Menu

Has anyone used McRuffy LA?

happyWImom

We are using McRuffy Math, and love it. I've been perusing the site, and the LA really appeals to me. Currently, we are using LLATL, and like it so far (just started) but I'm concerned by all of the negative reviews. Yes, I've seen some positive ones too, but after the whole "low expectations" thread, I'm questioning myself!:D Not really that, but I feel like I need to have dd catch up a bit, and don't know if LLATL will accomplish that. I like the idea of an all in one program, as long as it's thorough.

I've been using it with my dd who just turned 9 before Thanksgiving. She is a late bloomer when it comes to reading and after doing all of the K level and up to lesson 80 of the 1st grade level she's doing really well. She seems to have recently taken off in reading and brought me the first Magic Tree House chapter book about a week ago. She's able to read a chapter of that in about 10-15 minutes, with a little help on harder words like "Pteranodon" I have really liked the program and am using the K level with my son at a slower pace (he's struggling with blending sounds) so we've kind of parked ourselves at lesson 22 for now.

I like that everything is in one place, I don't need another spelling program or grammar. The grammar is pretty light, but at that age I think it's appropriate. I like that the spelling ties in with the phonics (which is what I think finally helped it all click in my dd's mind. Spelling came to her much easier than reading), the games for reinforcement are also great and enjoyed by all here, even my 11 year old likes playing them with his younger siblings.

My signature will reflect that I've recently switched my dd to explode the code but only because of her large leap in ability, but I will keep the McRuffy things around just in case we need to revisit them as well for my younger son when he needs them.

Hi,

We use both Math and the LA. I like that it is all in one. I did not like the idea of piecing together a language arts program. I have reccomended this program to all that I know because I feel like it is very thorough and fun at the same time. My children are doing extremely well with this curriculum.

peace,

candace

I'll jump in with a few thoughts. We are on roughly Lesson 70 (out of 175) in McRuffy K Phonics/Reading. I ordered several phonics programs before settling on this one.

(Caveat: we did spend DD's Pre-K year using Jolly Phonics to learn her letter, vowel, and diagraph sounds.)

Things I like about McRuffy Phonics:

• It features solid phonics with a few extra topics like rhyming, capitalizing proper nouns, and how to make a noun plural. I am not a phonics expert, but the instruction strikes me as traditional, incremental, and thorough. Granted - we are still on CVC words, but I have looked ahead to future levels and still been impressed.
  • The author has obviously worked very hard to vary the materials and address a variety of learning styles. The daily worksheets are in different formats, and the supplemental games/puppets/coloring sheets are available for different learning styles. One can also ignore many of these supplements if one chooses.
  • The light scripting works for me - there when I need it, but not so oppressive and rigid that it drives me crazy.
  • The program is virtually open-and-go. Sometimes I do have to spend a few moments cutting out a game or making sliders.
  • The thorough planning makes it easy to get phonics DONE every day.
  • The kids read simple books starting fairly early in the year (maybe 4-5 weeks in?). We read a new book every week and then repeat it all week long. Obviously, beginning phonics books are extremely limited in vocabulary, but the McRuffy books are cute and often funny. My 5 yo gets a kick out of them.
  • Handwriting and spelling are included, but it is extremely easy to drop one or both of them if you want. I personally use a different handwriting program, but find the simple spelling words are quite helpful in reinforcing phonics.

I just don't have any dislikes at this point. Sometimes I find myself impatient to go a bit faster, but that's probably because DD knew her letter sounds before beginning. Every time I think about skipping a lesson, however, I look through the materials and find some little subtle nugget that I don't want her to miss. :) And they do cover a lot of ground by the end of the kindergarten year.

Hope this helps!

Another McRuffy LA user here. We loved the K program. Now I still love the grade 1 program, it is just at a different pace. There is more grammar and spelling in this one. You still get the phonics and such just not so hard core about it. Which is nice, because the K program did an awesome job.

Now I dropped LLATL thinking it was just not right for us. I thought my son was not getting it, or learning what needed to be learned at that moment. Well I was wrong, he remembers everything we did with LLATL. The words he remembers the most are from when we were doing that program. So, needless to say it is a very good program as well. Imo Now I have found myself pulling it off the shelf and doing a bit of that with our McRuffy.

I'll jump in with a few thoughts. We are on roughly Lesson 70 (out of 175) in McRuffy K Phonics/Reading. I ordered several phonics programs before settling on this one.

(Caveat: we did spend DD's Pre-K year using Jolly Phonics to learn her letter, vowel, and diagraph sounds.)

Things I like about McRuffy Phonics:

• It features solid phonics with a few extra topics like rhyming, capitalizing proper nouns, and how to make a noun plural. I am not a phonics expert, but the instruction strikes me as traditional, incremental, and thorough. Granted - we are still on CVC words, but I have looked ahead to future levels and still been impressed.

• The author has obviously worked very hard to vary the materials and address a variety of learning styles. The daily worksheets are in different formats, and the supplemental games/puppets/coloring sheets are available for different learning styles. One can also ignore many of these supplements if one chooses.

• The light scripting works for me - there when I need it, but not so oppressive and rigid that it drives me crazy.

• The program is virtually open-and-go. Sometimes I do have to spend a few moments cutting out a game or making sliders.

• The thorough planning makes it easy to get phonics DONE every day.

• The kids read simple books starting fairly early in the year (maybe 4-5 weeks in?). We read a new book every week and then repeat it all week long. Obviously, beginning phonics books are extremely limited in vocabulary, but the McRuffy books are cute and often funny. My 5 yo gets a kick out of them.

• Handwriting and spelling are included, but it is extremely easy to drop one or both of them if you want. I personally use a different handwriting program, but find the simple spelling words are quite helpful in reinforcing phonics.

I just don't have any dislikes at this point. Sometimes I find myself impatient to go a bit faster, but that's probably because DD knew her letter sounds before beginning. Every time I think about skipping a lesson, however, I look through the materials and find some little subtle nugget that I don't want her to miss. :) And they do cover a lot of ground by the end of the kindergarten year.

Hope this helps!

I agree with all your points. We are also in the middle of K and love it! I can't wait to buy the math and get started on that, too.