the benefits of statins, diet, and exercise.

You can’t get enough niacin in your diet to achieve the above results.

To gain a cardiovascular benefit, you need at least 500 mg.

At this dosage, many commonly experience flushing, which subsides within an hour. So, it’s best to avoid taking it right before leaving the house or going to sleep. These symptoms can be minimized if the niacin is taken with aspirin or a meal.

In fact, flushing is a positive sign that blood vessels are dilating in response to the niacin, and patients who flush ultimately raise their HDLs and lower their triglycerides more than those who don’t flush.

Niacin is more effective than niacinamide.

CAUTION:

• Do not take more than 2000 mg daily. Very high doses can damage the liver. One capsule of 500 mg per day is the usual recommendation.

• Be careful if you have prediabetes or diabetes. Niacin can raise levels of blood glucose. This effect is generally mild, though, and doesn’t outweigh its heart-protecting benefits. But it’s good to consult with your doctor before taking it.

• Also use caution if pregnant, have glaucoma, gout, liver disease, or peptic ulcers.

A good fish oil – such as Carlson’s - Take 1000 mg of fish oil

If you have high blood pressure, high triglycerides, or other signs of heart disease, 3-5 grams may be more helpful.

Talk with your doctor or pharmacist if you’re taking medications to make sure there are no negative interactions. Fish oils thin the blood just like aspirin, gingko biloba, and garlic. You don’t want to thin your blood so much that it causes bleeding.

Omega-3s keeps inflammation in your body in check

Some of the many conditions linked to inflammation in the body, include:

• Heart Disease

• Metabolic syndrome

• Obesity

• Type 2 diabetes

Omega-3's help:

• Decrease risk of heart disease and sudden death

• Raise HDL (good) cholesterol and lowering resting heart rates and triglyceride levels.

• Reduce severity of diabetes by balancing blood sugar and high insulin levels

• Trim dangerous belly fat linked to both cardiovascular disease and Type 2 diabetes

• Weight loss

• Reduce cravings for the wrong kinds of fat – such as those found in desserts and milk-based products

• Improve liver health and function

• Anyone with chronic kidney disease, which ups the risk for heart disease, may see improvements in blood pressure and heart rate after taking omega 3 fats

CAVEAT: DO NOT TAKE FISH OILS IF YOU ARE ON ANY BLOOD THINNER. OR WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF ANY PLANNED SURGERY. OR IF YOUR DOCTOR ADVISES YOU NOT TO TAKE.

Thank you! I am getting Carlson's liquid fish oil from amazon now. I saw very good reviews there about the lemon one.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel very stressed and bad about myself after two or three years of testing low on HDL.

My weight is on the normal to thin range and I exercise quite a bit. For example in the summer when my children play in the park, I am much more active than they. I would do jump rope for over 30 minutes, or T-Tapp, or yoga poses, you name it. I never or seldom sit on the bench doing nothing. I don't like to read in public, so doing exercise seems the right fit for me in the park.

In the winter, I ice skate, walk, or climb stairs of 24 for 40 times at a time.

I eat 2 T freshly ground flax seeds daily, I try to eat whole grain rice, wheat flour, oats, and other healthy things and almost never eat beef. I try to eat salmon as much as I can. We eat lots of veggies and fruit in our family.

I just ordered Carlson's Finest Fish oil lemon from amazon.

However, both my dh and I are low on HDl with all the things I (we) have done and eaten. I am really not to blame for that low number.

I was very unhappy and stressed about this the last few days, but there is not much I can do.

One woman told me her number is even much lower than mine and she has always done everything good to raise her level, but nothing changes. So I guess I will keep doing the right thing and relax about it.

Yep, low carb. Or at least avoiding too much starch and sugar. Also having enough fat in your diet. Sounds crazy, but it has worked for me.

:iagree: with everyone who says lower carb, with more protein/fat to even out blood sugar levels. Almost every person I know who is on cholesterol-lowering medication has some sort of sign of a "hidden" sugar issue (hidden in that many docs don't seem to look too hard for it, as in not much beyond getting a fasting glucose), whether weight, family history of diabetes (my older brother is on cholesterol meds; my dad was a thin type 2 diabetic), PCOS (me! but I'm not on cholesterol-lowering meds), etc., or just plain eats too much in the carb category (my maternal grandmother). Insulin/glucose issues and cholesterol are related.

A plant based diet. Cut meat and dairy right down. Vegans have low cholesterol. I dont agree with Atkins (he died morbidly obese btw). I don't think it's healthy long term, even if it changes your statistics. Losing a whole food group, demonising carbs, is not healthy- and it's unsustainable in the long term.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't eat some fat, even saturated fat. But supplements really should be secondary to a healthy plant based diet.

What info do you all have about meat and dairy from grass fed animals? Is that supposed to be a lot healthier? Would switching to that have much effect on cholesterol levels?

I know grass fed beef is supposed to be somewhat leaner, but I'm wondering what info you might have on the conjugated linoleic acids that are supposed to be in grass fed beef.

A plant based diet. Cut meat and dairy right down. Vegans have low cholesterol. I dont agree with Atkins (he died morbidly obese btw). I don't think it's healthy long term, even if it changes your statistics. Losing a whole food group, demonising carbs, is not healthy- and it's unsustainable in the long term.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't eat some fat, even saturated fat. But supplements really should be secondary to a healthy plant based diet.

Atkins doesn't eliminate all carbs. The first 10 days does, as much as possible, but from that point on Atkins adherants are supposed to begin to add in fruits and whole wheat products and other carbs as they lose weight, until they reach their goal weight. Atkins also includes low carb veggies and green salad.

Negin's post had a lot of really good info pulled together in one place, but I think there is a typo in her post. In the first spot she posts an optimal trig:HDL ratio of < 2, which is correct. In the second quote, she has a typo (??), stating it there as 5. Should 2 or less.

Thank, Negin, for all your info.

<<snip >>

Even more important is the triglyceride/HDL (â€goodâ€) cholesterol ratio, which should be below 2 (triglycerides divided by your HDL number).

<<snip>>

<<snip>>

Peela, I know you have a gentle heart from your posts here over many years, so it surprises me that this is in your post. If you look at the Snopes website there is a nice piece on Atkin's end of life, and the rumor that he passed from morbid obesity is based on some very extenuating circumstances. My own father gained 55 pounds over a three week period, from post-surgery complications while he was in the hospital for open heart surgery.* All his life he ranged between 160-170 pounds, and once his body's functions returned to normal, that fluid weight disappeared.

The speculation and finger-pointing that has transpired on the net leaves me sad. I can understand how people who so vehemently disagree with his priciples would succumb to their baser emotions if they thought his own principles caused his demise. The cause of his death is far from certain, but truly, being our better selves, shouldn't we feel sorrow if someone dies from the very disease and suffering they were trying to alleviate?

*He needed valve replacement due to damage from scarlet fever that he contracted as a child.

Edited by Valerie(TX)

Yes, it may be a myth that Atkins died obese, and I am sorry if that is the case (although I did recently read a lengthy article about it). However I stand by the notion that a plant based diet is a far safer way to go than one that is so high in meat and protein. Most traditional cultures did not (and do not) eat a diet high in meat- meat was an extra, and plants were the mainstay.

If carbs are so bad for us, why on earth aren't the Chinese and Indians, whose diet revolves around rice- and white rice at that, why on earth don't they have high cholesterol, heart disease etc?

I totally agree that the whole cholesterol thing is not as clear as the authorities have made out. And that sugar and refined carbs as we in the west eat them, are not healthy. And that eggs, whole fats, including saturated fats, are healthy- in moderation. We do need cholesterol. It is essential. I have read all that stuff too.

What I don't agree with is the whole carbs are bad thing. We in the west have taken our carb obsession to an extreme because we eat so much refined sugar and refined white flour products. Then we go and demonise all carbs, when in fact, just cutting out the refined ones would bring most people back into healthy balance. Some peope don't do well with any grains, (which may be a result of their bodies rebelling after a refined grain diet) but potatoes are carbs too. Also, we are obsessed with low fat food- that is a form of refining our food that tricks our bodies.

Real food is the answer. Not cutting out major food groups. With a real food diet, you get your healthy cholesterol, you get all your fats, you get your fibre, your anti oxidants etc, and your brain isnt tricked with chemicals, overly refined foods, foods with fats taken out. It is also sustainable- you cant sustain a diet with major food groups removed, whether its fats, proteins or carbs.

Also, we are obsessed with nutrition and we lose touch with the bigger picture. Food is food, and we are meant to relate to it in a certain, wholesome way, including socially...not analyse it to death and think of it in terms of this or that nutrient, and make ourselves unable to eat sociably. Not to the extreme we are doing, anyway.

You get healthy cholesterol levels by eating real food, a plant based diet, some meat and whole dairy if you like but that shouldn't be central. Refined oils are not so good- butter, olive and coconut oils are traditional oils used. All the modern diets that have names on them- such as Atkins- make people money, and are experiements- I love to experiement but I wouldn't base my life or health on it long term.

JMHO and where I am at on my own journey as a life long health obsessed, healthy diet obsessed, widely read food nut. Finally...something my husband, also a trained naturopath, always used to say when he was in practice- its not what you eat, usually, that is the issue- it is what you DON'T eat. As in, cut out the bad offenders...he frequently had people get well just from cutting daily Coke out of their diet, or sugar. Its often simple.

I mostly agree with you, Peela. Whole grains, potatoes, fruits, veggies, beans -- they are the health foods. Diets that consist of these, and only these, cure cancer, osteoporosis, heart disease, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. (Just google Star McDougallers for all kinds of testimonies.)

Peela is only promoting a plant-based diet (with certain non-plant additions) because she cares about the health of everybody on this board. She really wants the best for you.