Menu

Incarcero--Anyone read it? Appropriate for 10yg who likes Funke?

I've read it. It is a bit dark and there is some violence, but it's a very interesting concept! I'm getting ready to read the next one...

I think you could read the first 30 pages or so and really get a feel for whether or not you'd like her to read it. There is little or no cursing that I remember. There IS some hope in the book, and building friendships, so the dark aspects are not so heavy and hopeless that I wouldn't want to read the next book. The only aspect that might be over her head, possibly, is the world-building, which I found to be a bit confusing. There are all of these different areas of Incarceron and back and forth between the 2 worlds that could be hard to follow or imagine for a younger reader. But it's exciting and intriguing, IMO.

Edited by 6packofun
,m,

• 1 year later...

Bumping this for some updated opinions.

I'm okay with the level of violence in the Ender's Game series but have decided to wait on the Hunger Games and Maze Runner series for my DD.

She recently received a gift certificate to the Scholastic catalog and I'm having difficulty finding books that are (A) challenging enough (B) don't have inappropriate content and © she doesn't already own.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this revived thread. CW, have you seen City of Ember and the sequels? Dd is reading them now as a 12yo. They are pretty easy vocab-wise, and there's some neat "world building" as I have found out it's called. LOL--I'm not a big fantasy person, so this is still new to me.

We are also waiting on HGames.

Hi Mrs M--yes, she read those quite a while ago and really enjoyed them!

Since being in public school, she's been introduced to more "typical" 5-6-7th grade books, like Origami Yoda and Al Capone Does My Shirts. She did read Little Women this summer for a summer assignment from her ps 7th grade.

I'd just love to get her into something classic or more complex without going too much into the "our world as a yucky place" stuff--We had so much drama with ds that we really stayed away from societal issues in her earlier reading, and it seems so much of YA stuff is either fantasy/vampire or boyfriend/girlfriend or divorce/suicide/eating disorder.

I'd just love to get her into something classic or more complex without going too much into the "our world as a yucky place" stuff--We had so much drama with ds that we really stayed away from societal issues in her earlier reading, and it seems so much of YA stuff is either fantasy/vampire or boyfriend/girlfriend or divorce/suicide/eating disorder.

Has she read the Wrinkle in Time books? How about the Robin McKinley books?

We ended up getting the four-book series that starts with City of Ember. It's lighter and more middle-schoolish than some of the other sci-fi. I read all 4 in a couple of days, and she's on the second one. Not terribly well-written/beautiful but pretty solid and a good intro into that sort of apocalyptic/now we have a new world stuff.