Menu

Mix-up in admission office= who should call>

TravelingChris

One college that was supposed to be notifying my dd today instead yesterday sent an email about how her application isn't complete. It had been complete when she applied but they apparently thought she should have a transcript from a cc she was attending fall semester before the semester even ended. As it is, the transcript for the class that ended Friday (and I am not sure when grades are posted), probably won't be available to that college until January. Now should I call the admissions counselor and explain this or should she? Obviously they made a mistake and should be either admitting her or denying her today (unless the grade is a deciding factor in which case what she could do sooner, I guess, is give the college her password for her college account and they can see that she received 100% on every single assignment. I am so totally upset by this.

Dd went through this with a college admission's department that did not want the admission's essays stapled to the application. So, they misplaced her essays and then claimed she didn't sent them. But, we were smart and had her fax everything first and then mail the originals. So, they had her essays in TWO forms and still lost them...I get that they deal with an awful lot of paperwork.

We decided that this was a good opportunity for dd to begin dealing with adult issues without mom and dad's assistance. We had her do the calling. But, we rehearsed it with her ahead of time so that she would feel confident...we thought of things they might say or ask and her formulate her responses ahead of time. Then we sat with her while she spoke to the admission's department on speaker phone. It was resolved easily and I think it helped her establish her view of herself as an adult.

So, I would be inclined to allow her to handle it first but help her chart her course of action and rehearse what to say and how to say it. If she is professional, confident, and well spoken, it will speak volumes to the person handling the problem. If they blow her off and are not helpful, then you - the angry parent either paying for her college or at least assisting here (yeah, the money part talks....grrr...), can get involved.

Faith

First she called her counselor and she had voice mail on so she contacted the admissions office staff. THey told her to email her counselor and she did. Then I called and left a message much later that morning or maybe around noon. The admissions counselor just called me and told me she will be ordering her file this afternoon and start reviewing it and DD should have decision by next week. Now the good thing is that since I was talking to the admin counselor, I was better able to explain what this class was, how well she did in it, how rigorous the class was and also how much research she does for team policy debates.